Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-14-2018, 07:17 PM

Default Just an odd question

Just sitting around relaxing and this popped in my head just wondering how many hunters there is in all.of canada any where I can find that info
Old 08-14-2018, 07:28 PM

https://www.google.ca/search?client=...10.dURqsH91soE

There are no absolutes
Old 08-17-2018, 01:26 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by taz1977 View Post
Just sitting around relaxing and this popped in my head just wondering how many hunters there is in all.of canada any where I can find that info
I've done a considerable amount of research on the subject.

As near as I can determine, no one knows for sure.

There appears to be no Canada wide statistics on the subject, perhaps because hunting regulations are mostly a Provincial responsibility.

Complicating matter include, hunters don't necessarily buy a license each year, there are a number of classes of hunters. For example, bird hunters, and non game hunters as in predator hunters.

Some hunters do no require licenses, treaty card holders for example and some game can be shot without a license. Snowshoe Hare for example.

Some hunting is for sport, some for damage control and some for sustenance and or traditional lifestyles.

Statistics are kept for some classes of hunting but not for others. Some hunting is Provincially regulated and some is Federally regulated.

It seems to me that it would be impossible to know how many hunters there really are but there are some figures that may be of interest.
One can find statistics on how many hunting licenses are sold by each province. You'd have to add them all together to find a Canadian total so far as I know but it seems to be the best information available on hunter numbers.

George Bernard Shaw