Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 08-19-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

Default Another great Frank Leffingwell shoot in Lethbridge

And once again, nice to see familiar faces go home with some cash, tchardy, duceman and Devin (sorry If I spelled your name wrong guy with a kilt .) Great shooting guys.

Mark your calendar, next year's shoot is scheduled for August 18th, 2018. The organizers would like to see more shooters.
Old 08-19-2017, 09:41 PM

Good show fellas!

Maybe I'll try to make it down next year.

Those three boys know how to shoot for sure!

"Shuuuuuuussssshhhhh.

You can't post stuff like that, too many heads will explode."
Hillbillyreefer
Old 08-21-2017, 08:58 AM

the shoot was fantastic as always, run like a swiss watch.

i didn't do as well as i should have, but still had a blast.

my youngest son shot his first match ever, and did really well, finishing 7th with 11 shooters in the class. i had a good run in hunter, and missed out on the trophy by 3 pts, finishing second.
in modified he done very well,( my sako duce makes most people look like a rock star; even me sometimes) he finished 4th, losing out on a payday by an 'x', in a three way tie for third with gitrdun and another fellow. gitrdun was awarded second via his 200yd target edging out the other fellow. not sure why, but i had a rough go in modified, had a sighter go into a score target in the black rings i didn't see and took a 5 pt penalty, finishing second last, 20 pts behind the winner, tchardy, congrats on some great shooting guys.

open class was tough sledding this year, as always. mr. dave fisher was on his game with a well tuned gun and superior wind reading skills showing themselves. he dropped one point over 3 distances, and i missed some wind switches and finished 4th, one point out of a payday, dropping 4 pts. gitrdun was right behind me dropping only 6 pts.

out of 37 guns entered, only 5 of us shot all 3 classes, so to make myself feel better i added the aggregate scores, which look like this.

duceman - 405 -4x
kirk cameron - 401 -1x
gitrdun - 395 - 4x
243dude (my son) 394- 1x
devon veysey - 384 - 2x

one of the best parts of the shoot for me was watching a 13yr old girl shoot in hunter class on the bench next to me. she has been shooting in the lethbridge fish and game league shoot this summer and taking it very seriously. she won the youth class in the league this year, and came third in this shoot against a couple seasoned young shooters, (not good getting beat by these youngsters).
for winning league, i donated a rest, set of bags and stool by teamjw to get her going. she also has two sisters and a younger brother showing interest in the sport and it is great to see youth in the sport and doing well.

for those of you who lurk and read these posts on competition shooting, i urge you come out and give it a try. in the end you really only compete with yourself, and if you want to learn 'what it takes to be a better bolt gun shooter' or whether you should 'grip your gun while shooting off a rest', what better way to learn than hanging around 20 or 30 like minded people that are more than willing give you real world tips and show you some techniques that can actually be seen on target?

forgot to mention the sponsored lunch was awesome again, roast beef on a bun.

next stop ponoka rifle rodeo, 50th anniverary this year, and gonna be a great time with lots of shooting, prizes and campfire socializing, hope to see some familiar faces there.

1. People who list their arguments in bullets points or numerical order generally come off as condescending pecker heads.

2. #1 is true.
Old 08-21-2017, 06:53 PM

This was a great shoot that was very well organized. There is absolutely no reason that anyone with a hunting rifle with a 6x scope can't run there.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:10 PM

Glad you had fun. You have not had to shoot in good ole southern Alberta wind yet.
Old 08-22-2017, 05:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Glad you had fun. You have not had to shoot in good ole southern Alberta wind yet.
I shoot in stupid winds very much at my home range. Here I can read the wind and call it pretty well the same as 100, 200, 300 and beyond on the flat prairies. However at the Lethbridge range even with a mild wind, there are wicked variations due to the burms constructed. A wind is not much the same at various ranges all the way out to 300 as we witnessed last weekend. It's a bit challenging, but it makes it fun and really tasks one's call as to hold over. Here, you're judging on wind flags if there are any, vegetation and of course mirage. Add these 3 variables and take your best shot. If anyone could do it, they're be a lot more shooters.

Last edited by gitrdun; 08-22-2017 at 05:39 PM.