Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-10-2013, 05:42 PM

Default Slow on slave???????

Ok so I have fished slave for over a decade now and have been there when the bite was on catching 2 At a time on rigs and catching every cast 30 in a row. But I have a question my wife and I were at spruce point park this last week and I heard many guys come off and say it was slow........ Over the 3 days we spent we probably fished 16 hours +\~ and caught 35 eyes and 10 pike......is that slow????? Secondly most of those were keepers a couple 60cm plus. So would you rather catch lots of little ones or have a steady bite of larger ones? Just wondering ?
Old 06-10-2013, 08:49 PM

Slave has been ok for me. Its just seems like the usual spot for this time of year are not producing. Did some moving around last week and got in to some decent Walleyes.
Old 06-15-2013, 03:57 PM

there is a reason its called fishing and not catching.........some days are WAY better than others and its those days that keep you coming back for more
Old 06-16-2013, 12:44 PM

We came back from salve fishing last week and was about the norm. Although for this time of year we were fishing 8 feet usually this year was 5-6 feet. We started deeper and was catching limited numbers floated in shallower and bite was on. Caught 100s of walleye and 2 pike both decent sized 5 and 7 pounds. I did notice this year the size was up on the walleye. We caught multiples at 63-65 cm and 3.5- just under 4 pounds. We caught probably only a handful that would have been not keepers. Found tho this time it seemed everyday changed what colour jig they went for and bait they would bite on.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lund rebel View Post
We came back from salve fishing last week and was about the norm. Although for this time of year we were fishing 8 feet usually this year was 5-6 feet. We started deeper and was catching limited numbers floated in shallower and bite was on. Caught 100s of walleye and 2 pike both decent sized 5 and 7 pounds. I did notice this year the size was up on the walleye. We caught multiples at 63-65 cm and 3.5- just under 4 pounds. We caught probably only a handful that would have been not keepers. Found tho this time it seemed everyday changed what colour jig they went for and bait they would bite on.
Just curious, what everyone considers keeping size.

My keep slot is always 43cm to 50cm at slave. Anything over 50 goes back.

Same with any other lake, or if they have 50cm+ limit, we generally don't take any because those are the hardest to catch on bad lakes like Fawcett.
Old 06-16-2013, 01:10 PM

Went there last Thursday and got skunked first time I ever got shut out at Slave. We went to Cross on the way home and had some better luck though
Old 06-16-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graffy91 View Post
Just curious, what everyone considers keeping size.

My keep slot is always 43cm to 50cm at slave. Anything over 50 goes back.

Same with any other lake, or if they have 50cm+ limit, we generally don't take any because those are the hardest to catch on bad lakes like Fawcett.
We personally throw back every fish we catch neither of us eat fish. but the group we went with keep fish. We threw back the bigger ones to repopulate for next year keep the ones just under 50 but there are so many people fishing out there keep anything at the cleaning shack saw some large ones and some really small ones would have been no where near keepers but as we were fishing on the reserve up there not sure how rules work for locals.
Old 06-16-2013, 05:20 PM

we just came back from there yesterday, it would have been nice to even get out on the water, the wind had it boiling
Old 06-16-2013, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
we just came back from there yesterday, it would have been nice to even get out on the water, the wind had it boiling
i was out in that crap early and the bite was ON!....today...not so much