Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-03-2014, 01:50 PM

Exclamation Warning for K country users - Thieves targetting trail head parking

http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thieves-target-vehicles-parked-at-kananaskis-trail-heads-1.1989419

Police in Kananaskis Country are investigating a series of thefts from vehicles parked overnight at trail heads in the area and say hikers should not leave valuables behind.
Police say that the culprits are targeting vehicles that are left overnight and are gaining access by smashing out the windows.
Investigators say the majority of the thefts are happening in the Elbow Pass, Lantern Creek and Interlakes Day Use areas.
Recreational users are being reminded not to leave any valuables in the vehicle, especially wallets and credit cards.
Anyone with information is asked to call the Kananaskis RCMP detachment at 403-591-7708

Read more: http://calgary.ctvnews.ca/thieves-ta...#ixzz3CHf3H57X

This just burns me. As a frequent user of these areas, and often we leave our vehicle for days at a time, I've always been worried about this sort of thing happening. Drives me nuts.

Keep an eye on each other's vehicles folks. Thieves are the worst kind of scum.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:07 PM

Or set up a game cam and maybe catch them, or at least Identify maybe them and or their vehicle for the authorities.
Old 09-03-2014, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davey Boy View Post
Or set up a game cam and maybe catch them, or at least Identify maybe them and or their vehicle for the authorities.
I'll be out that way for a week after this coming weekend. Considering there is no cell coverage in most of the trailheads, all I'll have on me is bear spray and a camera with video capabilities.

I sure hope the patrols are increased, because I'll be out that way too. We leave the vehicle empty and the tonneau cover unlocked just as a deterrant.

Did I mention I hate thieves?
Old 09-03-2014, 02:11 PM

you should have your tonneau cover rigged with a can of bear spray

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 09-03-2014, 02:48 PM

Not surprised to read this. We were at Elbow last week and there was a fresh pile of broken glass every five feet in that parking lot. Davey Boy I agree with you about the game cams. I noticed a one on the trail that was likely put there by SRD. I would think it would do more good pointed at the parking lot.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:12 PM

The theives have migrated it seems. Last year they were breaking into vehicles at the "paved" loop at Maclean Creek. They also broke into peoples vehicles at the south ghost staging area.
Old 09-03-2014, 03:16 PM

When can I apply for my " p.o.s thief tag ". Would be nice to bag a dozen !

Dodger.
Old 09-03-2014, 04:16 PM

I was going to post this warning today as well. I was down at Pickle Jar Lakes on the weekend and there was a fair amount of glass in the lot. Many people were leaving notes on the dash of their vehicles and leaving their doors unlocked. It's a shame that this is going on because it makes a fellow think twice about getting away from the rat race for a day or two, if this is what you can expect when you come back.
It would be nice to set up a trail cam or two around dome of the lots and catch the S.O.B's in action. A good old fashion ass kicking is what some of these people need.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
It's a shame that this is going on because it makes a fellow think twice about getting away from the rat race for a day or two, if this is what you can expect when you come back.
It would be nice to set up a trail cam or two around dome of the lots and catch the S.O.B's in action. A good old fashion ass kicking is what some of these people need.
yep.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:30 PM

Thats brutal....

Why doesn't the news report say hikers or flower sniffers are breaking into cars?!!
Old 09-03-2014, 05:36 PM

Had this happen to me back in 1998 at Elbow Falls/Prairie Creek when I went mountain biking and left my truck in the parking lot. Losers then and now...

Good reminder to keep an eye on other people's property.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:43 PM

I know it's a busy time for guys using cams, but if someone has 2 or 3 spares I'd be happy to 'bait' an area for a few days (I don't have any cams myself). Going to be spending 8 days in K country and not going to let fear of these losers stop me from putting some miles on the boots. Will be careful about trying to park in more visible areas.
Old 09-03-2014, 05:45 PM

Get a couple of those Walmart Ninjas... er, I mean Walmart "Loss Prevention Officers" to hide in a car and wait... LOL
Old 09-03-2014, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Get a couple of those Walmart Ninjas... er, I mean Walmart "Loss Prevention Officers" to hide in a car and wait... LOL
I got a wife and a duke, but only the dog seems to be happy when he comes out of the trunk....
Old 09-03-2014, 05:49 PM

I wonder if it's possible to wire in an Gallagher electric fencer to a pickup?? You'd have to park where there was good ground but the perps should be easy to recognize... they'd be the one with every hair stickin' straight out
Old 09-03-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
I wonder if it's possible to wire in an Gallagher electric fencer to a pickup?? You'd have to park where there was good ground but the perps should be easy to recognize... they'd be the one with every hair stickin' straight out
Same as with a bear spray set up suggested earlier... when they recover, they totally destroy your vehicle for spite. No thanks.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:24 PM

Default trail cam

Alberta Diver; if you are near Lake Sundance I have a two year old cam that you can borrow. I never learned how to use it, bought for business, cost was pretty spendy $400 or so, I hope it "good enuff", we used it to overlook equipment left over summer in a remote location.
Old 09-03-2014, 06:27 PM

Default Thieves

We got hit a couple weeks ago, broke the window and stole a bunch of stuff. The cops know it's going on and all they need to do is wait to catch someone but that would be real police work I suppose .
Old 09-03-2014, 07:16 PM

Talking

Hate thieves - hope to catch one (or more) one day.

Some (old) info......did you know there was a "Pinto Lake Bandit" ?

(just had to toss in a Pinto here )
Old 09-03-2014, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilngas View Post
Alberta Diver; if you are near Lake Sundance I have a two year old cam that you can borrow. I never learned how to use it, bought for business, cost was pretty spendy $400 or so, I hope it "good enuff", we used it to overlook equipment left over summer in a remote location.
On second thought, I could end up seeing them get stolen, and I wouldn't want that on my conscience as I would reimburse you for the cost. Those things aren't cheap.....

I do very much appreciate the offer.
Old 09-03-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Same as with a bear spray set up suggested earlier... when they recover, they totally destroy your vehicle for spite. No thanks.
yeah but a little revenge can be sweet, kinda like kickin' the dog that bit you in the nuts... you know you're likely gonna get bit again but the mental image of that dog humped up and the Ki-Yi will make it so worth it.
Old 09-04-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taco View Post
yeah but a little revenge can be sweet, kinda like kickin' the dog that bit you in the nuts... you know you're likely gonna get bit again but the mental image of that dog humped up and the Ki-Yi will make it so worth it.

Before I head out I'm going to call the RCMP number listed in the article and ask them what they are doing to step up patrols. Now that it's the off season in these areas for the most part, they should have time to be working a few nights to sting these guys.
Old 09-04-2014, 11:23 AM

There should be a 'Hunting season' for theives
along with available tags too..
Old 09-04-2014, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tri777 View Post
There should be a 'Hunting season' for theives
along with available tags too..
You don't need tags when shooting vermin...
Old 09-04-2014, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muley300 View Post
You don't need tags when shooting vermin...

Love it