Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-01-2010, 02:37 PM

Default Ice hut recomendations

Since the weather is bad I decided to start looking for this years birthday present, an ice hut.

Size up to 4 people
Fit into a small car if possible
I only have a moderate budget
Old 09-01-2010, 02:51 PM

An ice cube? Really your only option in a car.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:10 PM

OK so I will be looking for if this goes on for sale.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...box.jsp.form23

I had used my hunting blind last year but for the most part too drafty. I want to make ice fishing more kid/wife friendly. Skunkboy will take the cold but none of the others.

For a compelling reason I could go bigger and always use the van and/trailer.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:21 PM

Wow so scary to see threads like these about ice fishing coming up already!

I have a small ice cube I bought from WSS on sale. Wasn't exactly a great deal but did save a few bucks. It is really quick and easy to set it up and when collapsed in its carry bag you could easily fit in in your car trunk sideways. Its not too heavy as well so you could definitely carry it on your back and walk out to the lake.
Old 09-01-2010, 03:22 PM

I would strongly recommend one of the big doublewide tents. I have the Clam Command Post and it's absolutely perfect for four people plus a heater and some gear. Any smaller than the 12' x 6' and you start getting a little too small for comfortable fishing IMO. Frabill makes the Headquarters, which is a little cheaper but doesn't hold a candle to the Clam as far as I'm concerned.

It's not exactly tiny, but it should fit in your car without too much trouble.

Since I picked it up, the wife loves coming out. Set up the table in there, get the stove going...FLAAAAAG!!!!
Old 09-01-2010, 03:47 PM

I like the clam, except the tie downs on it. Ice cubes are way nICEr in my opinion, especially the hooks that go inthe ice.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the input so far, and sorry for starting the thought so early I want to make an informed decision on this one. get recomendation , take the time to see them set-up if possible. I did not want to be rushed when the time came.

I like the comments on size all I knew is that I wanted bigger, the though of having a card table set up never occured to me. Oddly I can get a fair bit into my car. You should have seen the looks I got when the CO's asked me what kind of viehicle I use, the last time I was in a cypress hills elk tag briefing.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustynailz View Post
I would strongly recommend one of the big doublewide tents. I have the Clam Command Post and it's absolutely perfect for four people plus a heater and some gear. Any smaller than the 12' x 6' and you start getting a little too small for comfortable fishing IMO. Frabill makes the Headquarters, which is a little cheaper but doesn't hold a candle to the Clam as far as I'm concerned.

It's not exactly tiny, but it should fit in your car without too much trouble.

Since I picked it up, the wife loves coming out. Set up the table in there, get the stove going...FLAAAAAG!!!!

The Headquarters is a piece of garbage. Mine, and several others, went back to TFH this year. The gents at TFH were awesome about returning them The Command Post is on my wishlist for this year.

You'd need a ski box to carry it with a smaller car, though.

God promised men that good and obedient wives would be found in all corners of the world. Then he made the earth round . . . and laughed.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:32 PM

My nly input here is to make sure that whatever you buy is on sale, and not just cheap. I had the "pleasure of helping set up a cheap tent. Not fun, and the first gust of wind snapped a pole in half and the whole thing crashed. When I was done laghing at the guy inside that looked like he was shrinkwrapped, we fished out of the windows of the truck.
Which by the way is about as comfortable and budget friendly as it gets.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:04 PM

I have the Icecube 2 person. Love it. I hang my fish tv from one corner with bungie cords and just put my feet up, grab the munchies and watch the show. I also use the adjustable strap on the roof to hang my ice scoopers... and put extra rods up when not in use. Take something for flooring... as it open to snow. I use a nice thick throw rug for half the tent that the wife used to have in the laundry room. She never comes fishing.

One thing... maybe i am an idiot... but it always takes me forever to unfold it and then fold back it back at day's end. That drives me bonkers.
Old 09-01-2010, 04:09 PM

Well, someone already posted this thread so I may as well ask what I want to here. This year has been one of the worst years for work ever, and I am pretty low on cash. As long as I can remember I've wanted to get a gas powered auger and an ice hut. By any chance do any members have an old one of either or? I would be willing to pay, but I can't afford a ton of money...

Thanks