Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 260 Rem View Post
mgvande - Just a fun CHALLENGE, not a competition. That is only a 7" plate. Do you think I am having an issue with parallax?
To fix your parallax problem, you need mint waxed dental floss (GUM brand, not the Chinese knockoff) roll about 10 inches off and cut with provided floss cutter, wrap it around the index finger of each hand and slide it back and forth through the notch of the rear sight and you'll have that group tightened right up!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel_wiesel View Post
I just bought a red ryder BB gun is it good enough for paper target deer ????
or should I get something larger

As always. It's not about the gun. It's all about optics. Don't skimp.

Best rule of thumb? Spend at least twice for the scope as you paid for the rifle.

That's going to set you back at least $25.00 but money well spent imo.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:12 PM

Quote:
The 5M CHALLENGE
The purpose of this Challenge is to put 5 BB's into a pie plate from a standing off-hand position at 5M ( 5 yds OK for older non- metric shooters).
*five shots only
*no coins on target which could hide a flier
*.177 cal BB only
*no restriction on gun so Daisy, Gamo, Crosman all OK

Here is an example I shot today.
Here is my 5 shot 5 meter 5 loonie standing freehand group. The conditions in the garage were 4023feet elevation, 39F, wind condition-calm, 40% humidity. I used crossman's premium 4.5mm zinc plated BB's as there ballistic coefficient is superb and they do great at bucking the wind at longer shots. The gun was a daisy muzzleloader with a smooth bore. I like the smooth bore as it doesn't torque my action. At 280fps there is some crazy forces at play. This group could of been better but I didn't take into account the coriollis effect on my BB as this was an impromptu event.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (11.5 KB, 38 views)
Old 03-21-2017, 09:13 PM

One might want too break in the barrel with lots of cleaning and limited shots at first.

Clean the rifling real good then shoot 1 shot.
Clean clean and clean.
Now launch 5 more rounds and repeat the cleaning process.

Do this 10 times being careful to not chip the crown of the quality barreled rifling that Red Ryder and Cooey Rifles come with.

Make sure the cleaning patch comes out white of the whitest,,, if any fouling is spotted, that means the bore is too tight. If this is the case then the rifle should be inspected by a qualified gun Smith as it might have a defective barrel from the factory and needs replacing immediately.

""" Caution """ DO NOT HANDLE OR SHOOT THE RIFLE AS THIS FACTORY DEFECTS COULD CAUSE HARM TOO YOU OR BY STANDARDS, PLEASE REFER TO THE OWNERS MANUAL IF IN DOUGHT...

It is wize too handle these high powered BB rifles with respect as its been known that 11 year old boys and girls cry from the heavy recoil. Most adults too.

One might consider a muzzle brake, recoil pad, and a custom made stock. Harvesting record book paper big game targets is hard to do with a factory rifle, so added funds will improve the chances of better success.

Don't skimp out by being that regular dude when you can step it up too be the bro that knows. Ha.

If you want too be the best you need too look the part.
10 gallon cowboy hat and Woody riding chaps with a Holstein vest will make you look the part. Neck scarf is an option.

Don
Old 03-21-2017, 10:57 PM

Well it depends right. If your a good shot than a red ryder is fine. But if you aim is off get a battry powered air soft gun. The bullets are hard dont worry the name keeps the antis at bay. Get a m16 or ak as everyone who is anyone knows that being able to shoot 500rnds full auto is waayvmore deadly that one bullet out of the ryder. Also dont forget your mag chnages spare battery and tactical vest. If you aint combat rolling the deer aint dropping.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:05 PM

Quote:
They kick too hard, get a 7mm 08.
Old 03-21-2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:

Do you plan on reloading or going factory?
Old 03-21-2017, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Here is my 5 shot 5 meter 5 loonie standing freehand group. The conditions in the garage were 4023feet elevation, 39F, wind condition-calm, 40% humidity. I used crossman's premium 4.5mm zinc plated BB's as there ballistic coefficient is superb and they do great at bucking the wind at longer shots. The gun was a daisy muzzleloader with a smooth bore. I like the smooth bore as it doesn't torque my action. At 280fps there is some crazy forces at play. This group could of been better but I didn't take into account the coriollis effect on my BB as this was an impromptu event.
Mighty impressive shooting mg! I'm looking to do a rebuild on my Daisy action, thinking of a Crosman barrel...probably go with a groove free 12" tube.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 AM

With the daisey's I find if you true the action then pillar and skim bed they really start to shine.
Old 03-22-2017, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Do you plan on reloading or going factory?
definitely RELOADING
THATS THE ONLYEST WAY
mould my own steel copper alloy chromium plated ammo as well
shoot where their
going not where they been,
Old 03-22-2017, 11:36 AM

Looks like I will need to get into reloading given that these "bad boys" I've been using are no longer permitted at the Range...they are clearly steel core which is a prohibited at any distance less than 50M. Fortunately, I can continue to use them for long range work.
Old 03-22-2017, 12:08 PM

Those are AP for sure.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:39 PM

Well... IMO, you can't ALWAYS depend on your standard BB or pellet. Maybe you set out in search of a trophy white tail paper target. But perhaps you stumble upon a paper grizzly.. Then what do you do!?

You need to upgrade to the 338 Lapua BB. Sure it has more kick. And the rifle and ammo will cost more. But your wife will sleep better knowing when that big old paper grizzly shows itself. You'll have the means to properly take it down.

Good luck, and may God be with your brave soul.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgvande View Post
Pretty loose group if you ask me
given 260's proclivity for ragged little holes, I'd wager this paper plate was only one of twelve and his plan is to cut and paste his own pair of paper dice.

Darn near every time I walk into Cabela's or Wholesale, no matter my shopping agenda, I always pause by the Daisy Red Ryders and say to myself, 'no, you don't need one of those'.

Colin
Old 03-24-2017, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
given 260's proclivity for ragged little holes, I'd wager this paper plate was only one of twelve and his plan is to cut and paste his own pair of paper dice.
Colin
Sooo...you noticed the four corner pattern with one in the center. I was actually doing a box test to make sure that buckhorn v rear sight was tracking properly
Don't pass up the Red Ryder, one of the best all 'round acreage guns.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Sooo...you noticed the four corner pattern with one in the center. I was actually doing a box test to make sure that buckhorn v rear sight was tracking properly
Don't pass up the Red Ryder, one of the best all 'round acreage guns.
I did notice. And the slight incongruency of the bottom left BB hole is likely due to the porch light playing off the edge of your front site. Perfectly acceptable in my opinion. Not up to Vegas standards, but then again, Vegas is Vegas.

I might just have to splurge next time in the store. I Haven't had a Red Ryder since I was just a wee tot out in Bragg Creek.

Yer bugger for bringing that memory up

Colin
Old 03-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Odd, paper deer are so easy to see broadside, but they just disappear when they turn sideways! Take your shot when you have the chance!
Old 03-25-2017, 08:23 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin242 View Post
Odd, paper deer are so easy to see broadside, but they just disappear when they turn sideways! Take your shot when you have the chance!
You need to practice the angle shot, the paper deer will get anchored on the off shoulder once the bb comes to rest, internally devastating results too

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...