Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 04-30-2014, 09:21 AM

Default Hunting in the USA.

I am thinking of going down to hunt pheasant in Montana next fall.
Is there anyone that has done this from this forum, if so I have a few questions for you.
1.To enter in the USA with a firearm what forms do I need.From what I have read I need a ATF Form 6NIA
2. I would sooner purchase shotgun shell ammo in Montana am I able to do that.
3. Can I bring any ammo back to Canada that I have purchased in USA.
Any one that can share their experiences of hunting in the USA would be greatly appreciated. I will be hunting on public areas and not some outfitter.

Bro
Old 04-30-2014, 10:22 AM

You are allowed to buy ammo in the US if you have a valid hunting license but that doesn't mean you can load up and bring a whole bunch back into Canada.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 04-30-2014, 10:59 AM

Default Montana

That form is the right one. If you fax it you get it a lot quicker.
You can buy ammo in the US and Canada lets you bring back a huge amount. I am not sure on the US side if they stopped you coming home if they would let you cross with the ammo.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:00 AM

You can bring up to 5000 cartridges of ammo back into Canada. Not sure if you can go over that amount, or what the rules are regarding powder/bullets etc.

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/importation/9909
Old 04-30-2014, 11:16 AM

It's the US side that is the problem. They will let you bring back the amount that is on your permit from what I know. Above and beyond that you may get yourself in some hot water on the US side.

Don't argue with a fool, he'll bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Life Member of:
Wild Sheep Foundation Alberta
Wild Sheep Foundation
NRA

Old 04-30-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryry4 View Post
It's the US side that is the problem. They will let you bring back the amount that is on your permit from what I know. Above and beyond that you may get yourself in some hot water on the US side.
This. 100 percent. The border guards told us that it is a felony two weeks ago hunting turkey.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:19 PM

Default U.S. hunting

Things are always changing, thanks to President Obama! Best to check with US Dept of Alcolohol. tobacco and firearms as to what they reqiure. I suggest you do this closer to your departure date - say 4-5 weeks in advance.
A heads-up regarding ammo. Obama has realized he can't control firearms so he (and his colleagues) have crippled US ammunition manufacturers & suppliers. Supplies of ammo are quickly dwindling in the USA. Some expect there may not be any US manufactures ammo come fall hunting season.
My US hunitng partners are already asking for me to send them anything I can- but not that easy!
Good luck