Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-11-2019, 05:08 PM

Default Anyone available to scout the Red Deer river? June 19-20

Hi:

Going to take my CTF Wildlife students for a full day of fly-fishing on June 21st.

I'll be scouting the Freeman river on June 20th, I don't suppose anyone here knows in advance if they might be, or could be fishing the Red Deer river right below the Dickson Dam during that week? The Red Deer river is my back-up plan. I'll want to know if it's worth it. Course, it could be swollen and full of rain...who knows.

If anyone can help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it, as would the students.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 06-18-2019, 07:29 PM

Default Haha...good luck with that

Well, bumping to the top.

Yeah, I know rain is going to blowout every river from here to Kingdom Come.

I did have a question about dams though, and water release.

So I have approval from the school board to take my students to fish the Red Deer R right below the Dickson Dam.

So...even with all the rain, is there a chance the operators of the dam will hold back water, and the Red Deer might actually be fishable on Friday, despite the rain? Or...is it there will be so much rain they'll be forced to release water.

Anyways, all good, kids will be going to a pond if the rivers are done. I was just curious about how rain affects the decision making for dam-water release.

Cheers,
Smitty

P.S. So...if anyone has a report on the Red Deer R @ Dickson dam, much appreciated! Of course, I am keeping my eye on https://rivers.alberta.ca/
Old 06-18-2019, 11:45 PM

As far as water let off from a dam that can change pretty quick. Microbursts and localized thunderstorms can raise a river a foot in an hour so a dam must have to prepare for "gushes" flowing into the reservoir by opening the flow a bit.

A back up to a back up could be the dickson trout pond. It's right beside Glennifer lake too so the students could fish both.

You can check this for 6 hour reports and other data too. https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/mainmen...a_index_e.html
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets

Last edited by Red Bullets; 06-19-2019 at 12:13 AM.