Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 02-17-2017, 04:14 PM

Default Parks Canada 2017

with the free admission to national parks and historic sites in 2017, do we still need a national park fishing license?

thanks
Old 02-17-2017, 04:33 PM

Yes! As well as a wilderness pass (and appropriate reservations) for backcountry camping!

-Confucius
Old 02-17-2017, 06:30 PM

I'm curious, how many are thinking of giving the Parks a rest this year? After all, it should be more crowded than usual. I might give the early season a try and then the fall and skip the rest.
Old 02-18-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
I'm curious, how many are thinking of giving the Parks a rest this year? After all, it should be more crowded than usual. I might give the early season a try and then the fall and skip the rest.
I am curious why everyone seems to think that free admission to the parks is going to bring in masses of new tourists. Gas to get there, accommodations, food, licenses, etc. are all much greater expenses than the relatively paltry admission cost. Although I have often made the trip from the coast to the prairies and stayed for 1 or many nights in Banff or Jasper, I never really thought of the parks permit os one of my primary expenses and the savings certainly wouldn't be enough to entice me to spend all that money to visit, unless there were other, more important, factors driving me.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by professori View Post
I am curious why everyone seems to think that free admission to the parks is going to bring in masses of new tourists. Gas to get there, accommodations, food, licenses, etc. are all much greater expenses than the relatively paltry admission cost. Although I have often made the trip from the coast to the prairies and stayed for 1 or many nights in Banff or Jasper, I never really thought of the parks permit os one of my primary expenses and the savings certainly wouldn't be enough to entice me to spend all that money to visit, unless there were other, more important, factors driving me.
People can't resist getting something for free - regardless of what it will cost!
Old 02-18-2017, 01:15 PM

It's a great marketing ploy, and unfortunately it will work.

-Confucius
Old 02-20-2017, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Luckily this isn't going i happen every year..
Old 02-20-2017, 10:48 AM

I plan to check out some parks i never been to before this year. I just hope people are respectful of the land and don't leave a mess.
Old 02-20-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Because the government in their infinite wisdom has done a massive campaign not just in Canada, but all over the world telling everyone to come. Of course Banff being the #1 attraction will be first on most peoples list. Even the town of Banff has addmitted that they are expecting thousands more people this summer and are putting a new bus service from Banff to Lake Louise and back.

Millions have been spent on this and giving away free passes is just going to increase the visitors even more. If you don't think there will be more visitors in all the national parks this summer then you can put your head in the sand and pretend it's not happening. It will be a crap show there.

I will visit the national parks this year. But it will not be in June, July or August. If you have the choice the shoulder months will be much better.
Old 02-20-2017, 05:24 PM

Well, the tourist industry won't be complaining!

But maybe the visitors will be so busy visiting the parks that the pressure on the trout streams will be less.

Or maybe many of them will be lost trying to find Kootenay Lake in the Kamloops area, eh Professori?
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post

Or maybe many of them will be lost trying to find Kootenay Lake in the Kamloops area, eh Professori?
Why I oughtta.....
Old 02-20-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bull View Post
People can't resist getting something for free - regardless of what it will cost!
This ^

Quote:
Originally Posted by ÜberFly View Post
It's a great marketing ploy, and unfortunately it will work.
Plus this ^

Plus all the marginal users that live nearby - and there is lots! You're right though, it probabably makes little difference to someone who lives in Ontario travelling to Banff. I'm with the others; I will try in the fall, maybe, maybe. There's fortunately a lot more nature in Canada than just the National Parks
Old 02-20-2017, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Why did Canada give free passes to tourists? It will mean a ton of people in the Parks for sure.
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 02-21-2017, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher View Post
Because the government in their infinite wisdom has done a massive campaign not just in Canada, but all over the world telling everyone to come.
Maybe lots of ads in Alberta, but I haven't seen a real increase yet in BC media? I doubt it's going to be that big a problem, but maybe tourism bucks are a good thing for a struggling economy??
Old 02-21-2017, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Flyguy View Post
Well, the tourist industry won't be complaining!
Well, actually, I heard a good deal of complaints from tour operators and shop owners last fall in both Waterton and Yoho parks about the impending increase in traffic. Companies that are already having a difficult time dealing with the demand for services being told to expect a 35% to 50% increase.
Old 02-21-2017, 03:40 PM

Good discussion gents. Yeah, for me the cost is nothing because I spend so much in pursuit of this passion, but I'm more leaning towards the thought that it really does to some and the marketing will seal the deal. It will be interesting to see though if it really makes a big difference or not.
Old 02-27-2017, 01:31 PM

Parks are already full in the summer anyway.. As for fishing I don't expect much change because people won't walk. Good for us !
Old 03-05-2017, 03:08 PM

Why issue passes if its free? Giant waste of money.
Old 03-05-2017, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLeod View Post
Parks are already full in the summer anyway.. As for fishing I don't expect much change because people won't walk. Good for us !
Sometimes I'm happy that people are lazy