Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-08-2008, 09:01 PM

Default CBC does it again

As many of you are no doubt aware, CBC in their infinite wisdom have decided to dump the Hockey Nite in Canada theme from their broadcasts. The issue is over a lawsuit and royalties they have to pay the composer. She recieves 500 every time it is played. My comment is who cares over the year thats maybe 10 000 for the year. If your a hockey fan that theme is our equivelant to Take me out to the Ballgame, it defines hockey in canada. But really what do I expect from a public broadcaster that constantly ignores the taxpayers that fund it. I cannot wait until the day the CBC goes down the toilet, bad decision after bad decision year after year. Time to take it out behind the barn and put it down
Old 06-08-2008, 10:33 PM

Default Cbc

That is just stupid money to ask for. CBC is making the right business choice. I'll still watch HNIC regardless.
How about you, do you watch HNIC just because of the tune?
Old 06-08-2008, 10:43 PM

IMO GPBuzz,
HNIC has got off pretty light in the past 40 years.
It's time now to pay 5 - 10X that to the composer.
They have the $ coming IMO.

TBark
Old 06-08-2008, 11:19 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong...but the same day that CBC announced getting a new song, there was such an uproar that Country 105 reported they retracted their decision and are sticking with the Hockey Night in Canada Theme.
Old 06-08-2008, 11:32 PM

I don't care what CBC does i can live without the theme. As much as it is a cool theme it isn't essential to the broadcasts.
Old 06-09-2008, 12:32 AM

Default Stompin Tom

Frankly, who cares about the song. I grew up with it, and many did. Talk to Stomping Tom and offer him five hundred bucks for the Good Ol' Hockey game. The crazy bastard would be honored. It is a better song, and if they played it then no one would complain. Frankly, nothing wrong with change. If that lady does not want the coin, give it to the above for mentioned old codger'. In my humble opinion which is worth approximately 3 cents, cause of inflation, this is all hype and hysteria. This is all publicity, and watch it all unfold. They will make a deal with the old broad for double the asking price. It is a poker game, and this old lady is hold a full house, and CBC is got two pair, jacks high. One last point, when are they going to can Bob Cole. I half to watch NBC broadcast, although I had to turn back because Mcguire (TSN dude) was getting on my nerves. I wish someone in the NHL would hire him again, so I do not have to listen to him. Unfortunately, no NHL brass wants to listen to that old airbag, either. I gotta wonder when CBC has talents like that Hewson, and Simpson, why are they not considered their dream team. At least I get to listen to Hewson on Blue Jay telecasts. He seems a bit lost at times with Baseball, but he has a good voice, and he will catch on.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:46 AM
Banned

CBC needs to replace the play by play anouncer with PETER MARR
Old 06-09-2008, 06:43 AM
troller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanonfodder View Post
My comment is who cares over the year thats maybe 10 000 for the year.
You think that song is only played 20 times a season? Add a zero on the end of your number and you will be getting a little closer. Also, it's not the cbc that is holding out, it's the composer. I think it's a pretty sweet deal getting 500 bucks for a song that has played for 40 years and would be rather worthless now without the NHL.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impatient_hunter View Post
I don't care what CBC does i can live without the theme. As much as it is a cool theme it isn't essential to the broadcasts.

1968 is when it was introduced and it is essential to hockey in Canada as much as Oh Canada IMHO.
Old 06-09-2008, 10:54 AM

I really could care less about what song they play. But it strikes me the theme is a pretty small part of the total broadcast costs, and they have burnt up any potential savings dealing with the public fall-out. Probably should have just signed on for another ten years.

God, this is the first time I've ever seen the CBC concerned about money, and they picked this small potatoes item?
Old 06-09-2008, 04:54 PM

Default TSN trumps CBC again

I know most hee dont care but I felt this song is as Canadaina as Toques and Maple Syrup. Nice to see CTV and TSN making a fool out of the Mother corp again. There product is so vastly superior to the CBC broadcasts, I say good for them

THE CANADIAN PRESS

TORONTO -- The saga of CBC's "Hockey Night in Canada" theme song took a surprising turn Monday as rival network CTV announced it has acquired the rights to the iconic tune.

CTV said it will use the song on NHL broadcasts on TSN, RDS and during the broadcaster's coverage of the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver.

"The song has a long and storied history in Canadian sports and has become ingrained in the hearts and minds of hockey fans across the country," said Rick Brace, CTV president of revenue, business planning and sports.

"It is an iconic tune, embraced by Canadians everywhere, and we felt it was imperative to save it. We know it will be in hockey forever, so there's no doubt this acquisition will create value for us."

The theme was composed by Dolores Claman in 1968. CBC's licence to use the song expired at the end of the Stanley Cup final last week.

"I am very moved by how so many Canadians have taken the hockey theme to heart," Claman said in a release. "Throughout our negotiations, CTV displayed a tremendous amount of respect for my family and the song."

Earlier Monday, CBC had announced it asked Toronto sports lawyer Gord Kirke to mediate negotiations between the public broadcaster and Copyright Music and Visuals, the company that controls the song's rights.

CTV said it made an agreement in principle Friday with Copyright Music and Visuals after CBC announced a $100,000 contest to find a new theme song.

The contest announcement followed months of negotiations that failed to result in a new licensing agreement between CBC and the agent.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
1968 is when it was introduced and it is essential to hockey in Canada as much as Oh Canada IMHO.
X2!! Well said. It's our unofficial second 'national anthom'. Representitives of the composer were basically asking for about the same price, which for a taxpayer funded, multi-billion dollar corporation is chump change. Don Cherry probably pulls in as much cash PER 'Coach's Corner', as the composer does in a year. Woopee. Friggin' TO idiots.

Well done to CTV and therefore TSN to snapping up the iconic tune. Sports were probably the only thing that CBC ever turned a bit of a profit on, and now they are running it into the ground, and losing their contracts (CFL, Olympics, most of the NHL, etc). Oh well, what did PROFIT have to do with anything anyway? Idiots!

Tree
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM

She wants 2.5 - 3 million for the music. I'd sooner see just as many or more games on CBC regardless of what song they play. If they fork out that kind of money the hit will be the amount of games televised. X2 Smokey, give Stompin Tom a call, it gets the fans more wound up anyway.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
She wants 2.5 - 3 million for the music. I'd sooner see just as many or more games on CBC regardless of what song they play. If they fork out that kind of money the hit will be the amount of games televised. X2 Smokey, give Stompin Tom a call, it gets the fans more wound up anyway.
100,000 welcomes to you too, Moosemad, but where did you get the $2.5-3M figure from? BTW, Stompin' Tom is a stinkin' drunk dirtbag and has been for years. He can take 'The Good 'Ol Hockey Game', and stuff it. Guys a jerk and an embarassment to Maritimers everywhere.

Tree
Old 06-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Not to mention the cost for Toms song would be huge, and as someone who had the misfortune of workn with Tom I concur with Trees sentiments the guy was a total jerk, rude and condescending. I wouldnt tune in until after the period has started if HNIC used that as a theme. The composer was willing to stay with CBC at the same rate CBC said no, tough luck CBC once more couldnt make the right decision if it bit them. Can you say Dave Hodge, Curling, Cuthbert, Maclean etc....
Old 06-09-2008, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeGuy View Post
100,000 welcomes to you too, Moosemad, but where did you get the $2.5-3M figure from? BTW, Stompin' Tom is a stinkin' drunk dirtbag and has been for years. He can take 'The Good 'Ol Hockey Game', and stuff it. Guys a jerk and an embarassment to Maritimers everywhere.

Tree
My father in law helped out on tour with him a few years ago. Tom would sit up all night smokin cigs and drinkin, he would force at least one person to sit up and keep him company and the whole time he was an ignorant rude assh&&%
Old 06-09-2008, 08:01 PM

Quote:

Tree
The 2.5 - 3 million was announced today on 770 AM, also a pretty good discussion on it. And I would say Tom has been just as much of a Canadian tradition as the Hockey Night in Canada theme has been all these years. I for one am a proud maritimer and love his music. I love the theme song too but all I'm saying is for the amount of money the old bag wants, we could have more hockey on the tube. And what does BTW stand for?
Old 06-09-2008, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moosemad View Post
The 2.5 - 3 million was announced today on 770 AM, also a pretty good discussion on it. And I would say Tom has been just as much of a Canadian tradition as the Hockey Night in Canada theme has been all these years. I for one am a proud maritimer and love his music. I love the theme song too but all I'm saying is for the amount of money the old bag wants, we could have more hockey on the tube. And what does BTW stand for?
You an Antigonisher? BTW means, 'By The Way'.

I too am a proud Maritimer. The sleezy piece of walking sh*t that is Stompin' Tom Connors is an absolute embarassment to all of us who call that region of the world 'home'. I can't believe his liver hasn't given out yet.

Either way, moot point, as CTV was more than happy to pony up the cash. Hopefully for once, the CBC feels at least a taste of the same humiliation that any Canadian with the IQ level somewhere between that of a brick and a log, feels every time we have the misfortune of actually watching the garbage they air in the name of all that is Canadian culture.

Tree
Old 06-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBear416 View Post
X2.....it's tradition..

*did I spell that right?*
Old 06-10-2008, 07:48 AM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
The sleezy piece of walking sh*t that is Stompin' Tom Connors is an absolute embarassment to all of us who call that region of the world 'home'. I can't believe his liver hasn't given out yet.
Well, that explains a lot. He is 2nd cousins to my ex-wife. Must be genetic.

Good for TSN for picking up the song. The games are televised for us to watch. If CBC looks more to their profit margins than to what keeps us watching, they won't be around much longer. They are running a business. Sure they need to make money, but they need customers to make that money. Crappy service=no customers=no money=no business.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:15 AM

[QUOTE=BUD;156279]CBC needs to replace the play by play anouncer with PETER MARR

X2 good call BUD
Old 06-10-2008, 08:25 AM
Banned

Default CBC who?

In all honesty, it's not the end of the world to lose the song, but, having said that it always brings back some pretty good memories of watching hockey back when I was a kid. Especially when we were at my Grandma's. We'd play flipper hockey with my uncles old game until we heard that theme song and then we'd go watch hockey night in Canada.

For the small beans she was asking for it was an easy decision for anyone with any business sense to keep it. Now how much do you think they'll spend trying to replace it, and I guarantee they will not find anything close. Just another reason why we should defund the CBC. Take away the billions of dollars we give to these morons and they would soon disintegrate into the dust. And I for one would be dancing on their grave. (and I hate dancing)

And if Stompin Tom is as big of a jerk as you guys say he is, he sure as hell does not deserve a place in Canadian traditions.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:44 AM

Quote:
You an Antigonisher? BTW means, 'By The Way'.

I too am a proud Maritimer. The sleezy piece of walking sh*t that is Stompin' Tom Connors is an absolute embarassment to all of us who call that region of the world 'home'. I can't believe his liver hasn't given out yet.

Either way, moot point, as CTV was more than happy to pony up the cash. Hopefully for once, the CBC feels at least a taste of the same humiliation that any Canadian with the IQ level somewhere between that of a brick and a log, feels every time we have the misfortune of actually watching the garbage they air in the name of all that is Canadian culture.

Tree

Awesome post Tree...I couldn't agree more....

BH

Old 06-10-2008, 08:50 AM

hey guys please remember this is the cbc we're talking about; you know, our stellar national network who brings us fine programming like divinchi"s wind down the crack of my ***** on the road to avonlee. how can they not screw up the only broadcast that most of us even remotely care about?
i can see it now...... divinchi's evening of ice hockey in canada... theme music by the bare naked ladies, with lots of glib lyrics and doo-bee doo-wahs...
yippieee....
Old 06-10-2008, 01:04 PM

Hey Moosemad, the figure of $2.5-3 million was to purchase the rights to the tune OUTRIGHT. That was not an annual charge at all. CTV (TSN RDS) now has full ownership of it and as such can do what they please. I saw a couple of their executives interviewed today and they could barely contain their glee!

On a more serious note, it really frosts my azz how a publiclly funded broadcaster can simultainously mismanage and show utter disdain toward the only element of their programming that actually generates a profit! They've lost the Olympics and the CFL. Had a few remaing curling rights left any never aired them, and now they are doing their best to get rid of HNIC. Watch for Ron and Don to abandon ship here soon too. They did some moonlighting for ESPN during the finals, and you don't think CTV would love to scoop them up too? One condition...........no talking about the stinkin' make beleafs!

Tree
Old 06-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
Sure they need to make money, but they need customers to make that money. Crappy service=no customers=no money=no business.
Well, I've not heard ONE person say they are going to refuse to watch HNC because they don't have the theme song anymore. If that's the case it's a good business decision. You can't slag the CBC for not running like a business, then slag them because they cut the cost of some ditty that you say is a "national treasure and tradition". It's not. It's background music. Life in Canada will be exactly the same if they make up some other song.
Old 06-10-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

Oko.. Good point.
But how come it was a good decsion by a non government corp to buy it????

Jamie
Old 06-10-2008, 10:25 PM

Default Hnic

I don't think the CTV stations will gain viewers by having that tune/ CBC will not loose any viewers.
CTV did /will get alot of publicity from this though
Old 06-11-2008, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPBuzz View Post
I don't think the CTV stations will gain viewers by having that tune/ CBC will not loose any viewers.
CTV did /will get alot of publicity from this though
You kind of contradicted yourself there.
Publicity = Viewers = $$$$$$$

BH

Old 06-11-2008, 12:41 PM

[QUOTE=TreeGuy;156823]Hey Moosemad, the figure of $2.5-3 million was to purchase the rights to the tune OUTRIGHT. That was not an annual charge at all. CTV (TSN RDS) now has full ownership of it and as such can do what they please. I saw a couple of their executives interviewed today and they could barely contain their glee!

Sorry Tree, didn't know we were only talking about pay per use. BTW, not from Antigonish, must be thinking of someone else.