Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-09-2018, 12:11 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
The Slovak sounds like a Russian mob enforcer, both would provide the same results on pests
Haha!!!

Did you get 1 yet Dave? If you want I can grab you 1 at MGO Lloyd and bring it to Edmonton for you. I think there is a Venom there still, theor price is $175 on sale, $229 on sale at Cabela's

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-09-2018, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
My cats have always been indoor cats. Dogs have never free roamed. OP mentioned killing cats. He clarified he hasn’t and wouldn’t kill obvious pets in the future. If a dog is attacking cattle I can see an issue. A pet cat however would not cause financial loss. So all is good. OP made a statement in his thread. I expressed an opinion. He clarified and is clearly a good guy.

All is great in the magpie feeding world.

As an aside I have also seen crows sitting on a perch over water and snatching ducklings as they swim under. Smart and very efficient predators.
Cats sure can cause damage. I lived in town for exactly 6 months of my life. Some neighbours cat made a vacation spot in my garage crawling in through a spot in the soffit and ruined 1200$ worth of hockey equipment and 4-500$ worth of camping gear by making them its restroom.

I do agree with poison though...not a cool way to go. My cousin used to use a concoction of pepsi, rat poison, and anti-freeze to kill somechicken killing coons...killed the coons very well but also inadvertently killed their dog as well.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:07 PM

I'm plagued by magpie's and crows no robins or song birds around anymore I thought about poison too much risk, a rat trap with a chunk of meat? with my luck the neighbours cat would be caught in it.
Like in the movie the purge cities should have a sanctioned open season on crows and magpie's for one day year, air guns only.
Old 09-09-2018, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I'm plagued by magpie's and crows no robins or song birds around anymore I thought about poison too much risk, a rat trap with a chunk of meat? with my luck the neighbours cat would be caught in it.
Like in the movie the purge cities should have a sanctioned open season on crows and magpie's for one day year, air guns only.
Have you tried the magpie trap made out of chicken wire? VERY effective. Treeguy has a wildly amusing thread on here somewhere about it....

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 09-09-2018, 09:14 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Haha!!!

Did you get 1 yet Dave? If you want I can grab you 1 at MGO Lloyd and bring it to Edmonton for you. I think there is a Venom there still, theor price is $175 on sale, $229 on sale at Cabela's
I’d luv one but unfortunately I’ve been spending too much money on house renovation/repair this year and I’m pretty sure mrs mudbug would use it on me if one more magpie type feeder showed up in the house
It’s been a really expensive year and I might be having to go after a contractor for negligence on an issue soon....... but lunch with you sometime would be awesome if you get a chance sometime when your in town
Old 09-16-2018, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Pcp?

Brand of scope?

Maybe a first ever AO meet at cabelas is in order? Or fishin hole? We used to meet at ws all the time, even bass pro once.
Sorry, haven't been on here very steady. Meant to reply a while back. As the others mentioned a pre-charged. Got mine as a package with a hand pump. Heard the first few pumps were iffy, but hopefully they are better now. Haven't used it enough to break it. Apparently helps to pump slower. Doesn't take many to refill mine either. Probably get around 30 really consistent shots, and then it takes about 60 pumps to fill it to max again. The Disco runs at a lower pressure, so it's pretty easy to do. The pump looks a bit like a full size hand pump that you would use to fill a tire, but operates at a much higher pressure.

Mine is also dual fuel, so I can fill from a paintball type C02 canister. Gives a bit less power, but about double the shots, and a bit quieter.

I put an older Tasco big game rifle scope on it. Got way too good a deal on it from TuffBluff. Felt a little guilty about that.

Not really meant for close range, but it works pretty well, and I think a better scope than the new ones, and probably stands up better than a rimfire scope.

One of the reasons that I went to a PCP, was the lack of recoil which allowed me to shoot better, and mount any scope on it. Cost a little more for the gun, but I figure I made it up by not having to buy an expensive springer rated scope.

I'd be up for a meet for sure! Probably won't make it anywhere for about a month though. Cabelas would be good.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 09-16-2018, 07:12 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Default Spot on

Quote:
Originally Posted by obsessed1 View Post
If they have such an emotional connection to their pets they should keep them home or in their yard. Any pet at large is against the law. Feral cats are a huge problem and they get shot. Dogs at large that pose a threat to livestock get the same. If the critter is your pet keep it home. No excuses.
We have had issues with neighbours dogs coming on our property and starting fights with our dogs in the past. Fortunately our dogs can hold their own and we have never needed to go to the vet but there has been blood drawn.
One call to the neighbors letting them know their dogs will be shot and problem over.
These neighbors have had dogs impounded for being at large more than a few times but they just don't seem to get the message.
One is a mastif one a Doberman, and a choc lab. All three are aggressive.

Pet owners need to keep tabs on their pets

Well said, not bad lets bad owners.....

Had the pellet pistol out the other day...one squirrel in the pot

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 09-16-2018, 04:03 PM

Had to add a post, went to visit a buddy on the farm last week, got me a couple with my Walmart 2240 22 cal. CO2 pistol.

D.

Original Crosman

Upgraded mine with some bling, little air gun hits hard.

Growing the Collection, Crows on left & M-Pies on right.

Old 09-16-2018, 06:30 PM

Right on Zip! Good pile!!

I got 2 yesterday. They are definately more wary around here after the 5 one day.

Old 09-21-2018, 11:18 AM

Magpies sure love peanuts! It is hilarious watching the squirrel and bluejays tangle over them.
Another 3 magpies in 5 minutes this morning. Huge one too, easy to feed.

Old 09-21-2018, 02:33 PM

Nice collection of tail feathers Zip-in-Zip. Your handle should be "the magpie mortician".
You saving the feet to make some earrings for the ladies or back scratchers for the men to sell at the farmers market?
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 09-21-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Nice collection of tail feathers Zip-in-Zip. Your handle should be "the magpie mortician".
You saving the feet to make some earrings for the ladies or back scratchers for the men to sell at the farmers market?
Bwaaaahahahahaaa lol!!!

Yep that was a good one!!

Old 09-21-2018, 02:39 PM

I wonder if the whiners are going to give me hell for the magpie bait pile?

Illegal baiting of non game animals?

Oop gtg- more hungry customers!!! This could be a great weekend!!!

Old 09-27-2018, 10:37 AM

Thumbs up CHRISTMAS!!! or just like it

Got this in the mail, 5 neat little bags of assorted weight pellets neatly arranged by name, class, weight. Very cool, and thank you so much!!!!
Come on windless day!!!

Old 10-02-2018, 04:47 PM

Oh how I love this new birdfeeder. Magpies lined up ~65 yards away. When 1 went to sleep another started screaming at it and poking it. It laid down right next to it. Gonna be a fun day, already got 3 this morning with the old Slovak too!

Old 10-02-2018, 08:06 PM

That's sweet! got 2 the other day the same way, dropped one and the other one refused to leave so I dropped it 2ft from the first one. Only 35yrds tho, 65 is some good shooting!
Old 10-02-2018, 08:24 PM

That’s some good shooting Ken
Old 10-02-2018, 09:56 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks guys.

I would have never even tried with the old Slovak, but that new one shoots like a .22. I have been practising at 50 yards and up.
Trouble is I am unable to turn the scope up past 4, it just will not focus. I thought maybe my eyes had worn out, but all my other scopes are just fine. Just a cheap scope, but again deadly accurate little toy.

I was watching the YT videos where the guys had attached a little digital camera to the scope and record shots that way, I think I am going to have to do that. Pretty cool (although a bit morbid) way of watching the shots.

Old 10-02-2018, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Thanks guys.

I would have never even tried with the old Slovak, but that new one shoots like a .22. I have been practising at 50 yards and up.
Trouble is I am unable to turn the scope up past 4, it just will not focus. I thought maybe my eyes had worn out, but all my other scopes are just fine. Just a cheap scope, but again deadly accurate little toy.

I was watching the YT videos where the guys had attached a little digital camera to the scope and record shots that way, I think I am going to have to do that. Pretty cool (although a bit morbid) way of watching the shots.
In most cases the packaged scopes are garbage, I’m looking at Hawke Optics Airmax line for my next scope. It’s a mildot based reticle for hold over/under, magnum springer rated and ao. The downside is the closest retailer for Hawke in wolverine g&t in red deer but the don’t stock the Airmax line, so it’s mail order in.
Old 10-03-2018, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtecngsr View Post
That's the .22 cal pile (I have about the same in .177 too.)

Sure would.

V
Little delayed in getting what I have up, but here it is.

Brand. Weight. Cal. Model

Eunjin. 32.4gr. .22
Eunjin. 28.5gr. .22
H&N Sport 24.69gr .22 Rabbit MagnumII
H&N Sport 16.36gr. .22 Field Target
H&N Sport 21.14gr. .22 Baracuda
Ultra Shock 25.4gr. .22 Heavy
Beenman. 15.74gr. .22 Silver Sting
Beenman. 21.14gr. .22 Kodiak extra heavy
Beenman. 17.13gr. .22 Silver Arrow
AirArms. 18.13gr. .22 Diabolo
AirArms. 16gr. .22 Diabolo
Gamo. 15.3gr. .22. Hunter
Big Boy. 28.6gr. .22. Senior

I don't mind sharing, let me know if anything catches your eye.

V

Last edited by vtecngsr; 10-03-2018 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Missed one
Old 10-09-2018, 06:10 PM

I picked up a Crossman Phantom 500 off a fellow member for 50 and added a 1000 fps piston and spring kit from a CDN site http://scopesandammo.com I just added a 3x9 Bushnell Sportman airgun scope and Burris rings again from a fellow member and dialed it in this weekend with blue Loctite on the screws. 5 shots in a quarter at 25 yards. I'll save this one for acreage magpies but the cheap Shanghai Industries pellet gun is doing the job locally. I found a couple more torn up songbird carcasses so these things need to be shown.

PS I had a Slavia 624/627 as a kid and it would drop anything. You can still get parts for them as well to keep the fps up.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SLAVIA-CZ-SE...-/161828094290

I'm looking for some of these as well but for the time being am using the 22 cal Crossman domed ones from Princess auto and the domed Grizzly ones that are around the corner in the surplus section. So far both group well...

https://www.amazon.com/JSB-Match-Dia...ords=jsb+match

Last edited by Rdamours; 10-09-2018 at 06:20 PM.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:29 PM

Nice upgrades. I believe I will be in the market as well. Let us know where to find these parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip-in-Z View Post
Had to add a post, went to visit a buddy on the farm last week, got me a couple with my Walmart 2240 22 cal. CO2 pistol.

D.

Original Crosman

Upgraded mine with some bling, little air gun hits hard.

Growing the Collection, Crows on left & M-Pies on right.

Old 10-09-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rdamours View Post
Nice upgrades. I believe I will be in the market as well. Let us know where to find these parts.
Scopes and ammo and Canada shooting supply carry aftermarket parts for the 2240 after that there’s a number of places state side
Old 10-18-2018, 08:16 PM

I recently dropped and lost a small part for my 1322, the folks at D&L Airgun had what I needed in stock and could ship it for a few bucks. Great to deal with and don't be fooled by their website I believe they have quite a bit of stuff on hand.
Old 10-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Popped another one today, air gun hits high at 30 Yds, aiming for body got a head shot, went down like a rock .... song birds will be happy next year.

Rdamours, in regards to the 2240 bling & after market accessories, I got them from 3-4 different sources, the power adjuster came from Great Britain the majority came from Eric at Scopes/Ammo in Ontario. The scope he sold me is a pistol scope not a rifle scope, there is a difference. My buddy turned out the brass barrel brake on his lath. I custom crafted the oak pistol grips from some 3/4" stock copying a few pics I seen on the Internet. I also swap out & use the plastic shoulder stock for distance target shooting, like today's M-pie.

It was a lot of fun customizing the stock 2240, versatile air gun that hits hard.

Edit ... more tail feathers for the collection.

D.

Last edited by Zip-in-Z; 10-21-2018 at 08:52 PM.
Old 10-21-2018, 09:40 PM

Very nice. I am sure liking the new rifle too! The magpies are sure thinning out. I am thinking next year the grackles are going to be cleaned out, as well as the sparrows.

I have been trying to find out legalities on using 'moderators' on air rifles here. From what I have found, it seems there is really nothing we can use. If I am reading it right the only real quiet air rifles are the very expensive to buy PCP units. The pump guns although very effective are far louder.
I almost bought a pcp but filling them looks like a real p.i.t.a.

Old 10-22-2018, 06:40 AM

There are tons of DIY Videos,on making moderators.From styro foam & pcv pipe .You tube is the place to find them..
Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 AM

They apparently do nothing with pump rifles though, but make the already quiet pcp rifles even quieter. Neat concept. Picking off magpies one by one without making the others jump sounds great. *sigh lol

Old 10-22-2018, 09:58 AM
Banned

Default Pellets are not created equal!

Last year I notice a substantial increase in the magpie population around my place so when I bought a Crosman Nitro Venom in .177 cal it came with a Center Point 3-9x32 scope and I thought this will be easy peezy, since as a child I killed hundreds of critters with my open sight pellet rifle. Well nothing could be further from the truth lol!

I bought a can of pellets and took a few shots at 25 yards and I could not even hit the backstop that I stapled my target too and though to myself that the rifle was a lemon. The guy at the gun counter told me it was the pellet which surprised me as I thought all pellets were the same.

So I did a lot of research on You Tube and decided to buy 7 different varieties online from a store in Ontario. After testing all of the rounds I could not believe how different they all were! The best pellet that works out of my Crosman is the Air Arms Diabolo Field Heavy in 10.3 grams.

After I was finally sighted in with the right pellet I put part of a pig carcass I butchered out 25 yards from my hunting blind (My Kitchen window lol) and man did I ever have fun smoking them. Must have killed 20 + Magpies. They became very wary but in the end they just could not stay away from the pig carcass. Amazing how they go crazy when their ma or pa get nailed.

My only regret is that I did not buy a .22 cal, way more bang for the buck!

PS: I got depressed when they didn't want to play anymore and the hunt was over hahaha

Last edited by GrouseHunter; 10-22-2018 at 10:09 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 10:36 AM

they are a wonderful little rifle aren't they Grousehunter?

Mine is the same but in .22. I have bought a better scope for it, but haven't mounted it yet. I found the scope that came with it was great up close but zoom out and it was unable to focus.
The new one does not have that issue.