Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 06:12 PM

Default Weighing in - RV

Hi,

I'm starting to haul and tow a heavy RV rig. This has me concerned about my weight. I want to be sure I stay within the limits of the truck so a trip to the scales is a must.

How can a private person access commercial weigh scales? Do I need a permit or license to use them? Is there a cost?

I see a Static weigh scale listed on-line in Dewinton. This one is most convenient to me just not sure if I can use it.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:25 PM

Just stop by any scales and go in and talk to them. I'm sure they won't have any issue with letting you use them.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:27 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post
Just stop by any scales and go in and talk to them. I'm sure they won't have any issue with letting you use them.
lots of "self weighs" around now as well.....
Old 04-30-2014, 06:36 PM

Default Absolutely free and for public use.

The scales on the sides of the highway are free of charge and for public use. The manned Vehicle Inspection Stations are also free and for public use. The officers at the Vehicle Inspection Stations will be happy to weigh your vehicle and should provide you with printed axle weights if you ask for them ( was part for the job a few moons ago when I worked for that outfit ).

If the Vehicle Inspection Station lights are not flashing there might not be anyone around but there will be a digital display outside that shows the weight ( in kilograms ) that is on the scale deck. The digital display should be on at the static sites and again displays the weight that is on the scale deck in kilograms.

Feel free to use them any time. They are left accessible so they can be used at anytime by anyone that would like to weigh a vehicle.

Pm if you have any questions.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:11 PM

I have stopped in at the weigh scale near Sibbald flats when there was nobody around. The scale readout was working so I weighed each axle on the truck and travel trailer.