Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-25-2017, 08:52 AM

Default Motion M-103 There goes our freedom of speech

http://globalnews.ca/news/3330776/an...-103-approved/
What is your take on this one? This issue seems very quite on this forum.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:55 AM

It can be summed up quite simply as discrimination based on religion.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM

Motion M-103 means precisely nothing. Zero. Just a piece of useless posturing. It will have no effect on anybody, period. Your 'end of free speech' comment is akin to 'the sky is falling'. But don't take my word for it. Rex Murphy is way smarter and well spoken. Here's what he had to say, most accurately.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...for-the-better

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-25-2017, 08:58 AM

Smile Say what ever you want

This is NOT legislation it is a motion. It is just to show how "concerned" the person who made the motion is or is not.

These go on all the time and usually the house is empty when they are made.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
This is NOT legislation it is a motion. It is just to show how "concerned" the person who made the motion is or is not.

These go on all the time and usually the house is empty when they are made.
Yes it is only another motion, but shows the mindset and intent of some people in parliamentary positions. This is how they test the waters for advancing political/legislative agendas. Lets hope this is as far as it gets. I wouldn't hold my breath.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:26 AM

I quite honestly do not see the point to this motion and what bearing it can actually have. Seems like a bunch of tripe distracting us from real issues at hand
Old 03-25-2017, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Motion M-103 means precisely nothing. Zero. Just a piece of useless posturing. It will have no effect on anybody, period. Your 'end of free speech' comment is akin to 'the sky is falling'. But don't take my word for it. Rex Murphy is way smarter and well spoken. Here's what he had to say, most accurately.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-co...for-the-better

Rex is right however look at this quote from a person that commented on the article. I agree with this

What Rex does not mention is, now that M-103 has passed, it goes to the Heritage committee for discussion...what will they discuss/...will they talk about how to do away with any criticism of islam?...once reaching a decision, in 8 months from now, they must report to Parliament...how does one ban the criticism of islam?...by making laws banning it?...this is a slippery slope that may lead to loss of freedom of speech.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:32 AM

Being that it is just a symbolic motion rather than anything legally binding I find it even more of a waste of time than if it were actual legislation. I find it offensive that time was wasted on such inconsequential drivel rather than the twits in parliament actually doing some governing in regards to the economy, jobs, national defense, etc. one look at that gong show and you realize why our Navy vessels are retired not by scheduled replacement, but by catastrophic failure before replacements are even decided upon.

This whole thing was a ridiculous waste of Parliamentary labor/time/taxes. For symbolism, nothing else. It kind of sums up the whole Liberal party. No meat, no potatoes, but lots of parsley.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fn1949 View Post
Rex is right however look at this quote from a person that commented on the article. I agree with this

What Rex does not mention is, now that M-103 has passed, it goes to the Heritage committee for discussion...what will they discuss/...will they talk about how to do away with any criticism of islam?...once reaching a decision, in 8 months from now, they must report to Parliament...how does one ban the criticism of islam?...by making laws banning it?...this is a slippery slope that may lead to loss of freedom of speech.
The motion wasn't needed for any sort of discussion or any future legislation. It's basically just more grandiose virtue signalling from Trudeau and Company.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:40 AM

Speaking of wasted time and money, anybody else see that the bureaucrats spent roughly $1.5 million on television sets (including a $14,000 unit!)....for 'teleconferenceing'. Saves money on travel. Sure. And a $500 Samsung just won't cut it? My friend and local MP Chris Warkentin blew the whistle on this one.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ousands-on-tvs

And yes, this is a derail, since the Motion is a non issue.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 03-25-2017, 09:43 AM
Banned

Liberals pass a motion on Islam, the country loses it's minds.

Harper passes C-51, we get a collective "meh".
Old 03-25-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Being that it is just a symbolic motion rather than anything legally binding I find it even more of a waste of time than if it were actual legislation. I find it offensive that time was wasted on such inconsequential drivel rather than the twits in parliament actually doing some governing in regards to the economy, jobs, national defense, etc. one look at that gong show and you realize why our Navy vessels are retired not by scheduled replacement, but by catastrophic failure before replacements are even decided upon.

This whole thing was a ridiculous waste of Parliamentary labor/time/taxes. For symbolism, nothing else. It kind of sums up the whole Liberal party. No meat, no potatoes, but lots of parsley.
And on top of all that, yesterday I read that the Heritage committee could not provide a timeline as to the study because of their current workload. I doubt we will see anything for at least a year. Its a whole lotta NOTHING. I wonder what the cost on all this is to date.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 03-25-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

I am hoping it is just a distraction from other issues, but my tin foil hat has me wondering why our PM is trying to have Friday off.

What is your take on this?

https://news.vice.com/story/ottawa-b...ith-the-public
Old 03-25-2017, 10:17 AM
Banned

A woman promoting an extremist radical religion ,,

An extremist radical religion that treats woman with contempt and abuse ,,

Huston , we HAVE A PROBLEM ,

a space cadet has been granted minister status in the House of Commons
Old 03-25-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck View Post
Speaking of wasted time and money, anybody else see that the bureaucrats spent roughly $1.5 million on television sets (including a $14,000 unit!)....for 'teleconferenceing'. Saves money on travel. Sure. And a $500 Samsung just won't cut it? My friend and local MP Chris Warkentin blew the whistle on this one.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...ousands-on-tvs

And yes, this is a derail, since the Motion is a non issue.

Flat screen HD televisions are cheap - $14k for a current video conferencing CODEC, one or two cameras and the associated audio gear is not at all out of line.

Ya gotta remember, the $1K modern TV's are likely just replacing the old $5k or $6k, power guzzling, "burned in" plasma TV's from the Harper era and the old obsolete video conferencing units that can no longer be repaired and supported.

Whining and crying about modern equipment procurement is definitely another non issue. We're not talking about new submarines or F35 purchases here.

You're just spewing unfounded politicized meanness and ignorance over purchasing new tools to reliably and effectively do the job. Your friend knows this - he's likely just acting like another bitter political opportunistic bottom feeder - one that's no longer got a buddy selling the government thousands of $5k or $6k plasma TV's.

Get outside and enjoy spring.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcbride View Post
I am hoping it is just a distraction from other issues, but my tin foil hat has me wondering why our PM is trying to have Friday off.

What is your take on this?

https://news.vice.com/story/ottawa-b...ith-the-public
It's been going on for years already, they are just trying to justify and legalize it now that people are finally starting to wake up a little.
Old 03-25-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverdoctor View Post

X2

These motions are passed all the time - an Anti-Antisemitism motion was passed last year. You are still free to criticize Judaism; in other words everyone is free to continue to act like a bigot.

Classic misdirection of popular discontent -- people worry about a non-issue while our real freedoms are stripped away all the while people will cheer it all on
Old 03-25-2017, 11:31 AM
Banned

A new petition to stop Trublows power grab is circulating. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0iGlDEisKBA