Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-15-2015, 06:31 PM

Default Moose Huntiing WMU 356

Hi there, Got my moose draw for zone 356 spent 5 days up in that area on two lakes road the first of October we saw 1 moose and that was it. I am planning on going back up for 3-4 days would like some ideas as to were to go I live in lethbridge so it is 10 hour drive up there. Would really like to get my moose this year any advice as to where to go late season would be greatly appreciated or any guys that want to go for a ride a long that would be great as well lol. Thanks so much in advance.
Old 10-15-2015, 07:45 PM

Ya see the most moose where you spent the most time, lol.

I'm not much help to you as I've not really hunted south of town for a good 10 yrs. nose mountain road off the wayerheuser is a good place to start I think, get down some lease roads and into some of the lower looking country around there.
We do go to 2 lakes fishing quite a bit and between nose and chinook ridge looks ok, after the ridge gets quiet except for grizzlies. Biggest moose I've seen was on top of chinook though.
Dad used to go along the kakwa off hwy40 but that area has been pummelled with new roads and oil activity the last few years its almost unbelievable.
There's pockets of em all over the zone, someone will chime in with some more specific info for you hopefully as that's a long trip for some meat!
Old 10-15-2015, 11:30 PM

There are pockets where there are higher concentrations of moose in that area.
The biggest moose we've shot in the area are down towards the Rife Plant but the numbers are lower down there.
Spend some time around Shop road, Rocky road and Linda lane and you'll get into moose.
Another good area is around long lake but be careful where you hunt as that is on the border of 355/356.
I hope that helps you out. This will be the first time in 19 years that I won't hunt that area. Have fun!
Old 10-16-2015, 10:07 AM

Tuffbuff thanks so much for the info when I am up there I will for sure check those places out. IVO it sounds like you know the area pretty well hunting in there for 19 years that lake sounds like a great spot. I looked it up on google maps and it looks like a good spot to go. Thanks for the info you guys are the best I really do appreciate it.
Old 10-16-2015, 12:42 PM

Default Yep

Another good spot for moose is a little farther south on hey 40 called teddy lane, moose in there and elk as u can get right down to the smokey river..lots of grizz
and wolves too. Nose mountain used to be good getting wiped out by wolves grizz and natives. Great country miss living up there every season. Good luck
Darrell
Old 10-16-2015, 03:26 PM

I found in 356 nose mountain has been good for me in the past and a few years back I tried the forestry trunk road just south of the canfor road. there are a few roads with older clear cuts to the west where I harvested a 46" a few years back. Try to find some old clear cuts and walk the tree line. Good luck and be aware of the grizzlies in the area. Look forward to the pics
Old 10-17-2015, 12:55 AM

Totally agree with howie nose mtn was great to me for moose. Took a few Bulls out of there threw out the years...
Old 10-17-2015, 01:39 PM

Not to hijack but I was down at teddy lane yesterday. Lots of work going on and a sign saying radio equipped vehicles only?
Old 10-18-2015, 10:28 AM

Not hard to find something 45"-55" inches. Just get out of the truck. Tons of big moose local outfitter I work with guides several 50+".

Tags
356, draw, moose, nose mountain, two lakes