Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-15-2017, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scalerman View Post
I am still shocked every time I pull the trigger on 325 WSM how light the recoil is. I was expecting a much heavier kick from it than I have experienced from. You might want to consider that caliber.
I havent read through all this as recoil threads bore me. But anyway, it has nothing to do with the caliber. Recoil is more about the platform the caliber shoots from. I have a very light .308 in a lever action and the recoil is way more noticeable than my .300 win mag. Shoot a .45-70 in a short 18.5" barrelled Guidegun and then shoot a .45-70 in a 26" barrelled H&R buffalo classic. You would swear you were shooting different calibers. Its all about the platform.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:40 AM

Not my thread. But I'm excited to break in the new 338wm browning xbolt. Scoped and loaded she's about 9 pounds. I've never been one to be recoil shy, and enjoy a good thump. The largest cartridge hunted with was a 458wm. Bought this gun as a dedicated moose and elk smasher, and purchased it without even considering its tickle to the shoulder. Very excited.. and have put off buying this cartridge for years due to a romance with the 270win.

Xbolts in my experience are very good at sucking up recoil. My 300wsm in a 23 inch barrel....felt like a kitten lol . Worth recoil I think I can remember was my Savage 210F 12 gauge , with a 26 inch rifled Barre.. and higher velocity 3 inch magnum rounds with saboted bullets. But that was before I replaced the hockey puck pad to a limbsaver pad... you felt it the next day after 30 rounds ha!

I would not consider using it for going after sheep. Lol

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 03-15-2017 at 08:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

......you'll do what you want anyway, but my two cents worth...

I've hunted for over 50 years with a bunch of different calibers and the .338 I had in a 77 ruger was the only one I ever shot that I couldn't take the recoil.

got rid of it 'cause I couldn't hit a bull in the *ss with it (very obviously my fault). call me a sissy, but that was the only gun I ever owned that I'm happy is not in my gun safe any more.

you don't need a .338 for your stated purpose......any number of other calibers will get the job you require done, done and with a lot less pain.

seems that we're going the way of the yanks.......if it's not a 416 rigby, its not big enough to kill anything.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:10 AM

I disagree... I've always witnessed the 338wm as a classic elk cartridge... and have always wanted one. Killed my share of elk and moose with a 270 win.. but it's a new toy in the safe I wanted to have.

I too have owned a ruger m77.. and in any case...they don't absorb recoil for nothing. Lol but are pretty to look at.
Old 03-15-2017, 09:20 AM

Reality about 338 Win Mag recoil......

Reality is:
-everyone handles recoil differently
-every rifle setup transfers perceived recoil differently
Old 03-15-2017, 09:32 AM
Gone Hunting

I like to observe human behavior.

I've noticed that very few .338 shooters can shot one without flinching.

I met a couple one time that liked lashing each other with whips. I also know a fellow who took pride in snuffing cigarettes on his wrists.

The cold hard fact is, a .338 kicks like a Missouri Mule. If you love pain, it's the rifle for you and don't pay any mind to those who tell you you shouldn't buy one.

One of my most vivid memories is of laying in bed watching dad stuff the firebox of our old wood stove. Every so often a log would spit out a live coal onto the kitchen floor.
Dad would pick that coal up with his bare fingers and place it back in the stove, like he was picking up a tomato.

Some people feel pain differently then the rest of us. Maybe you are one of those people.
Just don't be one of those people who thinks trying to hide your pain proves anything to anyone.

Be who you are not what you think your friends expect you to be.
Only a fool does that.

Only you know what pain feels like to you. I find the .338 painful to shoot, you might find it pleasant.

Try one before you buy one. I can shoot 12 gauge slugs all day long but two rounds with a .338 puts me out of commission for a week or more.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 03-15-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spoiledsaskhunter View Post
......you'll do what you want anyway, but my two cents worth...

I've hunted for over 50 years with a bunch of different calibers and the .338 I had in a 77 ruger was the only one I ever shot that I couldn't take the recoil.

got rid of it 'cause I couldn't hit a bull in the *ss with it (very obviously my fault). call me a sissy, but that was the only gun I ever owned that I'm happy is not in my gun safe any more.

you don't need a .338 for your stated purpose......any number of other calibers will get the job you require done, done and with a lot less pain.

seems that we're going the way of the yanks.......if it's not a 416 rigby, its not big enough to kill anything.
You know I always have a little laugh inside when someone says you don't need to use that high power of a rifle.
That said you don't "need" any cartridge bigger than 243 win to kill everything in North America. You know how grossly overpowered a 30-06 is?

My point is yes you don't "need" many cartridges that are out there many people just want them.

Just for fun lets say a 30-06 is the benchmark of the perfect power and speed I would rather have a 338 Win Mag than a 243 Win to hunt any big game in this country because lets face it, shooting something and tracking it or having it run after the shot and make a longer pack job is not as nice as dropping something on the spot.

Mike
Old 03-15-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
You know I always have a little laugh inside when someone says you don't need to use that high power of a rifle.
That said you don't "need" any cartridge bigger than 243 win to kill everything in North America. You know how grossly overpowered a 30-06 is?

My point is yes you don't "need" many cartridges that are out there many people just want them.

Just for fun lets say a 30-06 is the benchmark of the perfect power and speed I would rather have a 338 Win Mag than a 243 Win to hunt any big game in this country because lets face it, shooting something and tracking it or having it run after the shot and make a longer pack job is not as nice as dropping something on the spot.

Mike
Excess is the Alberta way.
Old 03-15-2017, 10:31 AM

Smile 270 elk

I own a 338 weatherby with a muzzle brake shoots great as far as noise at range wear hearing protection its the rules they are agreat caliber.
Old 03-15-2017, 12:36 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1899b View Post
Excess is the Alberta way.
Like all that Protien eh?
Old 03-15-2017, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post
Like all that Protien eh?
Pretty much...
Old 03-15-2017, 05:23 PM

Have a look at attached link. IMHO Randy has a very sensible approach to selecting a cartridge.

Like he says, most likely what you already have!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cfd3XkHDaDA

Last edited by warriorboy10; 03-15-2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old 03-15-2017, 05:37 PM

I just had a .338 win built on my old .300 win action. I mounted it in a boyds custom walnut stock with a limb saver. I hand load 250gr Hornady interlocks with 73 gr H4831 and it kicks less than my remington longe range in.300 win mag with 180gr sst. It has a heavy bell and Carlson stock and it rocks Me more than anything in my gun case. It's all in the eye of the beholder. Each to there own.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:13 PM

If a gun fits good the felt recoil is less, my 338 win mag is a kimber Montana. It's nice to carry and the felt recoil is limited by a well fitting stock. Get what you want and who cares what the "that's too much gun internet crowd" complains about. Some people can't shoot anything but small magnums and then think everyone is just like them. I know people who think the 7 rem mag kicks too hard, they still don't feel the need to stop anyone from buying a bigger caliber like some on here. The 338 isn't a cannonball launcher, there are a lot bigger rifles out there. I have an M70 300 wsm that has more felt recoil and my 30-06 is on par with felt recoil with my 338, they both have less power in platforms that weigh more.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:22 PM

I honestly find the 338 WM easy to shoot. Mine is a sako hunter that seems to kick less than many 338 rifles(felt recoil). When I'm shooting lots I don't consider it to have heavy recoil, if I haven't been shooting much, I notice it. I load mine with 250 gr sierras but 'only' load to 2625 fps. I find it a slower recoil than a 300 Win (or WSM). Unlike bigger rifles like the 416 or bigger, or even the 375 HH, it doesn't seem to push me around and it doesn't have the fast , hard slap of the 300's. Really like it for moose/elk/bears and even shoot deer with it sometimes.
Old 03-15-2017, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robmcleod82 View Post
For elk and sheep I'd rather go 7rem mag myself. 338wm recoil isn't terrible, seems to me most 300wm kick harder than 338s never did figure out why.
x2, 7 mm is a more all around caliber for most hunters. No doubt .338 kicks more, but you've got to expect that, especially with the heavier bullets, which is the point anyway. Had the pleasure of trying a .340 Weatherby, just a .338 with a sales gimmick name,was rather disappointed.

Grizz
Old 03-15-2017, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpappy View Post
If a gun fits good the felt recoil is less, my 338 win mag is a kimber Montana. It's nice to carry and the felt recoil is limited by a well fitting stock. Get what you want and who cares what the "that's too much gun internet crowd" complains about. Some people can't shoot anything but small magnums and then think everyone is just like them. I know people who think the 7 rem mag kicks too hard, they still don't feel the need to stop anyone from buying a bigger caliber like some on here. The 338 isn't a cannonball launcher, there are a lot bigger rifles out there. I have an M70 300 wsm that has more felt recoil and my 30-06 is on par with felt recoil with my 338, they both have less power in platforms that weigh more.
Well said. If you think a .388 is too much gun, well...... nobody is forcing you to shoot one. When I am shooting off the bench I pad my shoulder with two insulated leather gloves (of all things.) I don't find it unpleasant when this is done even with multiple rounds. When I am hunting I don't worry about extra padding and am too focused on what is happening downrange to even notice or think about recoil. I have a fixed four leupold on it (therefore good eye relief) and I haven't caught a scope upside the eyebrow yet. It is accurate and I am confident in it and it is an effectice setup.
Old 03-15-2017, 08:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post

Mike
ok smart guy.........your sentence mid point agrees that you don't NEED a rifle that big. so what about my statement is wrong? the guy is asking for opinions so you lurk to be snotty when someone gives one?

do you really believe anyone needs a .338 wm to kill a SHEEP? ridicule all you want, it is not that hard to kill a sheep.

if he wants a .338 wm so he can make his nose bleed, he should get all over it.......perhaps he should just rephrase his initial question to something like:

I LIKE NOSEBLEEDS>>>>>>WILL A .338 wm SUIT MY NEEDS?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
ok smart guy.........your sentence mid point agrees that you don't NEED a rifle that big. so what about my statement is wrong? the guy is asking for opinions so you lurk to be snotty when someone gives one?

do you really believe anyone needs a .338 wm to kill a SHEEP? ridicule all you want, it is not that hard to kill a sheep.

if he wants a .338 wm so he can make his nose bleed, he should get all over it.......perhaps he should just rephrase his initial question to something like:

Never once have any of my 338's gave me a nosebleed. Curious to know what you're basing this on?
Old 03-15-2017, 08:38 PM
Banned

merely rephrasing a potential question that would make it a little different than the original question asked.....obviously asking the question he did and receiving answers that were intended to offer opinions on his question somehow got this thread off topic
Old 03-15-2017, 08:39 PM

Nosebleed? Haha I think your putting the recoil pad in the wrong spot
Old 03-15-2017, 09:45 PM

You either like recoil or you don't and you can have some 30 06 that kicks just as bad depending on the design of the rifle,noy usually the case ,but it happens,sitting at a bench with some 12 gauge,3,5 inch mags hits harder than a .338,but I know guys who shoot birds for hours and never complain,but they sit at bench and say they flinch because of the recoil,Get off that bench once dialed in and try it standing up,you will notice the difference like night and day ,plus when your all pumped up you feel very little recoil.When a 60 inch plus bull comes in on you when callen,ears dropped back,swayen from side to side ,eyes rolled back half stuck out of his head,recoil is history.
,someone could probably bust a 2x4 over your head and you won't flinch and that goes for the bull to.When I use to guide lots a guys shot .338 wins and some where not big men,plus they had good custom stocks which helped also.

Back to the op's question on choice of .338,i can tell you stay away from the sako Bavarian,that gun for some designed reason kicks like a mule even in 7mm rm,i bought 3 and there history,the sako grey wolf is a better choice and have tried it in 7mm and it was good,the best choice if you can find one is in the sako 75 stainless synthetic,for some reason that gun is recoil friendly up to a certain point ,but recoil is something that doesn't or does give you trouble,myself I don't mind the push recoil out of a .338.Jim Shockey did an article on the best cartridge for all north American big game and the winner was the.338 win mag,Jim has been around enough,so who am i to judge.

I couldn't be concerned with what others like and don't like,i wear my own kinda hat and shoot what I wish,it is what it is,no guff.Never seen no nose bleeds either,i do like the pad one in the wrong spot.

Last edited by JD848; 03-15-2017 at 10:02 PM.
Old 03-16-2017, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcpappy;3494758[B
]If a gun fits good the felt recoil is less, my 338 win mag is a kimber Montana. It's nice to carry and the felt recoil is limited by a well fitting stock. [/B]Get what you want and who cares what the "that's too much gun internet crowd" complains about. Some people can't shoot anything but small magnums and then think everyone is just like them. I know people who think the 7 rem mag kicks too hard, they still don't feel the need to stop anyone from buying a bigger caliber like some on here. The 338 isn't a cannonball launcher, there are a lot bigger rifles out there. I have an M70 300 wsm that has more felt recoil and my 30-06 is on par with felt recoil with my 338, they both have less power in platforms that weigh more.
I have had likely half a dozen Montanas. I too find them to to be the best recoil soaker-uppers out there. Just a heck of a hunting rifle.

The worst I have had is a plastic paddle stocked Ruger. I have no desire at all to shoot that in a 338.

Stock and fit, to me also, is the key.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:

My point wasn't that you were wrong in saying you don't need a .338 to kill a sheep obviously you don't. Just as so you don't need a 30-06 to kill a sheep, a 243 is plenty.

I just find it insulting when people who judge or insult others for wanting to use a large cartridge are ridiculed for "going the way of the yanks".

Just incase you were unaware large caliber guns are often used for sheep hunting because sheep naturally flee to steep terrain when injured, this often results in a large damaging fall. Thus most sheep hunters go for high shoulder shots with large caliber rifles to drop them on the spot.

Some people can simply shoot large recoiling rifles and some can't but that shouldn't mean that because someone shoots a magnum that they are an ego maniac.

I personally was given a 300 Win Mag A-bolt for my 16th birthday many years ago and besides shooting a 30-06 a couple times before that, that is what I learned to shoot. Since then I have owned a 270 Win, a 270 WSM, a couple 300 WSM's and a 300 Weatherby.

My 270 WSM has shot elk, moose and deer. Very sufficiently however I also hunt thick bush and steep terrain quite often and I'm not sure how far or if you have ever packed out a moose that ran even 100 yards in to thick, wet swampy crap or had an elk run and die in the bottom of a creek but they are not fun to pack out. Dropping an elk, moose or anything thing else for that matter where they stand diffidently has its benefit.

So yeah while I could kill everything in North America legally with a 243 win deeming everything larger excessive I have decided to "go the way of the yanks" and kill things with magnum powered rifles to make my kills a quick as possible.

I'm sorry you think I lurk to be snotty and took this so personally I realize I quoted you specifically but also note that I said whenever I hear someone say that, which is often.

Mike
Old 03-16-2017, 04:28 PM

Ok, back to the original post ...

The 338Win is a nice all-rounder. But, on the aforementioned Sako Bavarian, the felt recoil will be significantly sharper that from other listed due to the hog's-back comb design and Sako's typical lack of a good recoil pad.

I didn't notice a difference in recoil between my 375 Bavarian and a buddy's 30-06 Bavarian. The stock was pretty but unpleasant to shoot. Swapped that out quickly.

If you get yourself a 338 Bavarian, install a good Grind to Fit pad.
Old 03-16-2017, 10:17 PM

Had a Bavarian in 270 WSM. Kicked like a 338 mag. Stock design and hockey puck on its end are not a good combo.
Old 03-17-2017, 03:45 AM

Quote:

There's actually lots of threads on the best nosebleed calibers lol. Just like what is the best deer rifle and csliber, they seem to pop up every fall /sarc. I did laugh when I read that though, so thanks for that (I assume that was your intent
Old 03-19-2017, 08:34 PM

Default Hell ya

Broke the new 338 WM in today. Off the bench.. no nose bleeds. Didn't go cross eyed. Lol

But I did a shoot clean technique I like with 25 rounds over the course of the afternoon while also breaking in my new 270win.

You definately know you are shooting more than a 3006 or 300wsm. But it's manageable, and with the 225gr factories I used... I'm sure the 250gr wouldn't be that bad on the Xbolt platform. Fricken love it! Took a vid of me shooting it to send to some friends. I really don't move much. Maybe because I'm 225 pounds with broad shoulders. Lol either way I'm looking forward to finding a load for it.

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 03-19-2017 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-19-2017, 09:53 PM

If you like the .338 caliber but find the recoil a bit excessive with the .338 WM ctdge, there is always the .338-06. It's right on the heels of the .338 WM in performance and has about the same recoil as a .30-06 pushing the heavier bullet's.
Essentially it is a .30-06 on Steroids using less than 60 grs. of powder.
Downside for some is that it's a handloading proposition.
Old 03-20-2017, 04:39 AM

I've had a pair of .338 win mags. Initially I wanted a kimber Montana but couldn't find one and was worried about the recoil. One day I picked up a xbolt, loaded up some 250 grain accubonds with a few different powders and took it out to shoot. The recoil wasn't as bad as I had expected but it was significantly more then a 30-06. Not painful but the distance the rifle recoiled into me had me worried about the eye relief on my scope. A few months later I sold the rifle and went back on the hunt for a Montana. I finally found one on here after a few years of waiting and searching. I mounted a 2.5-8x36 in a set of talleys, took my 250 grain load and went out to shoot. It was significantly more pleasant to shoot then the browning even though it weighed a few pounds less.

I put a Pendleton stock on it then sent the stock back to Wayne and he rebuilt it with my specifically requested LOP. Once I find some aluminum bottom metal and get the titanium bolt knob on her I expect I'll have it around 6lbs 8oz total. I've copped a lot of flack from my hunting buddies about it being overkill but I don't care. After 20+ years of being anti magnum I'm enjoying it. Its killed everything I've pointed it at, the recoil isn't an issue, the stock design works and a sub 7lb, sledge hammer of a rifle is a joy to carry.

IME the guys pimping the small caliber rifles usually don't like or can't handle the recoil of a larger rifle... which is fine. There is no advantage to shooting a caliber that makes a man flinch, everyone is better off hitting what they're aiming at with a .243 then making a poor shot with a .375 but if a man can wield a larger hammer with the same precision, it's an advantage. Hunting isn't fly fishing, it's not a place for ultralight gear for the sake of playing games. If light gear is all your comfortable using then by all means take it out but respect its limitations.

The most abusive rifle I've ever owned or shot was a husqvarna .308. It absolutely beat me senseless and bruised my shoulder with a few rounds in a day, my properly set up (for me) .338 is gentle in comparison.