Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-16-2024, 05:51 PM

Default Driving the Dempster

Looking for a little experience here. We're only planning on driving as far as the Tombstone Territorial park visitors center, I might drive a little further, my son and a friend plan on hiking to Grizzly lake. Budget wanted 1500. extra to permit driving on that highway, we settled on Driving Force and an SUV. I've heard the horror stories but my assumption is that part of the highway would be the best quality and maintained as well ?

Isaiah 5:8
Old 05-16-2024, 05:55 PM

I drove that far up a couple years ago and that part of the road was in excellent condition.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:05 PM

Many years ago (1986, 1987). Drove up dempster to Inuvik. First time picked up a cube van in Edmonton, we drove it up for a customer in 48 hours. Sleeping in cube van, and driving straight Whitehorse. Overnighted. Drove next day to Inuvik. Stopped to fill up at Eagle plains and all was good. Dusty, overall quiet in May. Likely busier now, but it’s a nice drive.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:23 PM

I drove it in a Camry a couple years back. And last yearI was up at Tombstone on Aug 1 looking for moose with my F250 with 350 000 km on it. The stretch to Tombstone isn't a big deal.

Enjoy your trip! Reach out if you're in and around the Southern Lakes (Tagish).
Old 05-16-2024, 06:36 PM

Have driven the Dempster a few times. Road is much better now than it was years ago. However, even today, the distance between stops and accommodation, fuel etc is a long ways. AMA roadside assistance is useless in that part of the world. Take cash and and take lots of spare bits like am extra spare, fan belts, at leat 20 gallons of spare gas, etc. and make sure you have water, food and a tent in case you need to camp out till help shows up. A sat phone is a good idea because cell reception is at best sporadic.

Realise that you are traveling in an area bigher than Europe with less than 75,000 people living there.

Last edited by Dean2; 05-16-2024 at 06:48 PM.
Old 05-16-2024, 06:26 PM

It’s been more than 20 years since I was up that way. Always thought the reports of poor conditions was over done. I’m sure it is in better condition now than what I thought was ok at the time. I loved the drive up that way. If I had to go back on the road again that is where I’d want to go. Watch your fuel gauge and carry extra.