Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-22-2017, 12:15 PM

They aren't the brightest bunch for sure. Left the keys in the old dodge, door unlocked and they still couldn't get into it. It's gotten so bad that I've taken to placing stuff out in plane sight to see who's taking. Quite disappointing when your neighbours shows up on the camera tho. We have quite an album of suspects, all hd video and large mp files that may be useful to police sometime down the road if they are apprehended for another crime.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB_AOL View Post
^^this.. you do realize that criminals are opportunistic, right?

NVM.. Just keep leaving stuff unlocked/easy pickens..

That way I don't have to worry about people stealing my locked stuff..

Locks are for honest people. If a guy knows you have something worth his while or can see it through a window, or if you live in the country with no one around to watch or even with cameras, a hoody will hide a face, a stolen plate, or no plate or a piece of tape over it will steal from you.

The deterrent is a good stiff penalty, something that reminds these azzhats every day; like a missing hand! Cut the hand off of a few thief's and it shouldn't take long for the wanna be thief to question the value of stealing.

And the idiot with the missing hand should learn his lesson, if not then no hands for you!

BW
Old 03-22-2017, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honda610 View Post
I think a progressive discipline approach would work. First offence over 16 ( because the bleeding hearts would say 14 is to young) 30 days hard labour. Any damage caused by commission of the offence would be added on top until payed off. Second offence 4 months on the highways picking garbage in black coveralls chained to another idiot. If they don't respond well to work, off to the Yukon to pick garbage in black fly season. 3 offence 5 years hard labour I'm sure we could find some old camp grounds in alberta needing re building fire wood cutting etc. Can't. Forget all the Atv trails needing restoration or bridges....the list goes on. But it's a pipe dream because to many people have soft spots for.low life little johnny scum who steal from hard working people.
In theory it sounds like a good idea, and I personally would be for it as I'm sure those who are forced to work all day will have less of a desire to go back to prison over someone who sits around in a cell all day shootin' the crap with other thugs, but the issue is bleeding hearts and HR commissions would be screaming bloody murder that it's essentially slavery.

Some days I think back to that movie Holes and think that maybe the idea in that movie actually was an interesting idea for youth crime punishment.

Quote:
You take a bad boy, make him dig holes all day in the hot sun, it turns him into a good boy. That's our philosophy here at camp green lake.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigwoodsman View Post
[/B]

Locks are for honest people. If a guy knows you have something worth his while or can see it through a window, or if you live in the country with no one around to watch or even with cameras, a hoody will hide a face, a stolen plate, or no plate or a piece of tape over it will steal from you.

The deterrent is a good stiff penalty, something that reminds these azzhats every day; like a missing hand! Cut the hand off of a few thief's and it shouldn't take long for the wanna be thief to question the value of stealing.

And the idiot with the missing hand should learn his lesson, if not then no hands for you!

BW
No kidding, they will only do it twice. I prefer the off with the head approach, but some say that is going too far.

'he was such a good boy, he was turning his life around, society is to blame'

zip thunk done
Old 03-22-2017, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
No kidding, they will only do it twice. I prefer the off with the head approach, but some say that is going too far.

zip thunk done
I pretty sure if I was in a mall sitting at a food fair with my daughter and she saw someone with out a hand and explained to her why, she'd get the message pretty straight and clear that shoplifting/stealing/robing results in you losing your hand. She would steer herself down the straight and narrow path. Not that I'm worried about her.

But if others saw that someone has lost a hand for a theft, or read it in the paper or see him or her walking the streets they'd get the message. I'm also pretty sure that after a few of these hand-ectomy's there would be a sharp decrease in theft of property in our society!

bw
Old 03-22-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
[/B]

BW
Completely agree.. But the majority of these thefts are from unlocked property.

That's also why I have alarms/cameras/locks, amongst other things..

The system definitely needs to be revamped.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Completely agree.. But the majority of these thefts are from unlocked property.

That's also why I have alarms/cameras/locks, amongst other things..

The system definitely needs to be revamped.
Yup, as a citizen we can only do so much to protect our property. If a thief wants something he or she will take it no matter how many locks, cameras, etc. In fact if they want it bad enough they'll kill you for it, if you try to stop them. Some of these guys are brutal and aren't necessarily just hooked on dope, and stealing to satisfy a fix.

BW
Old 03-22-2017, 04:08 PM

Quote:
..... the majority of these thefts are from unlocked property.
True fact, I followed a set of tracks that wandered through our hood and it became evident that they were looking for open vehicles or open garage doors. They are not risking making any noise by breaking a window or door. Last chap caught on camera was tiptoeing in the crusty snow to avoid alarming the ears of the security pooch.
Old 03-22-2017, 04:20 PM

Had a friend have his welding cables stolen from his truck in the back Alley. Was winter. Followed the cable drag marks to a garage about 5 houses down. Phoned cops they came out and check out the trail he left right into his garage. Told buddy they need a search warrant. 3 days pass no word. Gathered up some buddies and paid him a visit. Cables were already gone but we had some fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-22-2017, 04:30 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post

zip thunk done
Do you think women should be allowed to drive? Is it the sharia full meal deal or a la carte menu?

I have trouble following your thinking. chop a thief's head off but deny a law abiding citizen the right to carry a handgun for protection?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-22-2017, 07:12 PM
Banned

http://www.wildrosecaucus.ca/crime-task-force/

Got this in an email today. Let yourself be heard.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:30 PM
Banned

Where did the old adage "if it ain't yours don't touch it" get lost??
Old 03-22-2017, 08:17 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzukisam View Post
Stay out of trouble use the Ralf Klein method ( shoot shovel and shut-up )
Hell ya best method ever!! Man i miss the KING KLEIN
Old 03-23-2017, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
Do you think women should be allowed to drive? Is it the sharia full meal deal or a la carte menu?

I have trouble following your thinking. chop a thief's head off but deny a law abiding citizen the right to carry a handgun for protection?
Become a law enforcement officer. You want the perks without the responsibility or liability. Let the professionals do the job as they are trained while you hide behind the safety of your keyboard and yell at people.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
And what is wrong with going too far if you catch someone breaking into your house/ threatening your family or stealing your stuff?
Why can't we take it as far as we want it too without a problem from the law?
i bet we wouldn't have half the crime we have if we could beat someone into a pulp legally if caught stealing stuff. You don't have these types of issues in some other coutries were they take stealing seriously and punish to the max. Heck some asian countries you can get thrown in jail and beat down for litering....
I agree 100%. If we were permitted to defend our own property without being charged and turned into a criminal for doing so, there would be a lot less crime! If someone breaks into my property and I shoot him, I'm the bad guy even though I was just minding my own business, the problem is that criminals are not responsible for breaking the law anymore, we are expected to be sheep and simply allow the coyotes to pick away at us and do nothing about it! One guy got a wake up call when he broke into my house at 1am, I popped a warning shot over his head as he was running away! He got the message and never came back. My aunt had a gentleman in a balaclava knock on her door and when she opened it he pepper sprayed her in the face! She screamed and her husband came to see what was up and the fellow ran off, I guess he thought she was home alone, but when he realized that she wasn't, he took off.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:52 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post

Because in Ken's mind, protecting his material possessions are more important than your right to protect your life. He's okay with someone getting their head cut off for stealing someone's material possession though.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fargineyesore View Post
Because in Ken's mind, protecting his material possessions are more important than your right to protect your life. He's okay with someone getting their head cut off for stealing someone's material possession though.
Boy redfog you are on fire today! Triple header!!! New trolling record for AO fish out of water contest 2017!!!!

First- stop putting your thoughts behind my name.
Red has no immediate threat, he is like the other aging cowboy's and mall ninja wannabees that watch too much tv, living in a paranoid state.
THE BAD GUYS AREN'T REAL, IT IS JUST A MOVIE ON THE MAGIC MOVING SCREEN!
Second- I was kidding. You guys sure are good at taking everything literally when it supports your agenda.

All this because I said there are thefts, lock your stuff up?

You guys need lives lol! Get outside! Nobody is going to jump you and steal your prized posessions.

I think you should try some Zyprexa, or Clozapine may take the edge off, And it is legal! Talk to your doctor if you continue to have symptoms of paranoia, depression, inability to sleep, irrational thoughts of bad people breaking into your apartment or farmhouse.
Lay off the weed guys, you are getting worse daily.
You don't have to worry about drones and your 'crops' until spring
Old 03-23-2017, 11:32 AM
Banned

Ok Ken, whatever you say.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:37 PM

Girls, girls, girls!
Am I going to have to separate you?
I generally try to mind my own business but this nattering is getting out of hand.
Ken is a respected poster who pulls no punches with his opinion. Good.
I disagree his feelings about civilian carry. Good
We both have opinions. Good

Stop whining and bitching about someone else's opinion and stop trying to dictate what others can and cannot do.

JB you are evidently a Liberal/NDP feel good, coddle criminal type who feels that we shouldn't be allowed to keep the property we earned if someone else wants to take it by theft. Good. you have an opinion.
I think you are very wrong on all accounts. Good. I have an opinion.

I personally feel that something needs to be done and a form of Castle Law should be allowed. Thievery is getting out of hand and there is little or no punishment. That is called Negative Reinforcement and usually leads to a gradual escalation of the offences as the offender becomes bolder.

Do I think my stuff is worth someone's life, not really.
Why does the thief think his life is worth less than what I earned?
My defending my family and/or property would harm no-one but someone breaking the Law.
Really, it's the choice of the offender to be safe or potentially be put in harms way. If injured, show them the sympathy they feel for those they steal from.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:50 PM

So if a fellow is defending his property or family from a thief or burglar, and gets hurt or killed in the confrontation, the thief can now be charged with theft, burglary, assault and or murder!

You have to ask yourself this question, do you want to continue to be ripped off or burglarized, or do you want to defend your property?

I don't think anyone of us want to use reasonable force to defend our property, but at the same time the punishment for doing so is insufficient to act as a deterrent for life long criminals, or those on the periphery looking for a career in the crime industry.

Slapping these criminals on the wrist does SFA to help the situation. Try a guillotine to the wrist and I betcha we see a change in behavior quickly.

Luckily we don't cut the hands off of those who state opinions different then the ones we share, by using a keyboard!

BW

Last edited by Bigwoodsman; 03-23-2017 at 01:01 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
Girls, girls, girls!
Am I going to have to separate you?
And halt a good bun fight? Are you mad?? These things are like 90% of the draw to this place!
Old 03-23-2017, 01:01 PM

Another part of the problem is the people that purchase questionable items.
Do people not realise by doing so it just increases the demand for thieves to go get more. If they can't move the stuff they steal there would be no profit for them. IMHO
Old 03-23-2017, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLeahy View Post
Where did the old adage "if it ain't yours don't touch it" get lost??
Somewhere in the millennial all about me generation. Just guessing.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colin455 View Post
JB you are evidently a Liberal/NDP feel good, coddle criminal type who feels that we shouldn't be allowed to keep the property we earned if someone else wants to take it by theft. Good. you have an opinion.
I think you are very wrong on all accounts. Good. I have an opinion.
And once again.. We have someone that doesn't actually comprehend what they are reading, and decides to bring politics into the mix (do you even know what politics is?).. Must be a millennial.. oh wait.. nope, must be a senior who blames everything on the ndp, even though the system was broken pre-ndp.

Did I ever say "we shouldn't be allowed to keep our property?" Nope.. there's that darn reading thing again..

I've just got common sense, I bought my stuff, I like my stuff, I lock my **** up. I know Colin.. it's a hard concept to grasp.. .. But I can't put it any simpler.
Oh, and if it gets stolen.. That's what insurance is for.

Frankly there are too many idiots in this country (take that how you will), to allow castle law. Most of the camo-wearing keyboard warriors here would end up shooting themselves in the foot (literally) under the stress of a person on person armed confrontation.

Better Punishment (colin get your thinking glasses on) is what is required. The SYSTEM is broken. LEO's know who 99.9% of these criminals are, they get arrested numerous times, and are "punished" numerous times. Now punished means, slapped on the wrist and maybe spend a day in jail.

Imagine you're the LEO, who keeps arresting the same person over and over again, only to see that person committing the same crime the next day. Gets tiresome doesn't it. I've got many friends and family who are LEO's, I get the real stories all the time..

Now, if you were talking personal safety (check thread title), as in someone threatening my or my family's life.. That is a different story, and once again.. The laws need to change. but that is also a different topic, as (stay with me Colin), this is about theft.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by super7mag View Post
Somewhere in the millennial all about me generation. Just guessing.
I'm afraid it's not that simple.. Guess who raised those millennials?
Old 03-23-2017, 01:29 PM

Quote:
So if a fellow is defending his property or family from a thief or burglar, and gets hurt or killed in the confrontation, the thief can now be charged with theft, burglary, assault and or murder!

You have to ask yourself this question, do you want to continue to be ripped off or burglarized, or do you want to defend your property?

I don't think anyone of us want to use reasonable force to defend our property, but at the same time the punishment for doing so is insufficient to act as a deterrent for life long criminals, or those on the periphery looking for a career in the crime industry.

Slapping these criminals on the wrist does SFA to help the situation. Try a guillotine to the wrist and I betcha we see a change in behavior quickly.

Luckily we don't cut the hands off of those who state opinions different then the ones we share, by using a keyboard!

BW

Exactly.. That's the problem.. Fix the issue at the root of the cause.. Increase the punishment. Make it so they are scared to go to jail because of stealing. Letting the public take it into their own hands would be a large step away from what makes our country awesome.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:36 PM

Quote:
I'm afraid it's not that simple.. Guess who raised those millennials?
True story!! And I have heard it many times, I don't want so and so to have the hardships or work like I had to to get ahead!! Ya well that's why you have character if you coddle and baby and pave the way when it's time to step up it easier to choose grand theft auto lifestyle rather then getting up at 6 and going to work.
My opinion anyway .
I bought my house , I bought my stuff , if your in a bind I have no problem helping out. If you think you deserve my stuff because I have it and you don't , you might be eating breakfast thru a straw for a few weeks!! ( by you I mean theives not U personally) I think it's high time we get a castle law , because home owners are not the ones out looking for trouble. We should be able to defend our property and home by any means necessary in a given circumstance.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Exactly.. That's the problem.. Fix the issue at the root of the cause.. Increase the punishment. Make it so they are scared to go to jail because of stealing. Letting the public take it into their own hands would be a large step away from what makes our country awesome.
Why pay for them to go to jail, prisoners are expensive. Chop their hand off and let them free. They'll learn more from that then from going to jail! Some of these clowns want to go to jail or back to jail.

BW
Old 03-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Why pay for them to go to jail, prisoners are expensive. Chop their hand off and let them free. They'll learn more from that then from going to jail! Some of these clowns want to go to jail or back to jail.

BW
Like I said the whole system is broken.. that means, laws/jails/etc.

Should someone who breaks the law have better quality of life in "jail" than alot of our elderly? Do you know that there is criminals who will commit a crime so they "can" go to jail over the winter months. Yep, nice cushy bed/tv/meals/etc.

I agree prisoners are expensive.. they shouldn't be. Send them to somewhere they don't want to go. Make them work for their stay (hard, manual labor), place the jail in northern Nunavut, and make them sleep on a concrete bed.

Fix the problem at the root.

Castle law won't fix much (long term), as criminals will just change their ways, basically, wait til the homeowners leave, then steal your ****.

Bringing in castle law is a short term bandaid, but it won't fix the actual problem.
Old 03-23-2017, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Castle law won't fix much (long term), as criminals will just change their ways, basically, wait til the homeowners leave, then steal your ****.

Bringing in castle law is a short term bandaid, but it won't fix the actual problem.
I disagree, take someones hand for stealing or being in possession of stolen property and you will reduce the theft rate.

If they cut the hands off of those who steal or were caught in possession of stolen property, crime rates would drop. I don't think you could ever eliminate theft, but you sure as hell can reduce the rate of it.

I wonder what the theft rate is in places like Saudi Arabia. I'm sure some internet wizard will be able to figure it out.

BW