Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2014, 02:45 PM

Default Take me as apprentice electrician, I will work free for three month.

Hi everyone,

I am so desperate to become an apprentice electrician. Anyone like to take me as apprentice, I will work for you without pay for three month.
I know some basic knowledge of electric, I have tools, safety boots and hard hat. I work hard and learn quick.

I hope someone can help me achieve my goal.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:08 PM

Are you a temporary foreign worker by any chance?

You've got the right ambition, but wrong approach. No one will hire you for "free". Also, you must be a registered with Apprenticeship and Industry Training to do an apprenticeship. I recommend you start here and take the proper approach to becoming an apprentice: www.tradesecrets.alberta.ca

You will also likely need first aid, construction site safety, ground disturbance and other training courses before you can step foot on a work site.

You've got lots of research to do!
Old 09-03-2014, 03:37 PM

Default thank

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH View Post
Are you a temporary foreign worker by any chance?

You've got the right ambition, but wrong approach. No one will hire you for "free". Also, you must be a registered with Apprenticeship and Industry Training to do an apprenticeship. I recommend you start here and take the proper approach to becoming an apprentice: www.tradesecrets.alberta.ca

You will also likely need first aid, construction site safety, ground disturbance and other training courses before you can step foot on a work site.

You've got lots of research to do!

Thank for viewing my post and giving me advice. I am not foreign worker, but I am not grow up here either.

I have first aid and CSTS and I will find more information about ground disturbance course.

I really need somewhere to start with. I need experience to become an apprentice, but almost every employer wont hire you unless you have already been registered as apprentice in the department. Just like chicken and egg.
Anyway, I wont quit trying.

thanks again.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:54 PM

First of all, you shouldn't have to work for free. There are a lot of companies crying for guys that will show up everyday and give an honest effort.
Give a little information on what you're looking for ( out of town, in town, commercial, residential etc. ) and where you're living. It will help with giving further advise.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:19 PM

I'm a plumber field superintendent for a mechanical contracting company and honestly I think some guy saying he'd work for free would turn me off from hiring him just seems wrong to me haha.
My advice would be check out job listing I'm sure there are lots. Also as much as I hate unions call up the union hall for the elcictrical workers union and talk to someone there. Best of luck
Old 09-03-2014, 05:02 PM

Hi Kmacisaac and Raynf,

Thank both of you for your advice.

I just found out that people cant work for free, it is against law. But, I can not edit my original post anymore. Sorry about that.

More information about myself. I live in Calgary NW, currently working as maintenance associate in a distribution center. I am physical fit, hard working, and comfortable in high and confine space. I have First Aid, CSTS and fall arrest certificate. I have tools, car and right attitude. I don't mind do resident or commercial or industry job. As long as, I get the opportunity to start with. I am ok with travel and camp job.

I really hope some one can help me.
thanks
Old 09-03-2014, 05:10 PM
Banned

I don't think your serious about wanting to work.

If you were you wouldn't be posting on an outdoors forum.

Instead you would be out pounding the pavement...dropping off Resumes, shaking hands and doing something about it.

Why would anyone take you on if you can't show the desire to want a job by doing a little leg work?
Old 09-03-2014, 05:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawei88 View Post
Thank for viewing my post and giving me advice. I am not foreign worker, but I am not grow up here either.
I have first aid and CSTS and I will find more information about ground disturbance course.
I really need somewhere to start with. I need experience to become an apprentice, but almost every employer wont hire you unless you have already been registered as apprentice in the department. Just like chicken and egg.
Anyway, I wont quit trying.
thanks again.
Lots of information here...
http://alis.alberta.ca/index.html
Old 09-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post
Instead you would be out pounding the pavement...dropping off Resumes, shaking hands and doing something about it.
Why would anyone take you on if you can't show the desire to want a job by doing a little leg work?
I think posting on a forum/networking is more effective than not. Not everyones assumptions are the same as yours.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Default Forum worked for my son

He had pounded pavement and dropped of a lot of resumes to electrical companies both cold and from some friends we know that said XYZ is now hiring apprentices. Not even a call back never mind an interview.
AO member asked for a copy of his resume and distributed it to companies he knew were looking and he got an interview the next week and started his apprenticeship the following week. Networking does often work.

PM coming
Rob
Old 09-03-2014, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwbirds View Post
He had pounded pavement and dropped of a lot of resumes to electrical companies both cold and from some friends we know that said XYZ is now hiring apprentices. Not even a call back never mind an interview.
AO member asked for a copy of his resume and distributed it to companies he knew were looking and he got an interview the next week and started his apprenticeship the following week. Networking does often work.

PM coming
Rob
Agreed! I paid out over $100,000 in the last year to contractors/service folk I met directly through this forum. I've also invoiced a fair bit to other members. And I don't advertise here. Why limit yourself, it's a "forum" take every advantage you can.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:05 PM

If your in Edmonton give MCL or green latern a call.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:08 PM

When I wanted into my trade no one would hire me either! So I would go twice a week to the shop and ask to speak to the area manager. We would chat and for along time he didn't have any openings. Turns out it was break up, I was only 18 and really didn't know what break up was! Anyways it took two months and he finally got mad and hired me! I was just cleaning up garbage and wire scraps out back but it was an in. So giver and try hard, it'll happen!
Old 09-03-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETOWNCANUCK View Post

Thank for your reply.
I am sorry if my post make you uncomfortable.
I post here because I know lots trades come to this forum.
And I made lots of call and drop lots of resume. And the answer I got was always " thank for your application, we will call you if anything come up".
Anyway, thank for your advice. I think I really need more work on how to do job hunting. have a good night.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESOXangler View Post
When I wanted into my trade no one would hire me either! So I would go twice a week to the shop and ask to speak to the area manager. We would chat and for along time he didn't have any openings. Turns out it was break up, I was only 18 and really didn't know what break up was! Anyways it took two months and he finally got mad and hired me! I was just cleaning up garbage and wire scraps out back but it was an in. So giver and try hard, it'll happen!
Thank for sharing your experience. And I think I need to try harder and harder.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
If your in Edmonton give MCL or green latern a call.
Thank for your info.