Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2022, 11:46 AM

Default Snowbirds/Expats, where do you go and why?

My wife and I have really been throwing the idea around of simplifying, downsizing and doing the snowbird thing in a few short years. We're not interested in the US or Mexico, or doing the resort/RV park thing. We'd likely look at getting away from 3-5 months of the year.

We've traveled a bit in SE Asia, Latin America, western Europe and Australia but never for more than a month due to work/life/etc. No issues with different languages/cultures/food, and don't need all of the North American creature comforts while we're gone.

We'll hopefully be visiting some of the countries below for a few weeks prior to becoming snowbirds, but would like some input from others that have spent an extended length of time out of country.

Panama, Nicaragua, Costa Rica and maybe Belize.

Argentina, Chile, Ecuador and maybe Columbia.

Portugal & Spain.

Thailand, Vietnam, Malaysia.

Where do you snowbirds/expats go for extended periods, and why?
Old 12-29-2022, 01:29 PM

I would go to Alberta, great province, nice mountains and cool summers.
Old 12-29-2022, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
I've been a snowbird for about 28 years in Alberta and 25 in Northern BC before that, lol.

It's pretty tough to beat a prairie summer/fall, but I'm looking to get out of Dodge for the winter. From what I've seen in my travels so far, the world is a pretty big place outside of our provincial borders and gives a person a much different perspective. Did I mention that I'm getting sick of cold winters, ?
Old 12-29-2022, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HVA7mm View Post
I've been a snowbird for about 28 years in Alberta and 25 in Northern BC before that, lol.

It's pretty tough to beat a prairie summer/fall, but I'm looking to get out of Dodge for the winter. From what I've seen in my travels so far, the world is a pretty big place outside of our provincial borders and gives a person a much different perspective.
Friends of ours just bought 1 way tickets to Portugal. They are each taking a backpack and only the necessities. They have an Abnb booked in Lisbon for the first 3 days. They plan to rent a car and travel to the north of Portugal then down and across to Morocco then back to Portugal and on to Spain. They'll book Abnb as they see fit. Plan to be their until the end of April then return form where ever they are at the end of APril.

BW
Old 12-29-2022, 02:14 PM

Central Costa Rica is a very cool place I could spend a few Winters there

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2022, 04:52 PM

There have been some changes in laws in Indonesia and Malaysia recently (i mean couple of years). Lots of expats living in Bali, for example, looking for a new place in light of recent changes...
A few places in Latin America that used to be a destination of choice for snowbirds became a little ... unresty...

If it was me I'd look at Thailand, Vietnam, or Panama... Just my subjective opinion...
Old 12-29-2022, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak77 View Post
There have been some changes in laws in Indonesia and Malaysia recently (i mean couple of years). Lots of expats living in Bali, for example, looking for a new place in light of recent changes...
A few places in Latin America that used to be a destination of choice for snowbirds became a little ... unresty...

If it was me I'd look at Thailand, Vietnam, or Panama... Just my subjective opinion...
I've been to Thailand a couple of times, Hong Kong and Singapore, but not Vietnam. I've also been to Costa Rica but not Panama. Some of these trips were two decades ago, but I enjoyed them none the less.

I have some family that's been in Latin America for 20+ years. The cousin in Costa Rica says it's the place to be, but so does my cousin in Medellin, lol. I have some friends heading to Panama in February for a month or so to take a gander, and will likely be checking things out in Nicaragua as well. I'll get a report when they return.

I've been to southern Spain in September but not in the winter/early spring months. Would like to check it out in Jan-April as well as Portugal.
Old 12-29-2022, 08:38 PM

We usually winter in the Philippines. Due to covid and the wifes medical issues we haven't been for the past 3 winters but will be going again in 23. Pretty much everyone speaks english and the cost of living is very affordable. Prices of accomodations can vary quite a bit depending on where you want to be. We go right after hunting season (first week of Dec.) and return the end of March. The exchange right now is 41 Philippine pesos to the Canadian dollar which is as high as it's been in the past 10 years. Great people, awesome street food, and coming from the market with 3 bags of fresh groceries and fruit for the cost of a couple of expresso's at Starbucks.
Old 12-29-2022, 09:46 PM

Living Abroad in Bangkok, Thailand [What It's REALLY Like] – YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmGP1_Vn3cc

Top 10 Travel Destinations for 2023 – YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSEjkUK7WEU

8 Reasons Why Americans LEAVE Costa Rica [Why I Left] – YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbGMngGx2xk
Old 12-30-2022, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quest206 View Post
We usually winter in the Philippines. Due to covid and the wifes medical issues we haven't been for the past 3 winters but will be going again in 23. Pretty much everyone speaks english and the cost of living is very affordable. Prices of accomodations can vary quite a bit depending on where you want to be. We go right after hunting season (first week of Dec.) and return the end of March. The exchange right now is 41 Philippine pesos to the Canadian dollar which is as high as it's been in the past 10 years. Great people, awesome street food, and coming from the market with 3 bags of fresh groceries and fruit for the cost of a couple of expresso's at Starbucks.
What part of the Philippines do you usually go to. My friends took their kids to Palawan a few years back for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it.

Some filipino co-workers say Palawan some say Boracay, but there are so many islands to choose from (except maybe Mindanao).
Old 12-30-2022, 12:33 PM

Cuenca, Ecuador is where I would love to spend a few months at. We were there a few years ago, the temp is a constant 19-24 degrees, elevation is about 8000 feet, everything is very lush as it rains a bit every day. Great food and history. Very reasonable to live there as well. Quite a few Canadian and US expats live there .
Dr. Google is your friend.
Mike
Old 12-30-2022, 01:33 PM

Lived in Phillipines for 2 years, 7000 islands with white sand and sea shells. Visited many other countries, made big circle and came back to Alberta, Best place ever.
Old 12-31-2022, 12:26 PM

Since 2011, I have been a dual resident, Canada/Colombia. I spend 6 months of the year there and I’ve never been kidnapped, extorted, arrested, assaulted; in fact, I find daily life there to be very similar to in Canada. Tourism in Colombia has increased something like 4000% since the first time I was sent there to work.

I love South and Central America for a variety of reason, including, I am fluent in Spanish so there is no language barrier. As well as the food, culture, mostly friendly people, beaches, mountains, the beautiful women, and the fishing. The advantage of Colombia over Panama or Costa Rica is that in those countries the currency is the US dollar which has been for at least a decade much stronger than the CDN dollar.

I’ve never been to anywhere in Asia and don’t enjoy long flights. Colombia is 5hr from Pearson Airport and also easy to get to via the USA, from Edmonton or Calgary.

If anybody is interested in fishing the Pacific side of Colombia this year please PM me. I will fill you in on all the necessary details. I’m not affiliated in any way with this, just looking to split the cost of the boat 50/50. I’ve been various times, it’s truly an incredible fishery and trip of a lifetime. Also cheaper than Panama.
Old 01-01-2023, 12:20 PM

Need to be very careful in most 3rd world countries. You do not have the RCMP protecting you. A Gringo is a walking ATM bank machine to most of the locals. Some countries they just remove your head then chip out the gold from your teeth later.
Old 01-01-2023, 03:35 PM

Been thinking about retiring to the Phillipines in 3 years or so. Wife is from there. Low cost of living and most people speak English. Many really beautiful areas and it’s never cold.
Old 01-01-2023, 04:01 PM

If you value your personal safety you NEED to take precautions no matter where you are; but, there is simply no justification to avoid leaving Canada out of fear of what likely won’t ever happen. Canadians abroad that are not involved in other criminal or risqué activities simply are not a target for violent or property crimes to any extent or frequency in any of these places, and there are thousands of Canadians and Americans happily living there safely as I type this.

In my opinion, vacationing, retiring or snowbirding overseas is not for everyone. If you are scared to leave the false sense of security we have here in Canada then by all means unpack your bags and don’t go. But, if you can make it work for you and your family, there is a world of affordable conveniences and luxuries out there that simply does not exist in Canada. Among them are instant, immediate access to high quality health and dental care; healthy foods and climate, favorable taxation, exchange rates and friendly attitudes towards foreigners, and as mentioned in the original post, the personal satisfaction of simplifying and streamlining one’s lifestyle.
Old 01-01-2023, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Need to be very careful in most 3rd world countries. You do not have the RCMP protecting you. A Gringo is a walking ATM bank machine to most of the locals. Some countries they just remove your head then chip out the gold from your teeth later.
Ha ha ha, considering that you say that you've traveled all over the place and lived in the Philippines for a couple of years, I'm guessing that it was in jest. Either that or you have no teeth left, lol.

In my travels I found that a "Gringo" is more of a retirement plan than an ATM. Treat them well and they'll come back and bring others with them. Pretty sound business plan. That is unless you're doing the hookers & drugs type of travelling, in that case you usually get what you deserve.
Old 01-01-2023, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Well said. I've been to Peru, Chile, Bolivia, the DRC, Russia, Kazakhstan, the UK, Sweden, Germany, Spain, China, Japan. Korea, Mongolia, Cuba, California and always glad to get back home in good old AB, even in the dead of winter.
Old 01-02-2023, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Ha ha ha, considering that you say that you've traveled all over the place and lived in the Philippines for a couple of years, I'm guessing that it was in jest. Either that or you have no teeth left, lol.

In my travels I found that a "Gringo" is more of a retirement plan than an ATM. Treat them well and they'll come back and bring others with them. Pretty sound business plan. That is unless you're doing the hookers & drugs type of travelling, in that case you usually get what you deserve.
This is the golden rule, not the University of Google.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Well said. I've been to Peru, Chile, Bolivia, the DRC, Russia, Kazakhstan, the UK, Sweden, Germany, Spain, China, Japan. Korea, Mongolia, Cuba, California and always glad to get back home in good old AB, even in the dead of winter.

Hey I'm not dumping on Alberta at all. Yes it's great to come home, blah blah blah, but even good ol' Berta isn't what she used to be, especially in or near the cities. I'd love to be in rural Alberta or BC with less of a rat race, but my work will be keeping me in the city for now. When I finish working, I'll be heading out of the city.

For me, the biggest drawback is the winter climate, I'm pretty much done. I've barely skied in 25 years as it's crazy expensive to travel to good skiing (Edmonton doesn't have the best skiing), I haven't snowmobiled in over 20 years (the last two sleds I had averaged about 150km/year and it's always been a crazy expensive hobby) and I don't like ice fishing. We love being outside, just not in the winter.

For those singing the praises of Alberta I get it, but that's not why I started this thread. Feel free to start a "Why I'll never venture outside of Alberta's borders because it's the best" thread.

Anyway I do appreciate the input from others that choose to (or plan to) live abroad in the winter. It's interesting to hear both the pros and cons of what keeps them escaping winter. I know that I could go to Google or YouTube, but I'm interested in hearing things from a Canadian perspective, as well as from a group that has similar interests, which is why I posted the question on this forum.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:27 AM

If you remember couple years back mining executives from Canada were captured in Phillipines. When Canada did not pay the ransom their heads were cut off and not just for their gold teeth.
A snowbird sitting in snow in Canada much safer than one laying on a white sand beach.
Old 01-02-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:
If you remember couple years back mining executives from Canada were captured in Phillipines. When Canada did not pay the ransom their heads were cut off and not just for their gold teeth.
A snowbird sitting in snow in Canada much safer than one laying on a white sand beach.
So says you, the nearly one million snowbirds probably disagree. Please see the above post, I can even start the thread if you want.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:08 AM

Any particular reason you aren’t interested in Mexico? It’s a bit more expensive than some other options, but you have access to great medical and dental facilities as well as some of the more modern creature comforts that the third world doesn’t have. Friends of ours live in Bucerias and love it so much they got dual citizenship which allows them to own their property outright.

The thing I’ve always liked about Mexico is that it’s easy to get back to Canada in a hurry if you need to.
Old 01-02-2023, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikevv View Post
Cuenca, Ecuador is where I would love to spend a few months at. We were there a few years ago, the temp is a constant 19-24 degrees, elevation is about 8000 feet, everything is very lush as it rains a bit every day. Great food and history. Very reasonable to live there as well. Quite a few Canadian and US expats live there .
Dr. Google is your friend.
Mike
17 years ago my sister retired in her 40's to Ecuador, an area close to Cuenca, Vilcabamba. They have a 4ish acre property on a river, home and guest house, and virtually every type of fruit known to man growing in their "yard". She drives a '79 Land Cruiser when she does drive, but mainly walks everywhere. A couple years ago she got into an argument with a horse and ended up in hospital. A few nights hospitalization, chest tubes, CT scan, etc for a few hundred bucks. She was very happy with her care. Food, and alcohol are extremely cheap by Canadian standards, and easily available. Property is laughably cheap as well, they built their home (he's an architect) for less than the price of a motorhome here. Overall she's been very happy there, but is getting itchy feet again and in the process of moving again.

https://internationalliving.com/coun...bamba-ecuador/
Old 01-02-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Basically, you are implying that Quebec mirrors the entire of Canada.
Old 01-02-2023, 01:24 PM

We have lived in Mexico, Missouri, Manitoba, and back to AB (born and raised here). We have semi seriously looked at moving someplace with a decent climate. My wife grew up in Bolivia, and I've been there a number of times, but wouldn't retire there. We have looked at quite a few places, and top of the list for us if we did move would be Ecuador (Cuenca, Vilcabamba are the two areas that appeal, but there are other places at lower altitude I would check out as well).

It checks off all the boxes for us.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 01-02-2023, 01:47 PM

If it’s just for the winters Arizona seems as good as anywhere, my older relatives and their friends seems to like it. If I was retired today I would have a spot for my RV in Arizona and a shop and cement pad for my RV in Alberta during the rest of the year. Wouldn’t even need the RV in Arizona just rent a trailer or Condo for the winter. Heck go somewhere new every winter until you find what you like.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:13 PM

Ecuador mentioned a lot here.

I have a good work friend that retired and moved to Ecuador, Manglaralto, near Montanita on the coast. He likes it and has been there about 10 years now. Climate is very good and is moderate. Cheap to live for sure.

It makes me think about this whole idea more seriously with Canada losing its way with taxes that get you nothing and inflation and debt. The idea of retiring abroad is getting more interesting to me. You only live once, so choosing to live out an entire life basically one place seems more and more bland.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:31 PM

Quote:
What part of the Philippines do you usually go to. My friends took their kids to Palawan a few years back for a couple of weeks and really enjoyed it.

Some filipino co-workers say Palawan some say Boracay, but there are so many islands to choose from (except maybe Mindanao).
Palawan is beautiful but touristy as is Boracay. Boracay is much more commercialized and more of a destination spot for tourists. Bohol is a nice quiet island that is kept clean with government work incentives and has some tourist spots worth checking out. (chocolate hills) The accomodations are cheaper in Bohol than Palawan or Boracay by a lot. There are some good places on Luzon for Canadian tourists. Baguio is great if you don't like too much heat. It's inland and the elevation is 1500 m above sea level so it is a cooler climate with a lot of fruit and produce grown there. Subic is a great place to meet other expats and it is easy for a foreigner to drive and navigate around the city. There are places in the Philippines that tourists should avoid as is the case when visiting any other country. You will get along better with the locals if they know you are Canadian rather than American (I wonder why). We have a business in Quezon city so that is our base when we arrive but always tavel outside of the city for our vacation time. Good people, great beaches, and excellent food. Enjoy where ever you go.
Old 01-02-2023, 02:55 PM

If your plan is to winter in a different place for awhile until you find something you like and want to make more permanent I would say spend one or two in Argentina. Patagonia offers a lot as well as a the cities and other states. It felt very safe when I was there. Top notch fishing from what I hear. Tons of land to explore and opposite of our season you will enjoy their summer months while there. Can’t go wrong.