Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-21-2017, 09:38 AM

Default Torqu drivers question

Hey guys I have been wanting to pick up a torque driver for scope mounting and a few other things. Is there other options out there other than a $90.00 wheeler driver from the sports shop?
Thanks
Old 03-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Many options. I have a Snap-On Torqometer....goes to 75 inch-pounds.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:29 PM

There are many options, but most actually cost more than the Fat Wrench.
Old 03-21-2017, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
There are many options, but most actually cost more than the Fat Wrench.
X2. My torque screwdriver was around $300 quite a few years ago, so $90 isn't that bad
Old 03-21-2017, 12:58 PM

If you don't need a Fat Wrench right away, watch WSS or Cabelas - they regularly come up on sale at a substantially reduced price.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
If you don't need a Fat Wrench right away, watch WSS or Cabelas - they regularly come up on sale at a substantially reduced price.
You can not go wrong with the Wheeler FW! It looks funny as all heck and would appear to come from a play school tool kit but as far as price per calibration/accuracy , you are getting great bang for your buck$$!! I use very expensive Qwrenches at work. Their accuracy has to be checked every time they are used against a master scale. Took the F/Wrench in to work and checked its accuracy, its as good as or better than, any of the top line Qwrenches we use.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
You can not go wrong with the Wheeler FW! It looks funny as all heck and would appear to come from a play school tool kit but as far as price per calibration/accuracy , you are getting great bang for your buck$$!! I use very expensive Qwrenches at work. Their accuracy has to be checked every time they are used against a master scale. Took the F/Wrench in to work and checked its accuracy, its as good as or better than, any of the top line Qwrenches we use.
That's very good to hear! I like the Fat Wrench because it's compact & easy to use, but have wondered from time to time about accuracy. This certainly sets that to rest.

One thing about the FW worth mentioning here (generally, not to you specifically GunnerySgtJackson) is that the instructions by the manufacturer advise you to ensure it clicks three times, after which the fastener is fully torqued to the specified setting.
Old 03-21-2017, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alephnaught View Post
That's very good to hear! I like the Fat Wrench because it's compact & easy to use, but have wondered from time to time about accuracy. This certainly sets that to rest.

One thing about the FW worth mentioning here (generally, not to you specifically GunnerySgtJackson) is that the instructions by the manufacturer advise you to ensure it clicks three times, after which the fastener is fully torqued to the specified setting.
Take note, using a Torque screwdriver as opposed to a torque wrench, because you do not have the leverage of a Qwrench it feels you are putting excessive torque on the fastener as compared to using a Qwrench.
Ensure you bring the torque values up in increaments on your rings and follow a circle or figure 8 pattern unless otherwise specified by the mount manufacturer. I usually torque up in values of 5.0 in/lbs.

I work on Heavy Helicopters and all our final torques require hitting required torque three times.
Remember to reset your device back to zero when finished using.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerySgtJackson View Post
Take note, using a Torque screwdriver as opposed to a torque wrench, because you do not have the leverage of a Qwrench it feels you are putting excessive torque on the fastener as compared to using a Qwrench.
Ensure you bring the torque values up in increaments on your rings and follow a circle or figure 8 pattern unless otherwise specified by the mount manufacturer. I usually torque up in values of 5.0 in/lbs.

I work on Heavy Helicopters and all our final torques require hitting required torque three times.
Remember to reset your device back to zero when finished using.
I do the same, which I was also taught in the CAF.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:41 PM

princess auto sells an 20-200 inch pounds wrench, $40

https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ch/A-p2922045e
Old 03-21-2017, 05:16 PM
Gone Hunting

Wheeler also makes a digital FAT wrench, digital readout, audible sound at set point. It is also slightly higher limit then the regular FAT wrench.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:34 PM

Torque wrench is ok for action screws , a torque driver works for ring and base screws.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 PM

Thanks guys, great info as usual. I have looked into them on the net and they are $200+ for the driver. I don't want to spend that much for a tool I will not be using often. I have a 1/2 inch torque wrench but it can't be used for small poundage.
I'll watch for the Fat W to come on sale.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fps plus View Post
Torque wrench is ok for action screws , a torque driver works for ring and base screws.
Interesting you bring that up. Refining the torque of the action screws can be a final fine-tuning step in dialing in an accuracy load. Here's a article from Accurate Shooter on it, coming from the specific application to Savage rifles but the process should generally apply.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/
Old 03-21-2017, 06:56 PM

Weaver makes a really good one. It's identical to my old Borka wrench that's no longer offered.
Old 03-21-2017, 07:01 PM

When I needed a tool capable of measuring rolling torque of tapered roller bearings for adjusting bearing pre-load, all that was commonly available was micrometer 'click type' wrenches which do not measure continuous rolling torque.
I had an industrial tool supplier special order a classic 'beam style' torque wrench wrench.

It is a K-D Tools # 2955, and measures 0-60 in/lbs torque with a 1/4" drive, IIRC it was ~$30
(which I thought was very expensive for this type of wrench).
It works very well for ring and mount screws, and provides excellent 'feel' of increasing torque and tightness.

https://www.toolsource.com/bending-b...2-p-71321.html
https://www.walmart.com/ip/KD-Tools-...rench/23145219
overpriced
https://www.amazon.ca/GearWrench-295.../dp/B00004SQ3B
similar tool
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00SNICDJC/...d_i=B00004SQ3B

Good Luck, YMMV.

Last edited by qwert; 03-21-2017 at 07:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:26 AM

https://www.princessauto.com/en/b/wo...nches/N-i0zerh

All kinds of small ones for not a lot of money.

I like this one, $49.99, but I also have a Wheeler and it works great too.

Old 03-22-2017, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyksta View Post
princess auto sells an 20-200 inch pounds wrench, $40
https://www.princessauto.com/en/deta...ch/A-p2922045e
This and many similar torque wrenches have a rated range of 20-200 in/lbs and a rated accuracy of +-4%.
IMHE most measuring tools function best near the center of their rated range, and less well or accurately at both ends of their rated range.
In the case of micrometer 'click type' torque wrenches both the feel and accuracy at the minimum setting does not give me much confidence.
The quality control of most inexpensive China tooling is questionable at best. Is the rated accuracy measured at the maximum rated capacity? or is the +- 8 in/lbs the permissible variability at the minimum setting?
Most scope ring and mount screws are rated for <30 in/lbs and many are <20 in/lbs. A +- 8 in/lb accuracy on a 20 in/lb screw is a lot less than acceptable, (I consider my trained and experienced hands to be better than that).
All micrometer 'click type' torque tools (including very expensive ones) have several moving parts, and can suffer problems caused by poor quality manufacture and alignment, in addition to those of wear and lubrication.

Bending 'beam type' torque tools are very simple to manufacture, and have no moving or sliding part interfaces to be affected by alignment, wear or lubrication.
They are very visual and provide excellent feel and indication of nearness to intended torque.
They are VERY repeatable and accuracy is largely dependent on proper and consistent hand/finger position and force vector.
They are also cheaper and IMHE, MUCH more versatile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I note that this wrench does not even provide a +- rating for accuracy.

'Click type' torque wrenches excel in high volume and speed applications, and tolerate rougher handling.
(I have several, and like them very much, in their proper application).

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 03-22-2017, 01:12 PM

I use a Mastercraft inch pounds torque ratchet that I bought at CT for around $50 iirc??
Old 03-24-2017, 07:22 PM

FAT wrench is 30% off in WSS. FYI
http://www.wholesalesports.com/store...rench/p/242544
Old 03-24-2017, 08:37 PM

I have a fat wrench that I picked up used, and a 5-50 in lb and 20-200 in lb torque wrench. I had these for other jobs, so that was no big deal for me to use them.
Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompey View Post
Thank you for this, I was in there the other day and no sign of a sale. I will out today.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:08 AM

Tor
Old 03-26-2017, 01:46 PM

It has been a few years since I checked the Calibration/accuracy of my Fat Max Q-screwdriver so after this thread came up I took it into work again and re-verified it .

FatMax scale=10.0 in/lbs------9.957 (Verified Q)
15.0 in/lbs------15.46
20.0 in/lbs------19.77
25.0 in/lbs------25.10
30.0 in/lbs------29.59

Not to shabby for one of the worlds ugliest screwdrivers.