Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 02-26-2020, 10:52 AM

Default New Alberta Bill introduces fines for illegal protests

https://dailyhive.com/calgary/albert...B1kWIPz2QHIemY

The Alberta government announced today the introduction of a new bill, that, if passed, would create strict penalties for protesters blocking “critical infrastructure.”

Bill 1, the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act, imposes stiff new penalties on protesters who block critical, essential infrastructure, with fines of up to $10,000 and $25,000 for first and subsequent offences, as well as possible prison time of up to six months.

According to a release, the bill “would designate infrastructure such as railways, highways and pipelines as critical and create offences for trespassing, interfering with operations and construction, and causing damage.”

The release continues, “Corporations that aid, counsel, or direct the commission of an offence could face fines of up to $200,000. In addition, where a corporation commits an offence, the officer, director or agent of the corporation who directed or authorized it would be liable to penalty.”

Now make the Corporation fines $2,000,000 and $200,000,000 for the second offense and companies might take notice. A $200,000 fine is money well spent for them.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-26-2020, 11:00 AM

It is all fine and good with the larger penalties, Who is going to pay these? People will actually have to be convicted, or arrested and fined? Convictions do not happen in the fairy tale world of handouts we live in now a days.
Old 02-26-2020, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
It is all fine and good with the larger penalties, Who is going to pay these? People will actually have to be convicted, or arrested and fined? Convictions do not happen in the fairy tale world of handouts we live in now a days.
You might be surprised, this is substantial enough, and causes enough grief Canada-wide that Government and Forces are going to pay attention. Fines in the Hundreds of Thousands mean $$$ in the coffers.

This may be the kick in the ass that is required.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-26-2020, 11:12 AM

The problem is the blockades are not within Alberta. It’s a good idea but unless the rest of the country follows suit it won’t have much impact. The other thing is these protesters are already breaking laws but there is a lack of enforcement

It’s a step in the right direction though
Old 02-26-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky buck View Post
The problem is the blockades are not within Alberta. It’s a good idea but unless the rest of the country follows suit it won’t have much impact. The other thing is these protesters are already breaking laws but there is a lack of enforcement

Yet. They have set up in Edmonton for a short time, expect those to grow after twinkletoes shed a tear and said please stop, showing we have no teeth.

If this is passed the other Provinces 'may' follow.

Old 02-26-2020, 11:21 AM

90% of protesters don't work and you can't squeeze blood from a stone, garnish the welfare ? Jail terms would be more appropriate but that would be unconstitutional we are so screwed.
Old 02-26-2020, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
90% of protesters don't work and you can't squeeze blood from a stone, garnish the welfare ? Jail terms would be more appropriate but that would be unconstitutional we are so screwed.
And that is where community service comes into play. May not be able to get $ out of them but free labor and keeping them too busy to protest is very possible
Old 02-26-2020, 12:43 PM

setting up a blockade could be punishable by death and nothing would change, as long as our LEO act as if they are neutered and scared of the FNs this will continue.
Laws mean nothing unless enforced
Old 02-26-2020, 12:51 PM

At least this new law is on the books should we be targeted for blockades. Shows our leaders are not putting up with the crap. If they blockade, arrest them, get their info on who they are and where they are from and let them go with a fine. If they want to challenge it down the road, so be it. At least we see who is there over and over again.

I like how the fines compound daily. Seems like a better deterrent than we have now.
Old 02-26-2020, 01:07 PM

Quote:
And that is where community service comes into play. May not be able to get $ out of them but free labor and keeping them too busy to protest is very possible
This will be some kind of pantyhose human right violation! Never happen!disgruntled today? ya, look at what is happening around Canada and the world and ask WTF.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:23 PM

Quote:

It's a terrible idea. Its washing away more civil liberties. I am all for allowing the RCMP to come and arrest the protesters when necessary. That's their job!

The problem here is that one day there may just be something you will want to be protesting against. IE firearms or healthcare. But you're not going to cause I guarantee theres not a snow balls chance you could afford the fines. These measures are all about controlling everyone including the unions. Once Kenney crumples the unions he will be coming after everybody's wages. It will only hurt us all.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:26 PM

Also all organizations supporting the protests should have to public disclose all investors and supports. And if we really feel like finding people fine out of country protestors and paid protestors.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:53 PM

It's all political BS until the Leo's do what they are paid to do! Spineless turds with a badge that can be bought! They took an oath. Let's face it, It's all about the $$$$$$ Follow the trail.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 02-26-2020, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
It's a terrible idea. Its washing away more civil liberties. I am all for allowing the RCMP to come and arrest the protesters when necessary. That's their job!

The problem here is that one day there may just be something you will want to be protesting against. IE firearms or healthcare. But you're not going to cause I guarantee theres not a snow balls chance you could afford the fines. These measures are all about controlling everyone including the unions. Once Kenney crumples the unions he will be coming after everybody's wages. It will only hurt us all.
We would never get away protesting on a rail way as it is now.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:57 PM

Laws are useless, if they aren't enforced. Until the police start enforcing the injunctions, nothing will be accomplished.
Old 02-26-2020, 08:59 PM

Quote:

You are confusing legal protests, with illegal protests, there is a huge difference.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:10 PM
Banned

Default Better Yet !

Funding to individuals with First Nation Status should be delivered by train !
Payments to be printed in Ottawa and delivered by rail to other destinations.
Shipments of goods disrupted by protests take precedence over postal mail until the backlog is cleared.
Old 02-26-2020, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Laws are useless, if they aren't enforced. Until the police start enforcing the injunctions, nothing will be accomplished.
This may be the kick in the ass that is required

Everything is n place, just no one is willing to lower the boot.

Grizz
Old 02-26-2020, 10:03 PM

$200,000

Lol

Cheaper to be convicted of manslaughter. Or shooting the last panda bear

Just enforce the criminal code and you dont need another law
Old 02-27-2020, 09:14 AM

Default Fines for illegal demonstrations

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
https://dailyhive.com/calgary/albert...B1kWIPz2QHIemY

The Alberta government announced today the introduction of a new bill, that, if passed, would create strict penalties for protesters blocking “critical infrastructure.”

Bill 1, the Critical Infrastructure Defence Act, imposes stiff new penalties on protesters who block critical, essential infrastructure, with fines of up to $10,000 and $25,000 for first and subsequent offences, as well as possible prison time of up to six months.

According to a release, the bill “would designate infrastructure such as railways, highways and pipelines as critical and create offences for trespassing, interfering with operations and construction, and causing damage.”

The release continues, “Corporations that aid, counsel, or direct the commission of an offence could face fines of up to $200,000. In addition, where a corporation commits an offence, the officer, director or agent of the corporation who directed or authorized it would be liable to penalty.”

Now make the Corporation fines $2,000,000 and $200,000,000 for the second offense and companies might take notice. A $200,000 fine is money well spent for them.
Does that mean administration office of FN community will face these fines if members of that community are part of a illegal demonstration?
Old 02-27-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
Does that mean administration office of FN community will face these fines if members of that community are part of a illegal demonstration?
Are you kidding? Ever hear the term 'thrown out to the wolves'?

There are already countless testimonies from within the bands stating they are against the protests, think that is not carefully orchestrated?

Old 02-27-2020, 10:20 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
we are dreaming when it comes to disciplining certain people in this country as they always have an out...will not pay fines...will not do labour, you gonna do what when it doesn't want to move, cant whack'em ...so they lay around in prison and get a free ride until released..then back out it another free ride....complete joke....look at Prince Alberts prisons....holding ground for scum...just to get out and repeat because there is no real consequences....just a gravy train ride...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2020, 10:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by antlercarver View Post
that would be awesome and pay for the ones in prison to...funds taken right off the initial paycheck the guberment hands out then let'em take care of their own....which would happen real soon ohhh wait no it wouldn't cuz they would protest of harsh doings....complete circle jerk.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-27-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
that would be awesome and pay for the ones in prison to...funds taken right off the initial paycheck the guberment hands out then let'em take care of their own....which would happen real soon ohhh wait no it wouldn't cuz they would protest of harsh doings....complete circle jerk.
But if the police seized and impounded every vehicle that was used to get someone, or any supplies, food, etc. to an illegal protest, it would discourage the protesters, and it would help to offset the cost to police these protests. And if they Charter a bus, or take a taxi, seize them, the companies will soon stop accepting passengers going to protest locations. Protests only work if the people and supplies can get to the protest location.
Old 02-27-2020, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
But if the police seized and impounded every vehicle that was used to get someone, or any supplies, food, etc. to an illegal protest, it would discourage the protesters, and it would help to offset the cost to police these protests. And if they Charter a bus, or take a taxi, seize them, the companies will soon stop accepting passengers going to protest locations. Protests only work if the people and supplies can get to the protest location.
Seize every thing that is used in committing an illegal act, even there shoes.

Anyone wearing a mask and carrying a weapon of any type and does not put it down and comply with the law shall be shot. If I was a leo I wouldn't want to be killed by taking that risk from someone hiding his face.

I think JT should remove his mask also and let us all see the coward tattoo on his head.

JD
Old 02-27-2020, 09:04 PM

Quote:

No time for protesting here.
I’m to busy working so I can pay the government so they can pay the protesters enough to protest the money I make.
Old 02-28-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:

Agreed, I think these fines/penalties were more created for the upcoming health care/education/firearms bans unrest than the current protests going on IMO. I also agree that if protesters at illegal blockades were arrested and actually held with charges and court dates this may not be needed.....