Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 05:29 PM

Our primary light comes from a Coleman gas lamp, but also love the Coleman Quad lamb.

Great for on the picnic table and the four removable lights are very handy. Never need to look for a flashlight in the dark. Batteries last for 30 plus nights of use.

http://www.colemancanada.ca/en_CA/qu...000002001.html
Old 03-24-2017, 08:56 PM

I got a few of those. Hurricane lanterns I think they are called also. They are awesome.
But the two mantle, pump coleman lantern is brightest.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:22 PM

Default Coleman Northstar

The freaking thing is blinding, at least twice as bright as a 2 mantle propane lantern, four times as bright as naphtha. Mantles are very tough, usually I get a couple years on each one, they are expensive though and the globe has steel guards around it so tough (not impossible) to break.

Bit more expensive than the base level unit but well worth the difference. Not sure what their warranty is but I just had them service my Guide series stove for like $8...I think they are guaranteed for life.

You'll never buy another one.
Zeke
Old 03-24-2017, 09:29 PM

Default Mantles

The trick with mantles is never lay the stove on its side, mine last for years.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRM View Post
Our primary light comes from a Coleman gas lamp, but also love the Coleman Quad lamb.

Great for on the picnic table and the four removable lights are very handy. Never need to look for a flashlight in the dark. Batteries last for 30 plus nights of use.

http://www.colemancanada.ca/en_CA/qu...000002001.html
I have this light as well, it is a good light and great that you can take one of the sections off. But nothing throws light like the old coleman gas lights, one of those can light up an entire campsite no problem.
Old 03-25-2017, 07:49 AM

Has anyone tried the Tactical Lantern "As seen on TV"?
Old 03-25-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I've always used propane the naphtha (rocket fuel) lanterns require pumping up once they start dimming, the fuel needs to be poured and stored with propane just screw the bottle on and done for 12 hours. I usually use two lanterns one on the tabletop and the other on a rope over a tree branch to provide area light.

On a side note a friend blew himself up with the white gas trying to light a fire, the fumes went into his polyester pants (1975) upon ignition he was engulfed in flames the pants melted onto his skin. he recovered after several months in the burn unit. I'm sure he thought it was a good way for quick fire.
I always had white gas lanterns, but now have a two mantle propane one that we use with a 20lb propane tank and a distribution post. The camp stove and lantern are hooked to it.

We were camping one day many years ago and I pumped up the old gas lantern, when I lit it there were flames shooting 10 to 12 feet in the air and up into the tinder dry branches of a big pine tree. I grabbed an old weiner stick and hooked the lantern away from the tree and into a big puddle. Haven't used one since. I can just imagine if that happened in someones wall tent.