Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-26-2019, 08:47 PM

Default Saw a mink in Medicine Hat today

Was walking with my kids and grandson today along Seven Persons Creek, my wife says look a muskrat. Took the grandson over for a look and it was a mink sitting on a deadfall in the creek. I have seen signs of them in Cypress Hills but never imagined one would be in the middle of the prairie. Pretty cool to see.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-26-2019, 09:11 PM

Anywhere there are fish there are mink. My father in law had a trap line in that area 25 years ago and got many mink.
Old 05-27-2019, 06:41 AM

When Dipping Vat Lake just outside of Hillcrest was stocked with trout.When i would catch a sucker or chub.I would toss it on the shoreline for the resident mink population.It was almost like they knew they were going to get a fish.Strong to.1 sucker was a good 5lbs,disappeared rather quickly.You could see the grass moving with the mink,struggling to haul away on the dry grass..
Old 05-27-2019, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
When Dipping Vat Lake just outside of Hillcrest was stocked with trout.When i would catch a sucker or chub.I would toss it on the shoreline for the resident mink population.It was almost like they knew they were going to get a fish.Strong to.1 sucker was a good 5lbs,disappeared rather quickly.You could see the grass moving with the mink,struggling to haul away on the dry grass..
Man there used to be some good trout in Dipping Vat.

Thomas Sowell
Old 05-27-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallieho View Post
I think you are talking about Hill Spring not Hillcrest.
Old 05-27-2019, 01:19 PM

Your right thanks Spent alot of time there Caught many large rainbows...Shame it's NOT stocked anymore...Sorry for the hack..