Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-12-2018, 11:59 AM

Default Preferences for a 1 man ice hut?

Just wondering what everyone uses for a 1 man hardwater hut, pros cons etc. Thanks in advance 🍻
Old 11-12-2018, 12:07 PM

If you want to hole hop you can't beat a 1 man flip.

If you just want to sit somewhere comfortably and only move once in a while I would use a 3 man size popup.
Old 11-12-2018, 12:14 PM

Which model preferences? I'm all about the run and gun technique 50+ holes a day 🤘
PB Rocky White 5.3lbs
PB Lake Trout 17lbs(need to step my game up)
Old 11-12-2018, 12:36 PM

I have the HT one man ice hut , sets up in 15 seconds and you can get them on sale time to time at cabelas for 150$
Old 11-12-2018, 12:38 PM

Ht quick hut is the actual name 199$ at fishin hole

Even has a built in chair
Old 11-12-2018, 01:19 PM

I have and love my clam Kenai , very easy to use , load in back of truck etc , and lots of room behind for storage
Old 11-12-2018, 05:04 PM

I have a Frabill one man flip up sled type with a fixed seat, I'm 5'10 and my head hits the roof so I can't sit up straight in it, Other than that it is OK, room for some gear and a heater
Old 11-12-2018, 05:14 PM

I have a cool set up with my Eskimo Evo 1it. I installed runners and a hitch. I tow it behind my truck out on the lake. Run and gun to different spots without having to unhook, Sets up and tears down in a nice quick minute or two. Couple quick holes popped with the IonX, flasher down the hole and I’m in business. I like the xtra room it has, comfy seat and lots of good windows etc. I can be fishing before my buddy gets his tent unpacked and spread out. Works good this way behind the sled or quad too. Many good brands like Otter or Clam too, I like the relative convenience and benefits of this Eskimo Evo as a hybrid between flip/sled and hub tent styles. You get the added room of a Hub tent without being as difficult to set up especially in wind and the convenience of a strong plastic tub sled for some storage, portability and built in comfy seat etc. Easy and compact to store in offseason. Works for me, good luck with your search, many good styles depending what you want out of them
Old 11-12-2018, 06:09 PM

I have tried the 1 man flip style units from Frabill (Recon and Commando Max), Eskimo (Wide 1 Inferno) and Clam (Kenai). All have there benefits and flaws. The Eskimo unit was my fav.

I have sold all of them and converted to the aforementioned HT Quick Hut unit (mine is the Polar Fire Edition) and I'll never look back.

Literally seconds to set up, easy to heat, built in seat means no extra gear to lug, hole hopping is a breeze (mine has a backpack bag it collapses into) and folds down to nothing in the bed of the truck. What more could a guy want?

Cheers,

Scott.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweb View Post
Ht quick hut is the actual name 199$ at fishin hole

Even has a built in chair
Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 11-12-2018, 09:21 PM

I am surprised so many guys like those quick huts. Tried using them a couple times and never liked them, hard landing a big trout in one of them let alone a big pike etc. Seat was uncomfortable and would also blow over/away in the wind. You also still need a sled to carry it and other gear.

I used a frabill recon 1 man flip and liked it much better. Eskimo Wide 1 Inferno is the model I always wanted, only downside I could see with it is the weight, 62 lbs is heavy enough and once you throw an auger, tackle etc in not going to want to pull it around too far.
Old 11-12-2018, 09:59 PM

Default 1 man tents

If your style is the run & gun technique, you can't beat the HT style tents. Lightweight, ready to use in under 30 seconds, pretty warm, even without a heater.

I found 2 of these style tents last year on Kijiji for $80 each. I kept one for myself & sold the other in under 2 hours on AO Buy & Sell for $100.

Ice Fishing Tent,b.jpg
Old 11-13-2018, 02:14 AM

i have a frabill recon, if you're on the larger side, these flip overs are going to be really tight. Set up is instant, easy to haul around, bench seat is a bit hard on the back although a stadium seat or a cheap boat seat will be big improvement. can be stored in a car/truck or pulled with snowmobile!
Old 11-13-2018, 10:02 AM

Thanks for the info! Gonna give the HT a try! 🍻
PB Rocky White 5.3lbs
PB Lake Trout 17lbs(need to step my game up)
Old 11-13-2018, 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 57charlie View Post
If your style is the run & gun technique, you can't beat the HT style tents. Lightweight, ready to use in under 30 seconds, pretty warm, even without a heater.

I found 2 of these style tents last year on Kijiji for $80 each. I kept one for myself & sold the other in under 2 hours on AO Buy & Sell for $100.

Attachment 150496
the fastest set up and best to move around fast from spot to spot,
Old 11-13-2018, 05:45 PM

Thumbs up Ice fishing

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavYak View Post
If you want to hole hop you can't beat a 1 man flip.

If you just want to sit somewhere comfortably and only move once in a while I would use a 3 man size popup.
We use both that you mentioned and that is the way to go.
Old 11-13-2018, 11:04 PM

I bought a one man camo deer blind that is black on the inside. Quick pop up with attached chair and good frame. I used it for hunting and ice fishing. And for lightweight move around trips I sewed up some some heavy black plastic to make a big bag. I sit on a 5 gallon pail and put the bag on. The bag is big enough that it is quite comfy. It can get warm if the sun is out. I tie a short cord to the bag and to myself because a wind can take the bag away pretty easy if it gets in the bag. The bag fits in the pail along with my fishing gear and lunch. I would just carry the pail and an ice chisel or auger. I'd leave room in the pail for a fish or two too.

The neatest one man tent ... there used to be an old guy that fished at Pigeon lake that when he walked around it looked like he had bat wings on his back. Made from lightweight black fabric and one inch square wooden lathes. He'd sit on a pail and cloak his bat wings around himself. Looked like a 6 foot tepee when the wings were extended around him. He'd just stand up close his wings and walk to the next hole.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 11-15-2018, 12:24 PM

I love using HT folding ice tent

I have a heater that works well

-30 is no problem

easy to walk in to some lakes or move around

light to pull with auger + tents

once I hook up big fish I get out and fight

has a built in chair

very easy to set up and take down

even bagged fish can ride in folded up tent

been using this type of tent for over 20 years

fun fun fun

2 Old Guys

David
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 005_zpsqqsaauta.jpg (54.1 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg ice fishing 3.jpg (42.0 KB, 60 views)
File Type: jpg ice fishing 2.jpg (52.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg #32.5Pike WRmar1 1985.jpg (40.9 KB, 58 views)
Old 11-15-2018, 09:19 PM

I have a clam twin hub 2 and I love it. It’s light and a perfect size for one guy. Only con is that it’s not very resilient to mid to strong wind.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4N6av6bO_Fk

Check it out
Old 11-17-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by owlhoot View Post
I have a Frabill one man flip up sled type with a fixed seat, I'm 5'10 and my head hits the roof so I can't sit up straight in it, Other than that it is OK, room for some gear and a heater
I also have the Frabill Recon 1 man flip. I used it for two years with my head touching the roof (also 5’10”). Just two weeks ago I took the fixed seat out and mounted the seat to the smallest Plano sportsman trunk. It dropped the seat height about 4” and now it feels way bigger! I can’t believe I didn’t do it sooner.