Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-28-2013, 01:29 PM

Default Tree help please

We were having a discussion a few weeks ago about apple trees, at the time I was concerned about my Fall Red apple tree. Well as I stated before, the first year it grew about 1doz, second year about 1doz,and this year there's not even a blossom on it, what should I do,dig it up and plant a new tree? Thank you
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-28-2013, 02:24 PM

http://extension.psu.edu/plants/tree...uit-on-my-tree

See this info from Penn state. Hope it helps.
Old 05-28-2013, 03:56 PM

only one of my trees is in full bloom,just a few days ago. it is in the warmest area of my yard. another tree is just starting to show signs of blossom and another yet has no sign of blossom at all. don't give up hope yet.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:45 PM

My dads apple and plum tree did this a year or so ago too. He was all ready to chop and re do. We talked him into waiting. Just a slow start that year. Maybe wait as mentioned.
Old 05-28-2013, 05:07 PM

i was always told that fruit trees go in cycles of alot of fruit then to none a few years later, you may be on the down year for your tree.
Old 05-28-2013, 11:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish along View Post
We were having a discussion a few weeks ago about apple trees, at the time I was concerned about my Fall Red apple tree. Well as I stated before, the first year it grew about 1doz, second year about 1doz,and this year there's not even a blossom on it, what should I do,dig it up and plant a new tree? Thank you
Cripes man, this is Alberta, NOT interior BC or California!

You either need to SIGNIFICANTLY lower your expectations and increase your patience or stop playing the orchard game altogether.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:28 AM

Our apple is on one year off the next.....this is the off year and I only saw 2 blossoms.....next year there will be so many apples the branches touch the ground.

LC
Old 05-29-2013, 10:08 AM

Default Apple tree

We've been on our acerage for 8 years and the apple tree his produced 100's of apples every year. Maybe we're just lucky. Lots if bees from the hives down the road might be making a difference? We are in southern Alberta between lethbridge and Med hat

Last edited by krthegunslinger; 05-29-2013 at 10:09 AM. Reason: Added text
Old 05-29-2013, 10:41 AM

Funny thing about it ,is that I have another tree right beside it and it has thousands of blossoms,oh well I'll have to wait and see I guess,thanks for all your help guys.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 05-29-2013, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Our apple is on one year off the next.....this is the off year and I only saw 2 blossoms.....next year there will be so many apples the branches touch the ground.

LC
I was lucky I guess with my first tree a ( collett) it was a great producer from the get go.But the fall red seems like it Mabey sterile or something,thanks for your 2 cents...Dave
Old 05-29-2013, 12:00 PM

Location: Just this side of no-where on the edge of common sense

Different varieties of apple trees produce at different rates. Some varieties are a cyclic type that produce one or two years then rest a year.

Trees that produce really heavy crops one year then rest the next year need to be fruit thinned during their heavy year. Example: In any given cluster of apples there might be 4 or 5 small apples starting. Thin this cluster down to 2 or 3 apples. This will improve the size and quality of the remaining apples AND even out the trees apple production from year to year.

You also need to examine your tree for signs of disease, winter damage or animal damage. If the tips of a lot of the branches are either dead in place (winter damage) or missing (animal damage) your tree will not be able to produce much fruit.

Also a properly pruned tree is more productive because it will cause the tree to put growth and production into good large branches instead of continually attempting to grow new branches.
Regards,
Dave