Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 AM

Default While the PC Party Lives High This Young Girl Has to Raise $210,000 for Her Surgery in Order to Carry On.

This upsets me.
http://m.edmontonsun.com/2014/04/27/...le-girls-agony
Old 04-29-2014, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganderblaster View Post
A sad but typical example of what happens when business degrees run healthcare. Ones and zeros, to hell with the people they represent. Take a good look all you anti-healthcare pc and wildrose types. This is the cost of balancing the budget while paying politically connected executives million dollar salaries.

Edit: its rather hypocritical that a wildrose mla who would privatize healthcare and ensure substandard treatment for all but the wealthy is jumping on the bandwagon. At least he's doing the right thing, even if it is just for votes.

I wish her a full and swift recovery.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 AM

So let me get this straight

11 year old honour student with a rare cyst in her brain- go away, you're not covered

45 year old Man who wants a sex change operation- come on in, we'll cover that.

Yup, I'd say the system is officially effed up.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:24 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeaspell View Post

11 year old honour student with a rare cyst in her brain- go away, you're not covered

Sick, isn't it???
Old 04-29-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
A sad but typical example of what happens when business degrees run healthcare. Ones and zeros, to hell with the people they represent. Take a good look all you anti-healthcare pc and wildrose types. This is the cost of balancing the budget while paying politically connected executives million dollar salaries.

Edit: its rather hypocritical that a wildrose mla who would privatize healthcare and ensure substandard treatment for all but the wealthy is jumping on the bandwagon. At least he's doing the right thing, even if it is just for votes.

I really hope this girl can get what she needs to cover all those expenses as well because this is astronomical, but I agree with you Blade in the matter of anti-healthcare folks, as disgusting as this is we would hear this every day, or it would end up being just white noise after a while, if we get full private healthcare one day.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 AM

Quote:

I fully support covering the costs for both of these scenarios.

There are plenty of other examples of procedures that should be covered... laser treatments to correct rosacea disfigurement, dental care for people who have medical conditions that destroy their teeth, skin removal surgery for people who have lost more than 100 pounds and kept it off... there are many gaps in healthcare coverage. We all have to work together to fight for what should be covered, as well as to reduce non-essential costs where possible too. There's not a bottomless money pitt to dip into, but there should be some way mould the system as we go to include cases such as the one above.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 04-29-2014, 08:36 AM
Banned

Quote:

This is what happens when government runs anything. This is the cost of not having a balanced budget and trying to fund every pie in the sky dream from art projects to sex change operations. People that really do NEED healthcare get caught outside the system.

The gov't needs to quit trying to be everything to everyone. In the case of healthcare, people need to start paying their own way when it comes to checkups and broken arms when they can. Gov't subsidized healthcare should be paid to private providers and only for catastrophic occurrences or when the client cannot afford it.

Here's hoping she gets the help she needs. Thank goodness there are still remnants of a private healthcare system in the US where she can get this surgery done. If it was up to gov't, as I have seen all to often, the answer to many painful health problems is to either suffer with it for your life OR suffer with it until we get around to it.

Last edited by rugatika; 04-29-2014 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post

This is what happens when government runs anything. This is the cost of not having a balanced budget and trying to fund every pie in the sky dream from art projects to sex change operations. People that really do NEED healthcare get caught outside the system.

The gov't needs to quit trying to be everything to everyone. In the case of healthcare, people need to start paying their own way when it comes to checkups and broken arms when they can. Gov't subsidized healthcare should be paid to private providers and only for catastrophic occurrences or when the client cannot afford it.

Here's hoping she gets the help she needs. Thank goodness there are still remnants of a private healthcare system in the US where she can get this surgery done. If it was up to gov't, as I have seen all to often, the answer to many painful health problems is to either suffer with it for your life OR suffer with it until we get around to it.
Partially agree. The government needs to stop funding art projects and their friends retirement at our expense.

We do however need publicly funded healthcare to prevent the very limited number of physicians and surgeons, not to mention the leeches in the insurance industry, from gouging patients in their time of need. Private healthcare is profit based, not results or care based.
Old 04-29-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Partially agree. The government needs to stop funding art projects and their friends retirement at our expense.

We do however need publicly funded healthcare to prevent the very limited number of physicians and surgeons, not to mention the leeches in the insurance industry, from gouging patients in their time of need. Private healthcare is profit based, not results or care based.
Profit is paid for results. Government paycheques are paid for showing up. How many losers has Alberta Healthcare Services gone through now, all of them getting a tidy sum for doing nothing?

I can agree with you that there are people in this society that need their healthcare paid for by taxes. All too often, however, we have seen that private business is run more efficiently and effectively. Let private companies provide healthcare and the government can pay for catastrophic issues like cancer, major surgeries, etc and for those that can't afford it. How long does your dog have to wait for an MRI?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:46 AM

I would like to donate some money to help with the surgery. Does anyone know of any way to do this or if there has been anything set up for donations?
Old 04-29-2014, 09:54 AM
Banned

Quote:

Many European countries have a mixture of private and public health care. Why not look at one of those models instead of saying Wild Rose, or anyone else that tries to fix our system, is trying to completely privatize health care. When I heard Wild Rose talk about health care, the European systems were talked about, not the US system. Canada ranks lower than most European countries (I'm talking Germany, France, etc.) for wait times for sure. We have to do something with our system, because as our population gets older, the current system will bankrupt us. It has to get more efficient.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugatika View Post
Profit is paid for results. Government paycheques are paid for showing up. How many losers has Alberta Healthcare Services gone through now, all of them getting a tidy sum for doing nothing?

I can agree with you that there are people in this society that need their healthcare paid for by taxes. All too often, however, we have seen that private business is run more efficiently and effectively. Let private companies provide healthcare and the government can pay for catastrophic issues like cancer, major surgeries, etc and for those that can't afford it. How long does your dog have to wait for an MRI?
True, that's where the issue lies. The waste is not in actually paying for healthcare, it is paying some politically connected executives for nothing. But that occurs in private healthcare as well, and even more so in the insurance industry. So if we eliminated the waste, there would be much less burden on the taxpayer while maintaining access.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Many European countries have a mixture of private and public health care. Why not look at one of those models instead of saying Wild Rose, or anyone else that tries to fix our system, is trying to completely privatize health care. When I heard Wild Rose talk about health care, the European systems were talked about, not the US system. Canada ranks lower than most European countries (I'm talking Germany, France, etc.) for wait times for sure. We have to do something with our system, because as our population gets older, the current system will bankrupt us. It has to get more efficient.
Different age population, different tax structure, different access rules, no FN, much smaller geographically, etc. not saying we can't learn from them but it wouldn't be a drop in fit.

More efficient is as I stated: less politically connected executive salaries. What will happen when you have an entire insurance industry to support? Think that will be more efficient?

And when the wildrose and pc's hold meetings with American healthcare insurance executives it doesn't take much to figure out where things are headed.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
I fully support covering the costs for both of these scenarios.

There are plenty of other examples of procedures that should be covered... laser treatments to correct rosacea disfigurement, dental care for people who have medical conditions that destroy their teeth, skin removal surgery for people who have lost more than 100 pounds and kept it off... there are many gaps in healthcare coverage. We all have to work together to fight for what should be covered, as well as to reduce non-essential costs where possible too. There's not a bottomless money pitt to dip into, but there should be some way mould the system as we go to include cases such as the one above.
Cosmetic surgery, unless there is a form of severe disfigurement should not be on the freebee list period, at least that's how things would be if it was up to me. First make sure everyone is alive and well before we pay for Peter to become Patty. It's amazing how they put cosmetic surgery in front of life or death procedures or medications.
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Cosmetic surgery, unless there is a form of severe disfigurement should not be on the freebee list period, at least that's how things would be if it was up to me. First make sure everyone is alive and well before we pay for Peter to become Patty. It's amazing how they put cosmetic surgery in front of life or death procedures or medications.
I agree, some little girl has a issue that SHE CANT HELP

Yet some dork who wants to wear a skirt and have the parts to go with it can get it without fighting?

seems right??? NOT
Old 04-29-2014, 02:58 PM

http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...mikayla/164560
You can donate here. Hopefully not a scam website.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:50 PM
Banned

Was going to ask if there is a donation site, I'll visit an ATB as soon as I can.

Just really too bad that this isn't covered. Anyone think we have free health care now?
Old 04-29-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oyster_777 View Post
http://www.youcaring.com/medical-fun...mikayla/164560
You can donate here. Hopefully not a scam website.
Fantastic!

Thank you!
Old 04-29-2014, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Gender reassignment surgery isn't considered cosmetic.
Obviously, this isn't the best venue for having that discussion, but there is ample evidence to show it's much more than a skin-deep issue.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 04-29-2014, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post

As Canadians we already have a mixture of private and public health care. The rich people go to the USA or Europe for many procedures [look up politicians who went south for heart surgery]. You don't seriously think the 1% will sit on a waiting list for years and years to get a heart valve fixed do you?

Privatizing health care is more about setting someone up to make huge salaries and profits on the backs of the sick.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
As Canadians we already have a mixture of private and public health care. The rich people go to the USA or Europe for many procedures [look up politicians who went south for heart surgery]. You don't seriously think the 1% will sit on a waiting list for years and years to get a heart valve fixed do you?

Privatizing health care is more about setting someone up to make huge salaries and profits on the backs of the sick.
It's not just a 1% thing. I go to the mayo clinic in Phoenix every 2 years. For $4500 I get the full up and down with the latest and greatest technology. Company pays for it.
Old 04-29-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
It's not just a 1% thing. I go to the mayo clinic in Phoenix every 2 years. For $4500 I get the full up and down with the latest and greatest technology. Company pays for it.
Taxable benefit? Have they ever picked anything up?
Old 04-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arachnodisiac View Post
Gender reassignment surgery isn't considered cosmetic.
Obviously, this isn't the best venue for having that discussion, but there is ample evidence to show it's much more than a skin-deep issue.
Maybe so, but it's not life threatening, nor is it a necessity, it's a "want" not a need plain and simple. We shouldn't put wants before needs ever.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Maybe so, but it's not life threatening, nor is it a necessity, it's a "want" not a need plain and simple. We shouldn't put wants before needs ever.
The suicide rate of the transgender population might convince you otherwise. There are quite a few things that could be classified as "wants" that are covered, and for similar psychological reasons. (Treatment for sexuality-based concerns such as ED as one example, though there are many others such as contraception for instance.) In other words, "needs" and "wants" are not a black and white issue, and it's a difficult to categorize depending on whether you look at funding from a collective or individual perspective, and whether healthcare takes into account acute as well as preventative treatment. Even the economics are very complicated when looking at the ROI comparisons over different time spans.

There's definitely always room for improvement, and I believe we have to be absolutely vigilant in trying to reduce bureaucratic spending to direct funding to the frontlines of healthcare. It's a work in progress.

www.SnakesonaPlain.ca
Old 05-01-2014, 09:51 AM

Is there any time at all where the Gov't privatized anything and it turned out better for us...in my opinion privatizing health care completely would just make sure that those who are sick and can't afford to pay will just remain sick or get a whole lot poorer,as it is now we all pay for health care every month if we need it or not..yes we are aging and the Gov't will make us all believe that money will run out of any program if it suits them..reality is there are new little ones being born everyday who will continue to pay as they get older..i agree that the health care system needs a tune up big time..but it is within its own ranks as to where that tune up should be..Not ours!!
I pray the little girl gets what she needs to live a long and healthy life..

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 05-01-2014, 10:07 AM

Quote:

Isn't that just sick? Pathetic.