Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-17-2020, 11:22 PM

Thumbs up Old dog winter sports- Volleyball after 35 years

They have been opening the school here every Monday night for evening volleyball. Last week was the first time I have played in a couple decades. I spent the first hour or so trying to get my serves in, and forgot I was old. My shoulders reminded me for the first few days, but it only took 2-3 days for them to start working again.
Went again today, didn't serve as hard as last week, and feel much better. My legs feel better than last week too, almost wish we did this twice weekly now, great fun.
Anyone else playing volleyball this winter?

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-18-2020, 07:01 AM

I played a few games earlier this year. I was amazed when I went up for the high spike like I used to do in High school and the lack of jumping height was like, what!? Takes a while to get the spring back if ever, ha. Have fun, it's a great sport.
Old 02-18-2020, 12:27 PM

Okotok it is funny, my extremely fit 26 yr old daughter is very sore this morning. I have some muscle pain for sure, but nothing like last week. You are right about jumping, I mostly just smash while standing lol. I remember telling her not to be crazy and dive for the ball, it's just fun.

So there I was, laying on the floor, after a dig and a dive, all I could say was "I've fallen....." the other side burst into laughter and we got the point.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-25-2020, 12:36 PM

Talking

Week 3-

went last night, we played longer than the other nights, and it was awesome. Far less sore each time, am remembering how to cover holes, center court smashes are working, and I have smartened up on serving so I do not hurt. Trying too hard the first night I thought my arm was going to fly off with the ball.

I videotaped last weeks fun for the Grandsons, and after that I have cut out bread, starches, sugar.

This morning for the first time in lemme see- 1, no 3 maybe 4 decades I had breakfast; an orange and a banana.

My shoulders are much better this morning, it is working. I wish I had known about this years ago.

Back to tennis this summer hopefully.

Old 02-25-2020, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
They have been opening the school here every Monday night for evening volleyball. Last week was the first time I have played in a couple decades. I spent the first hour or so trying to get my serves in, and forgot I was old. My shoulders reminded me for the first few days, but it only took 2-3 days for them to start working again.

Went again today, didn't serve as hard as last week, and feel much better. My legs feel better than last week too, almost wish we did this twice weekly now, great fun.

Anyone else playing volleyball this winter?
Yep, play Men's volleyball every Thursday night and spare most Wednesday nights in Co-ed. Have been playing since September and men's goes until April.

Usually play a Co-ed tournament at the start of December and another one coming up in 3 weeks in Canmore.

Used to (between basketball and volleyball) play 5 nights a week, but had to cut it back as it was just too much.

Good for you for getting back into it Ken. Just make sure that you avoid any injuries if you can (I DO NOT recommend chasing a ball into bleachers)

Have a great time!

J.

Sent from my SM-G955W using Tapatalk
Old 02-26-2020, 07:03 AM

I find myself checking this thread each week to see how the game went - great thread and inspiring.

They don't get big by being dumb.