Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-08-2018, 06:14 PM

Default Purchasing two mule deer tags

I picked up an undersubscribed antlered mule deer tag and noticed that after purchasing it I could also purchase a general mule deer tag on Alberta relm. I thought you could only possess one antlered mule deer tag be it a general or a draw. Is this a mistake on Alberta relm or is it legal to have a antlered mule deer draw tag as well as a general mule deer tag?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:33 PM

Ya. Somethings weird. If you have a draw tag you shouldn’t be able to have a general tag. Unless if something is different because it’s undersubscribed. But I’ve never heard of that
Old 08-08-2018, 07:50 PM

As soon as you purchased the antlered mule deer special license, the system should have removed mule deer from your purchase options.
Old 08-08-2018, 07:52 PM

Years ago a guy I know was issued two antlered mule deer special licenses...different tag numbers. He shot two antlered deer, he was charged for doing so. Contact F&W to save yourself grief.

LC
Old 08-08-2018, 09:15 PM

Well at the end of the day it's you're responsibility to know you're regulations and allowable tags. Not a computers.
Old 08-08-2018, 10:18 PM

Default Media Message

If you purchased your special undersubscribed for a antlered then you cannot get a general license as well.

The only way is that if you had a special antlerless tag and a general tag.

Last year I drew my antlerless and antlered special licenses for mulies.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 AM

Good on you for asking for clarification rather than taking advantage of a system error
Old 08-09-2018, 09:40 AM

I wonder what would have happened if the OP would actually have attempted to purchase the second license? Although he could still see it as available, the system may not have processed the request.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:02 AM

Default General tag

I'll have to look this up but I think that your special undersubscribed tag would obviously be for the buck in that particular WMU and the general would apply normally to either a buck or doe during an archery season in a general WMU zone, however since you've purchased the undersubscribed now the general is only good for the doe in a WMU that allows for archery hunting with a general tag on either buck or doe. I'm going to check this out.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoorfanatic View Post
I'll have to look this up but I think that your special undersubscribed tag would obviously be for the buck in that particular WMU and the general would apply normally to either a buck or doe during an archery season in a general WMU zone, however since you've purchased the undersubscribed now the general is only good for the doe in a WMU that allows for archery hunting with a general tag on either buck or doe. I'm going to check this out.
No, you cannot hold a general tag if you are eligible for an antlered mule deer draw.

LC
Old 08-11-2018, 09:09 AM

Quote:
This is an example of why a person should read the regulations for himself.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:12 PM

Default Mule deer tags

However we all do understand that you are allow to hold both a doe draw and buck draw tag at the same time same WMU. So whats the difference between two draw tags and one undersubscribed mule buck tag in combination with a general tag for an archery doe?
Old 08-11-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
I wonder what would have happened if the OP would actually have attempted to purchase the second license? Although he could still see it as available, the system may not have processed the request.
Knock on the door from F&W officer after the season when things slow down is my guess.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
Knock on the door from F&W officer after the season when things slow down is my guess.
Then again, the system ,may simply have not allowed the transaction.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Then again, the system ,may not have allowed the transaction.
I know that it has happened. Maybe they have fixed it, but it has happened.
Old 08-11-2018, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
I know that it has happened. Maybe they have fixed it, but it has happened.
I don't know about the unsubscribed licenses, but when purchasing regular or draw licenses , the system won't allow it.
Old 08-11-2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
However we all do understand that you are allow to hold both a doe draw and buck draw tag at the same time same WMU. So whats the difference between two draw tags and one undersubscribed mule buck tag in combination with a general tag for an archery doe?
You can’t hold more than one antlered license at that same time for mule deer.

LC
Old 08-11-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
There are no buck or doe tags in Alberta, but the bottom line is that you can't hold two mule deer licenses , that can be used to tag antlered mule deer.
Old 08-12-2018, 08:31 AM

What if you hold a replacement Antlered Mule Deer license from a CWD deer taken the previous year ?
Old 08-12-2018, 08:43 AM

Default Doe, not Buck Doe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
You can’t hold more than one antlered license at that same time for mule deer.

LC
You are allowed one buck one doe thats the point thats what I've said all along
Old 08-12-2018, 08:46 AM

Default Buck

And if you include Wainwright you can in fact tag 3 mule bucks all in the same year. Of course their all draw tags so you'd only be able to do that when in fact you drew all the appropriate tags in the same year. Next year that will likely be my situation
Old 08-12-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
You are allowed one buck one doe thats the point thats what I've said all along
You are allowed one antlerless mule deer tag, and one mule deer/antlered mule deer tag, but you can shoot two bucks, if one meets the antlerless classification. You can also shoot two does.

However, there are exceptions, you can shoot up to three antlered mule deer, and up to four does if two are shot in Camp Wainwright with the Camp Wainwright tags. And that does not include the Ministers Tag. Replacement CWD tags are another possible exception. All in all, if you drew Camp Wainwright, and won the ministers tag, and were issued a replacement CWD tag, you could possibly legally harvest up to five antlered mule deer in one year.
But the OP is not referring to any of these exceptions.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-12-2018 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-12-2018, 01:33 PM

So is there anywhere that it states that if I am receiving a CWD replacement tag this year for Mulie buck I can still go ahead and purchase a general mulie tag as well?

I'd have a hard time believing I'd be eligiable for two tags allowing the harvest of two bucks. Has anyone been through this process?
Old 08-12-2018, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byron View Post
So is there anywhere that it states that if I am receiving a CWD replacement tag this year for Mulie buck I can still go ahead and purchase a general mulie tag as well?

I'd have a hard time believing I'd be eligiable for two tags allowing the harvest of two bucks. Has anyone been through this process?
Apparently, unlike the ministers tag, the CWD tags are not exempt from the restrictions.

http://aep.alberta.ca/fish-wildlife/...t-Fall2015.pdf

Quote:
if replacement licence is a
draw
licence
, hunter must
NOT
apply in
the same applicable draw in the next
season
* if replacement licence is a
general
licence
, hunter must
NOT
purchase
a licence of this type OR any other
licence that may create a violation in
the licence combination rules.
So that would potentially leave the opportunity to kill up to four antlered mule deer in one year, if you draw Camp Wainwright, and win the Minister's Tag.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 08-12-2018 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-12-2018, 04:28 PM

That's makes sense 👍🏻
Old 08-14-2018, 06:38 AM

Default Jim

The answer to the question lies in whether or not the undersubscribed tag you purchased is for buck or doe. If you in fact got a doe undersubscribed than you are still eligible for the general tag as well. Guys I hunt with are constantly asking me what code they should be applying for and with the opportunity for two mule deer tags in a year it can be very confusing. You'll have to double check what undersubscribed you acquired and that should answer the question. The system really should allow for a general tag regardless since any C.O. can look up on the spot whether or not you do or don't have a draw for buck. That way the general could always be used on a doe in a general archery WMU season. However that's not currently the way its set up. So conclusion is you are allow 2 tags, one buck, one doe and the general would be considered a buck tag if you've already acquired a doe draw tag including an undersubscribed. Check it out with Fish and Wildlife Edmonton.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:47 AM

Quote:
The answer to the question lies in whether or not the undersubscribed tag you purchased is for buck or doe. If you in fact got a doe undersubscribed than you are still eligible for the general tag as well. Guys I hunt with are constantly asking me what code they should be applying for and with the opportunity for two mule deer tags in a year it can be very confusing. You'll have to double check what undersubscribed you acquired and that should answer the question. The system really should allow for a general tag regardless since any C.O. can look up on the spot whether or not you do or don't have a draw for buck. That way the general could always be used on a doe in a general archery WMU season. However that's not currently the way its set up. So conclusion is you are allow 2 tags, one buck, one doe and the general would be considered a buck tag if you've already acquired a doe draw tag including an undersubscribed. Check it out with Fish and Wildlife Edmonton.
It actually isn't that confusing, especially if you use the correct terminology, which is antlered/antlerless. Other than the exceptions already mentioned as in Camp Wainwright/Ministers tags, a person can't hold more than one tag that allows the harvest of an antlered mule deer.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:54 AM

Quote:
It actually isn't that confusing, especially if you use the correct terminology, which is antlered/antlerless. Other than the exceptions already mentioned as in Camp Wainwright/Ministers tags, a person can't hold more than one tag that allows the harvest of an antlered mule deer.
Exactly...because a general mule deer tag can be used for antlered OR antlerless in some areas especially during archery only srason. Also the general tag is valid in a variety of different WMU’s that’s why when you are awarded an antlered draw, you should not be able to purchase a general tag for mule deer.

LC
Old 08-15-2018, 10:03 PM

Default General tag

It's not as hard as your trying to make it. the legislation could easily allow for a person to hold an antlered draw plus a general tag. All Conservation Officers have the ability to look up whether or not a person has been successful in drawing an antlered tag. Which means if you have a general tag on a antlered mule deer than your obviously in the wrong. The general tag could easily be used for a doe in the event that a draw tag was awarded. However for some reason some people think that this is a problem. Its all a matter of legislation and how its written. If its a problem then why do allow for two tags or in some cases three tags???
Old 08-15-2018, 10:20 PM

A general mule deer tag can not be used for a doe. A general white tail tag can be used for a doe.