Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post
Only because OP was drunk in public - otherwise the stop and check would not be 'reasonable'.

Unless like most Canadian they simply consented to an illegal search; consent would make it legal.
Yes, there first has to be an arrestable offence, which there was in this case.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:53 PM
Banned

Quite a few years ago I managed to accumulate a fair number of parking tickets...to the tune of about $150 (this at a time when they were no more than $30).
They'd gone to warrant, this before the days of just collecting when your registration was due, a cop came to my home and took me into custody.
In the cruiser he told me he'd be taking me downtown where I would have the option of paying the tickets or being arrested. He then told me what the amount would and asked if I had that much cash on me (and told me they wouldn't take a cheque).
I didn't.
He offered to drive me to a bank with a Instant Teller (long enough ago that they weren't that common) about 15 minutes out of his way...I accepted his offer and an hour later I was back home.
Luckily I've had very few interactions with the law...but anytime I have I've treated them reasonably and have been treated reasonably in return.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 PM

Default Good folks

I was driving my car to work last winter because it's cheaper to drive than the old 4x4, and the weather was nice, so no big deal, well it just happened that while I was at work that everything got a big dump of snow! So I'm on my way home from work with the car and wishing I was driving the pickup, and I needed to make a stop at the bank in Edson, so I tried to get in the parking lot and got stuck as I was trying to leave the highway, a cop pulls up behind me and turns on his lights and gets out of his cruiser and gives me a push! Very nice fellow, I thanked him and shook his hand and went on my way thinking that there are some good people out there and it doesn't matter if they are wearing a uniform or not, good people are just plain nice to meet.
Old 03-24-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cook View Post
So yesterday was a very quiet and hungover day, however today I went and bought two twenty dollar gift cards from Timmys and went to the local detachment and met with the CO to tell him that the actions of one of his staff was greatly appreciated and showed a real sense of community and after a couple of donut and bribery jokes gave him the envelope with the gift cards to pass on to the members.
Hope you met our Canmore staff sergeant - heck of a nice guy.