Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 05-27-2013, 08:50 AM

Default Alternate plans during run-off

Just curious, with many rivers and streams in the province being blown-out from the run-off, what alternate fishing plans does everyone on the forum have when run-off blows out their favourite waters? Some may resort to stillwater, some may continue fishing the same water regardless, some may get the s**n rod out, and some may just stay at home. I personally will head to a nice lake(don't have a favourite one) until things clear up in the mountains and I can walk & wade a stream or hike in to an alipine lake. Favourite place to fly-fish until run-off clears up? Cheers
Old 05-27-2013, 09:25 AM

Favourite place to fly-fish until run-off clears up?

Still water in Alberta or B.C. or head south into Montana. Last thing we need is more mention of pin point water location.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:50 AM

Not asking people to mention secret spots, just trying to make conversation. I don't think mentioning a lake is a big deal, somewhere on the forum the cats already out of the bag on different water bodies
Old 05-27-2013, 10:27 AM

Most of the lakes that I enjoy fishing don't open until June or July, so I tend to go to some of the more common ones... Beaver Mines and Beauvais Lake in the SW, or Lower Kananaskis lake, or maybe Wedge or Bear Pond for Arctic Grayling.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 AM

lakes.

I personally boring, as i prefer to fish rivers. But Bullshead aint that bad. Its fun catching big rainbows
Old 05-27-2013, 11:02 AM

Bullshead, or Ironside both are trophy Trout lakes. Upper / Lower K. Its fun to hit some of the Pike lakes and hookup a few on the fly as well. When I get board and want to get my fix in I can always float PCR with the fly rod. 150 Walleye on the fly will cure that itch.
Old 05-28-2013, 09:49 PM

I like to hit up bullshead, spruce coulee, and michelle for some still water. Michelle is my fav cause you catch fish all day long out there. One after the other, after the other. Good practice and fun
Old 05-29-2013, 02:13 AM

I used to try my best to log 100 days of fishing a year and it was much easier when I was younger and wasn't married. Spring run-off in my favorite rivers and creeks forced me to travel a lot to make my 100 days. I would target beaver ponds and even little put & take lakes with the fly-rod. Right now I'm just getting back to big lakes and fishing from a boat. I primarily fish the Elk River in BC but the river usually doesn't clear up till mid-July.

This year I'm going to switch gears and go for Bass in BC, as I've had great luck on Lake Windermere and Tie Lake. It's not river fishing but sometimes you've got to scratch that itch.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:58 AM

Im going to windermere this weekend for a golf tourney but all I want to do is fly fish for bass. should i take my 8 or 6 wieght? never caught a bass before but really want to. Any tips and or suggestions for windermere this weekend would be great. Is it open?
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopperDropper69 View Post
Im going to windermere this weekend for a golf tourney but all I want to do is fly fish for bass. should i take my 8 or 6 wieght? never caught a bass before but really want to. Any tips and or suggestions for windermere this weekend would be great. Is it open?
take the 6 it should be more than capable of landing bass. Poppers
Old 06-19-2013, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhad View Post
take the 6 it should be more than capable of landing bass. Poppers
Aaaaight, this will give me a chance to try out the new sage one. Ive got some deer hair sliders that might work.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:57 PM

I've got a subalpine lake that I've been planning on hiking in to...I think this'll be about the time to do it. Hopefully it'll stop raining so darn much, sooner rather than later!

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 06-20-2013, 12:18 PM

I'm leaving the province next week until it clears up big sasc pike are on the agenda for the next month

"Theirs a fine Line between fishing and standing on the shore like a dummy" - steven
Old 06-24-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikecrazed View Post
I'm leaving the province next week until it clears up big sasc pike are on the agenda for the next month
x2, not many options left with all the road closures and blown out streams
Old 06-26-2013, 01:17 AM

I went up to Lac des Roches last wk on Hwy 24, it was still too early for the hatches. Got a nice 20 incher on the first day on a pheasant tail, that guy was full of big mayfly nymphs. After that, nothing was working well, lots of the miniature white midges coming off, the size 30 version, and a few size 16 chronomids.. Had one on a Dragonfly nymph on Thurs, about a 20-22", had a quick release on it, after the first jump & run. Top water was 60-70deg,but the bottom was still cold. Saw one decent mayfly hatch, maybe two dozen caddis in the week, 3 damsels and a couple of dragonflys. One guy from Sheridan had a sedge hatch happen over there on Thurs aft,said he had hits on Mikulak drys, other than that it was tough going over there also. Fish were still down deep and hadn't started cruising the shoals much yet.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I went up to Lac des Roches last wk on Hwy 24, it was still too early for the hatches. Got a nice 20 incher on the first day on a pheasant tail, that guy was full of big mayfly nymphs. After that, nothing was working well, lots of the miniature white midges coming off, the size 30 version, and a few size 16 chronomids.. Had one on a Dragonfly nymph on Thurs, about a 20-22", had a quick release on it, after the first jump & run. Top water was 60-70deg,but the bottom was still cold. Saw one decent mayfly hatch, maybe two dozen caddis in the week, 3 damsels and a couple of dragonflys. One guy from Sheridan had a sedge hatch happen over there on Thurs aft,said he had hits on Mikulak drys, other than that it was tough going over there also. Fish were still down deep and hadn't started cruising the shoals much yet.
Must have been nice, how was the weather? I stooped to an all-time low and went to Dewitt's pond by Airdrie after work yesterday, I need not say more.
Didn't realize how much I missed hitting the Bow after work and looking forward to the Sheep River on weekends before the floods happened.

On a lighter note, I was lucky enough to reserve a campsite at Beauvais Lake for the long weekend, I've never been. The weather is supposed to be beautiful, hopefully the Browns come out and play.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:08 PM

Hey all, how far north do you figure i'd need to get to get into some decent river/creek fishing this weekend? It's been a looooong week for all of us southerners.
Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kissarmygeneral View Post
Hey all, how far north do you figure i'd need to get to get into some decent river/creek fishing this weekend? It's been a looooong week for all of us southerners.
I'm on the same game plan. I plan to head up around Nordegg and check the rivers along the way until I see something remotely clear. It's good motivation to find some new favorite places! Someone suggested parts of the Ram might be ok?
Old 06-28-2013, 02:26 PM

Rivers are still fairly high and colored. check the river basins site. There is clearly something wrong with the ram river sensors/gauges. It's reading a little low.
http://www.environment.alberta.ca/apps/basins/
Old 06-29-2013, 11:11 PM

Just got back from a stream in the Ghost area. About 1-2 feet of visibility already but running pretty fast. Managed 10 cutties and 2 brookies. Largest was a 14inch cuttie

Fish are pretty hungry and slamming most things buggy like, including non-buggy indicators Almost everything is tight to banks which makes it pretty easy to fish actually.

If we don't get any more rain, I figure things will clean up in 2-3 weeks in the higher waters.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:02 AM

If anyone is interested in a west coast, mid July, 10 day trip...we have a thread in the fishing section...

Namely...

Plans were changed suddenly due in no small part to the flooding.

Now that most of central and southern Alberta is flooded out, with little chance of clearing up for the next 3-4 weeks, we are once again reaching out for any interested parties that would be interested in tagging along...and interested in getting some summer fishing in.

1-3 people, max...on top of the 2 that are committed.
Complete DIY west coast salmon and halibut adventure.
Cheap...approx $550 all in.
Dates somewhat flexible...looking for 10 days (incl wkends) in mid July.

If interested, send me a PM.