Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A-Baum View Post
This thread is painting an opposite picture.

I'm sorry but that's really poor logic, and it's flat out false. These petty criminals are doing what they do because it's easy pickings, and they know the threat of gun/violence against them during these robberies is extremely low because the law favors THEM, not the property owner. There is little to no fear of getting laid out with a couple rounds of buck shot. That, along with knowing that the police are an hour away makes for some ripe targets for them.

I GUARANTEE you if these criminals feared they might get shot the next time they are rooting around a garage, your crime rate would drastically plummet overnight. They would NOT show up to rob your garage with an AK-47 slung over their shoulder. They aren't interested in violence, they are interested in easy pickings. An armed property owner is not easy pickings and they wouldn't risk their lives or have any desire to get into a gunfight over some tools, lawn equipment, or even a vehicle.

Look south of your border in Idaho and Montana to demonstrate what I'm talking about and why you're wrong. Everyone is armed there. Criminals aren't showing up with automatic rifles to steal stuff. They just aren't showing up because they fear getting shot.
While I agree, there is "no fear" of retaliation, the problem is the system, the majority of these people are repeat offenders.

re:escalating... I beg to differ.. There's already been many cases where the "petty" thief was waving a gun at the homeowner, as the homeowner attempted to confront the thief, right here in our own backyard (ie. alberta). That right there is an indication, that most of these people are not "petty" thieves, they are much more connected (and desperate) than you think.

(you might want to go check out the crime rate in montana and idaho, it's much higher than here)..

Besides, all a thief has to do, is wait til you leave.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Sounds like it is getting bad. To me it sounds like a lot of good people will be put in jail for protecting their homes in the future too......Wish I could here more positive stories about policing in these circumstances but you sure never do. All you hear about is the guy that went out to confront the bad guy and things go south. Then the cops show up an hr later.....How can there not be a cop available for that long? Do the cops not call in extra personel when things get busy?
When the local auto dealership was broken into in the city that I used to live in, the thieves had time to go through the keys in the key drop, match them to vehicles, and choose the vehicles with full or near full tanks, before driving away with two of them. The RCMP detachment was down the street about 300 yards away, and the first officer reached the dealership more than 20 minutes after the alarm went off, and the manager called the RCMP to report the break in. So if it takes that long for an officer to react to a break in only 300 yards away, how long will it take to respond to a break in several miles away? So it's not surprising that the victims decide to confront the thieves , knowing that the police will not arrive until the thieves are long since gone.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 AM

They cleaned out an acreage and a farm just west of my place (4mi) on Saturday night. Smashed into 2 Quonset s litterly stole anything not bolted down , except the loader tractor.
They got various tools and generators, an old 100 cc Honda street bike restored, 70's era Harley, and a late model Harley. I'm not sure of what else. Pretty brazen!
We're going to get a rural crime watch set up.
Dirt bags are using stolen vehicles so even plate numbers and camera footage is useless.
Did I spell that right. RCMP=Useless sometimes in mix them up.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:18 AM

3 guys caught, facing 88 charges in central alberta. would be interesting to see if they do any real time.

I can find links but don't know how to put them up.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:26 AM

I believe that if two police officers were to respond to an active B&E, the response would be quicker. One member responding would feel uncomfortable arriving at an active B&E in the country, at night, by Him/herself without backup close at hand. As a result, slow response, hoping the culprits are gone when they arrive.

Not to say that police are chicken but, who would want to go to an active B&E by themselves after dark to an area where backup is several miles away?

With Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry being the exception.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:30 AM

Claystone, its a simple copy/paste operation. Go to the link, put your cursor arrow on the link, right click.....link should turn blue and you will get a drop down box....select copy. Then come back here, put your arrow in your message box, right click. Box will open, now select paste. And its done !!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM

https://i.cbc.ca/1.3610847.147974783...mp-cruiser.jpg
well that didnt work link is on cbc news
Old 03-21-2017, 08:45 AM

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...rcmp-1.4033627
Old 03-21-2017, 08:49 AM
Gone Hunting

Looks like the gestapo are parked at Timmies, probably busy stuffing doughnuts into the doughnut hole and slobbering down their 3rd or 4th cup of coffee. A call out might cut into their valuable bs time!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
Why doesn't this article name the vermin ??
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
Looks like the gestapo are parked at Timmies, probably busy stuffing doughnuts into the doughnut hole and slobbering down their 3rd or 4th cup of coffee. A call out might cut into their valuable bs time!!!
Because you don't ever take a lunch/coffee break..
Old 03-21-2017, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
Maybe they're respected members of society? lol..
That is weird, especially since they know the age.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:08 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Because you don't ever take a lunch/coffee break..
No, I did not. I drank my coffee & ate my lunch on the go, because I was the owner of the business.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Unhappy Yup

Our area is the same, seems to come in waves though, once the *****s get resistance they move into another area.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:19 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
And what is wrong with going too far if you catch someone breaking into your house/ threatening your family or stealing your stuff?
Why can't we take it as far as we want it too without a problem from the law?
i bet we wouldn't have half the crime we have if we could beat someone into a pulp legally if caught stealing stuff. You don't have these types of issues in some other coutries were they take stealing seriously and punish to the max. Heck some asian countries you can get thrown in jail and beat down for litering....
Agree but some of us can't even waddle down a flight of stairs so better to barricade, call 911 and point the shotty....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opa View Post
No, I did not. I drank my coffee & ate my lunch on the go, because I was the owner of the business.
sure.. And I'm sure you never met a client for a "client lunch"..

And I bet you've dealt with life threatening situations/seeing dead bodies/ accident scenes on a daily basis.

until you've walked a mile in their shoes..
Old 03-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Sounds like it is getting bad. To me it sounds like a lot of good people will be put in jail for protecting their homes in the future too......Wish I could here more positive stories about policing in these circumstances but you sure never do. All you hear about is the guy that went out to confront the bad guy and things go south. Then the cops show up an hr later.....How can there not be a cop available for that long? Do the cops not call in extra personel when things get busy?
The RCMP are extremely underfunded and under staffed.Often a detachment might only have four members to cover a huge area.
Canada needs a castle doctrine.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:00 AM

One another forum i posted the rise in my auto insurance policy that took a hike this year for "Fire & Theft.

I've never had an accident in all my years, and pecker heads stolen one of our snowmobiles back in 2004/5 if I recall. Insurance paid it out.

So this year with all the stolen autos, bikes, ohvs and other things our rates are going up.

Example is :

F&T on 2 trucks and quad last year was $400 ish too cover them all, the rate now jumped to $900 ish for this year... Just the F&T part.

So I went too auto shop, bought battery disconnects and hidden ECU disconcerting devices too install on all 3 units, then cancelled the F&T part of my insurance policy.

It was nice too have over the many years, but not at a $500 increase, nor have I had a claim too cause this hike.

I'm hoping for the best as I and hopefully many of us that now live lives with the lock & key.

Sad that the system let all of us down as we work hard for what we have. All of us wish the system was better, but it just isn't so.

Crime rate is threw the roof in our area as well as the whole Province, Canada and the USA.

I have no answers as its up to us too do what we have too do in changing times.

Don at hoping for the best for me and others as we learn more on how too secure what we own.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:05 AM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=JB_AOL;3499219] sure.. And I'm sure you never met a client for a "client lunch"..

And I bet you've dealt with life threatening situations/seeing dead bodies/ accident scenes on a daily basis.

until you've walked a mile in their shoes..[/QUOTE

I worked in a good sized rural community not all that far from a city, and got to know the cops. They had their coffee & whatever on the go. Rural break-ins were non-existent!!!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
This article does: http://www.canadapolicereport.ca/201...ional-charges/
Old 03-21-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conky View Post
46-year-old William Wilkie, of Innisfail, 51-year-old William Gladue and 26-year-old Miles Appenrodt, both of Red Deer,

Now google will find this thread when their names are noted.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
Because we are a "civilized" developed country.

While yes, it "seems" like violence would reduce the instances of minor crimes, it would actually increase the potential for serious injury. Why? Because now the criminals would come with an arsenal to steal your stuff. Result? You'd be dead.

And are you really comparing Canada to third world/communist/etc countries. lol..

Oh.. And one quick incident, a coworker of mine from the philipines, his household was robbed while they were inside, there was 15 of his family members sleeping in various rooms in a small house (~800sqft), the criminals pumped the house full of some sort of sleeping gas. Robbed the place of everything, oh just like most families, they had various "hidden" spots with savings, all gone. Is that really the type of society you want to create?
Now there is a Liberal way of thinking! Get some junk between your legs bud! Did you vote for our great leader out East too? Lot sof ways to protect yourself and standing there with a wooden spoon to spank them is not going to work well.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Just something to remember here guys that I just thought of. We joke all the time at work about it but it is true. If you have a break and enter and you call 911 state your house is on fire. I bet you get someone there in under 8 min and I can promise you if the Fire Dept shows up and sees a need for the cops they will be there within minutes as well. Sad truth and seen it before...
Old 03-21-2017, 10:38 AM

Lock it up, keep it put away, install lights and alarms if possible. Make it tough for the freeloaders.
I am not saying bars on all the windows and doors of the house (yet) but keys in ignition and sleds sitting outside invite losers.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
Just something to remember here guys that I just thought of. We joke all the time at work about it but it is true. If you have a break and enter and you call 911 state your house is on fire. I bet you get someone there in under 8 min and I can promise you if the Fire Dept shows up and sees a need for the cops they will be there within minutes as well. Sad truth and seen it before...
No repercusions for phoning in a false alarm? I think the caller would get more attention than bargained for.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Now there is a Liberal way of thinking! Get some junk between your legs bud! Did you vote for our great leader out East too? Lot sof ways to protect yourself and standing there with a wooden spoon to spank them is not going to work well.
SIGH... Got plenty between the legs.. Also got something between the ears (maybe you should try using yours!!).

Yes.. Let's bring the politics into this..

If you're willing to abandon your family because of some possessions.. have at 'er..

I do everything in my power to make sure I am not a target for thieves..

But hey.. Type on.. Keyboard warrior..
Old 03-21-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Yep.. there's a brilliant idea.. Pull other services away..

You could simply say on the phone "I saw a gun".

(those mice must be sleeping on the wheel today nube..).
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
I've seen a lot of stupid things written on this forum before, but this ranks near the top.
To much fail in it to respond further.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:52 AM

Policing Rural areas is problematic. County Councils overwhelmingly do not support 24-hour RCMP detachments. This is a cost issue as 24-hour policing costs considerably more than 18- or 20- hour police schedules, which are the norm.

After-hours are supported by "on-call" officers. Obviously, calling out an off-duty officer creates a huge lag in response time. Also, obviously, criminals are aware of this response gap which can be significant given the called-out officer has to gear-up, possibly return to the detachment, and then drive to the occurance location.

If your local Rural detachment also has a Municipal contract you may count yourself lucky as Municipal contracted officers will usually respond on behalf of Rural contracted officers to prevent said call-outs, assuming they are not busy within Town.

Canadians generally have no realistic concept of what real security costs. Just look to Americans or Israelis for examples of what we should be supporting.

-Willy
Old 03-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conky View Post
The younger guy has Facebook. Miles appenrodt from red deer