Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-12-2013, 11:38 AM

Default Why so late in the evening...

I popped to a creek last night after work for a couple of hours fishing and it was completely dead until sun down. Pools where i caught dozen of brookies in the day a week ago didn't have any action what so ever, tried dries, small and bigger nymphs, mini leeches... Nothing until the sun went down.
I'm still learning so i'm curious, why such a difference? I had warmer days with more action so I don't think it's the temperature.

Any one with a theory / possible explanations?
Thanks
Old 09-12-2013, 01:46 PM

The best thing to do is go again and see what happens. Possibly just changed when or what they are feeding on.
Old 09-14-2013, 09:00 PM

It has been really sunny no clouds and the fish get skittish. This time of year creeks are low and clear makes it tough. Try fishing close to cover or get into some deep pools. like I said its tough and the Brookies are getting ready to spawn soon.
Old 09-15-2013, 06:30 AM

It has been very warm the last week and water temperatures are very high(low oxygen) right now. The ones that you do hook seem like they used all there energy just to bite the hook and have no "fight" left in them. I think this time of year is the hardest on the trout in the smaller waters. They are lethargic and feel very vulnerable with the high ambient temps and low flows.
I think as the water temps drop the fishing gets the best it will be all year.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:13 AM

Another thing to consider is a lot of invertebrates enter the "drift" at low light periods to try and limit predation. Therefore, fish food is often more available in the evening....and the fish know it and start to feed.
Old 09-15-2013, 11:54 PM

That all makes sense, thanks.
I went out today furter upstream and the only fish i caught before 5pm were in the shadowy riffles and on their edges. I guess more oxygen and cooler temp.

The time difference was quite amazing, 5 fish before 5.30, 26 between 5.30 and 8.30 (including my biggest brooks)!!