Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 03-02-2017, 02:15 PM

Default Waders and wading boots

Hey everyone,

So I am in the market for we waders and boots for this upcoming season. I am currently rocking el cheapos and looking to get some quality gear. After a few trips to the east slopes last fall I understand the importance of quality boots and waders. So with that, what are you guys using/ have used in the past. Any and all input would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-02-2017, 04:05 PM

I too am looking to get new boots, but haven't got any yet. I had a pair of Hodgman felt soled boots that I liked and wore out, but I'm not sure what regulation changes might be coming with regards to the use of felt soles. I do most of my fishing on freestone rivers and the felt is great for getting around. I also have a cheap pair of running shoes (2 sizes larger than normal, 10 bucks from value village) that I will wear over my stocking foot waders if I'm walking other streams or rivers. Anyone know if there's changes coming?
Old 03-02-2017, 04:34 PM

I have Orvis encounter waders. They are comfortable and easy to move in, fairly affordable as well. They have developed a small leak in the crotch seam after one season which is a little bit discouraging. I will fix it with aquaseal but wish I didn't have to this early. I don't know what your budget is like but keep an eye out in cabelas bargain cave for decent boots at a good price.

cheers.
Old 03-02-2017, 07:18 PM

Simms makes good boots that will last longer than the $100 varieties.
Probably a good idea to have some boots for the Bow River and another pair for the mountains
Old 03-03-2017, 12:03 AM

I have Patagonia Gallegos waders. Only complaint is the booty... to large have to be careful putting on my boots or the neoprene will fold over on my toes causing really sore toes at the end of the day.

Simms G3s for boots. I put lots of miles on so I need the support and durability. I think they're 7 years old and I resoled them last season. Probably get this year and maybe next year out of them.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:41 AM

simms g3 guide boots, simms waders. pay the few extra bucks it will pay itself off 10 fold in the end
Old 03-03-2017, 11:02 AM

I've gone away from waders. Seams I always get a pin hole somehow and I end up wet anyways. I now wear neoprene socks and pants under my regular clothes and I stay warm plus it only costs about $40. I will never buy another pair of waders again
Old 03-03-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
I've gone away from waders. Seams I always get a pin hole somehow and I end up wet anyways. I now wear neoprene socks and pants under my regular clothes and I stay warm plus it only costs about $40. I will never buy another pair of waders again
That's great if your a fair weather fisherman, doesn't work for everyone though.

I'd say spend the extra coin if you can and go with Simms.
Old 03-03-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angery jonn View Post
That's great if your a fair weather fisherman, doesn't work for everyone though.

I'd say spend the extra coin if you can and go with Simms.
Not if they are thick enough. I go as soon as the ice is off and I'm comfortable and I hate being cold
Old 03-03-2017, 03:55 PM

http://www.cabelas.com/product/footw...Tz_stype%3DGNU

thats what i got...talked to others....they have them for years...say they are still going......but....its ur call
Old 03-03-2017, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
You wear pants outside of neoprene pants in the water?
Old 03-03-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lannie View Post
You wear pants outside of neoprene pants in the water?
Ya it protects the neoprene when I'm kneeling on rocks and stuff.
Old 03-03-2017, 10:53 PM

I love my pair of Patagonia waders, they're comfortable, the booties fit perfect, and they have a good range of motion. They kept me toasty on the Bow a few weeks ago and are convertible for the summer.
Old 03-04-2017, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goose slayer10 View Post
I have Orvis encounter waders. They are comfortable and easy to move in, fairly affordable as well. They have developed a small leak in the crotch seam after one season which is a little bit discouraging. I will fix it with aquaseal but wish I didn't have to this early. I don't know what your budget is like but keep an eye out in cabelas bargain cave for decent boots at a good price.

cheers.
I got the Encounter waders last year for Christmas (2015). They seem to be holding up well after a year on the water, and I think will be fine for someone like me who does 20'ish days annually. The Simms and Patagonia stuff is nice, but a whole different price point.

slayer, I'd contact Orvis if you have a leak in the first year... "waders that fail due to manufacturing issues or defects will be repaired, replaced or refunded, at Orvis's discretion, free of charge", says their website. I've heard very good things about their warranty service.

Last edited by jgib01; 03-04-2017 at 10:22 AM.
Old 03-08-2017, 04:35 PM

Patagonia Rio Gallegos buy once cry once
Old 03-09-2017, 12:18 AM

Don't cheap out on boots. I love my korkers Whitehorse I put three hell out here
They have great support this pair 16 months old I go out 2-4 times a week
Waders cheap ones don't last out here I use 5 layers vision just as good as Simms but less cost
Old 03-10-2017, 07:46 PM

The silver sonic guide waders are tough waders but can't say the same for the original silver sonic waders.

The cheapest and best waders go to caddis hands down for $80 they lasted me over 5 years