Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 09-13-2013, 09:34 PM

Default teaching my daughter to cast

eacHey guys n girls any of you guys teach a kid to use a fly rod i been trying to get my eleven year old into it and she kinda has the nack of it but cant rly get it to fly ... any tips on teachin a kid
Old 09-13-2013, 09:49 PM

I helped with a class this summer. Was expecting only adults. But we had a 5-6 year old enrolled.

Here are my hints
- make it fun, barking orders won't work.
- use a smaller rod. You rod is built for an adult, this little lady had her own rod. 7' 4/5 wt bug launcher by TFO, smaller grip, smaller diameter, easier to load. She could cast this somewhat well by the end, she tried a 9ft rod her dad gave her and it was ugly.
- go simple when teaching at that age. 3 cues at most. 1) stariaight back 2)stop at your ear 3) straight to your target. That's what I used
- hardest thing was teaching her to pause to let line load her rod, I never found anything to help her with that. At that age patience is tough.

- take breaks, play in the playground, flip rocks etc. you got to make it fun.

That's all I have, make it fun, try to go to a local pond so she can catch a fish.

Cheers
Old 09-15-2013, 07:29 PM

Hi I have had the same problem I found casting teacher in the form of a short fiberglass rod with 15 ft of light yarn attached to the end. Cabelas in Edmonton has them they are a great aid in teaching someone new to fly fishing. I am sure if you look on their site you will find it.
Old 09-15-2013, 09:07 PM

Well i had her out on the pontoon yesterday. And she did not bad even managed to get a nibble lol better than her old man did ffs