Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 03:52 AM

Default Generator Deals

So I am in the market for a new generator and am looking at yamaha or honda in and around the 3000W watt range. Where are you finding the best prices for these? Online or locally would be willing to travel for the right price.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:02 AM
Banned

I don't know of any deals or if there is such a thing for generators but I highly recommend the Yamaha 3000ise inverter. It is not a light unit by any means, I think about 160lbs full of fuel but you get what you pay for.

I would also recommend purchasing it straight from a Yamaha dealer because if it ever breaks down you will be sent there anyways. Your sales associate will tell you that you can get two smaller Yamaha units and hook them together that will produce about 4000watts or so but I don't recommend this as these units are meant for light duty use, however much lighter to lift and store you just won't get the life you would out of a 3000ise.

On the other end of the top of the line spectrum you have Honda which is also a great machine and the only down side is the rubber timing belt that will eventually need replacement and an inflated cost. Yamaha runs a gear drive timing chain and still has all the add on bells and whistles ready for purchase such as the remote start package or exhilaray fuel tank so you don't have to fuel up as often. As it sits I've been running my yammy hard for three years now and don't have a single complaint. Just maintain it as required and run it under load at least once a month when in storage as recommended in your manual. Happy camping this season everyone
Old 03-23-2017, 06:14 AM
Gone Hunting

I would highly recommend Honda. We have had the Honda EU3000is for 5 years. With it being a little heavy, at 130 lbs. dry, we added the wheel kit to it. Runs everything that we have or use, with power to spare, and no surges. Easy on fuel and very well muffled. We have never had neighbouring campers complain to us about it, in fact, we have plugged them in more than once. Good gennies make for good neighbours!!!!!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:38 AM
Banned

The yammy makes less noise in both Eco mode and full out than the Honda. I removed the wheels on mine so I can keep it double locked in the back of my truck. I purchased a longer cord so I don't have to remove it from my truck and it fits perfectly in front of my fifth wheel hitch,plus the folding truck bed cover can be folded in such a way to protect it from the elements. Yammy😁
Old 03-23-2017, 07:45 AM

Definitely go with a Honda over the Yamaha, Honda's whisper quiet sound come from the way they design the exhaust... Yamaha tries to keep the generator quiet by putting sound deadening foam inside the panels of the unit which eventually burn off and stink like crazy and eventually get louder the longer you use them.. Maybe Yamaha has changed this in the last little bit, but this is how it was a couple years ago.... And we have had both units running side by side.... Honda is quieter
Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^v^Tinda wolf^v^ View Post
The yammy makes less noise in both Eco mode and full out than the Honda. I removed the wheels on mine so I can keep it double locked in the back of my truck. I purchased a longer cord so I don't have to remove it from my truck and it fits perfectly in front of my fifth wheel hitch,plus the folding truck bed cover can be folded in such a way to protect it from the elements. Yammy😁
If you do some research you will see the honda is slightly quiter (58db) than the Yamaha (61db) @ full output. You wouldn't be able to distinguish 1 from the other if you couldn't see it. The Yamaha comes with wheels, Honda you have to purchase wheel kit. I've had a 3000 for 8 years, works great but they are to heavy, so I bought 2 2000's & a tether to combine them when needed. Can't go wrong with either brand.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:16 AM

Ojs Yamaha Wainwright
780 842 3332
Ask for Owen
Old 03-23-2017, 08:17 AM

When I shopped around there was never a great sale anywhere, it's like Honda Canada sets the price and that's it everyone was always within 100 bucks of eachother and it was the same with Yamaha.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 AM

I know if you purchase thru a business, you get a bit better price but your warranty time is cut in half for a Yamaha.

I bought the Yamaha 2400 Inverter couple years back....does the job for what we need. If you have a 15000 btu air conditioner, this size wont run it unless you install a HArd Start capacitor. (I have the 15000...lol)

Went with the 2400 as its easier to lift by yourself. Don't use the A/C that much anyhow when now at a power site.

The Yamaha 2800 Inverter would be good, just a bit louder as it doesn't have all the body enclosure.

Honda is another great choice.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcmax05 View Post
If you do some research you will see the honda is slightly quiter (58db) than the Yamaha (61db) @ full output...
Similar research will reveal the 3 db increase represents a DOUBLING of sound output power on the dba scale
(bell curve following human hearing sensitivity).
Old 03-23-2017, 09:55 AM

The biggest factor is the weight of these two units. If you have to lift it in and out of your unit, these are really heavy. I use two smaller units in parallel due to this, but they still aren't as good as either of the big units.

I'd buy one used on kijiji. These are both reliable machines and many users only use them camping which means they have very low hours on them. Save a thousand bucks.

Sent from my STH100-1 using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 10:18 AM

I love my Honda eu2000i, not sure if that is enough juice for you but much more manageable than the 3000 weight and cost wise. Mainly use it for camping as I only random camp, won't run the ac on my camper of course but never really needed it either.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:03 PM

Honda has a new 3000 model (couple years old now i believe) that is only 77lbs.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/gener...eries/eu3000ik
Old 03-23-2017, 12:05 PM

Arrow An option . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Off in the Bushes View Post
So I am in the market for a new generator and am looking at yamaha or honda in and around the 3000W watt range. Where are you finding the best prices for these? Online or locally would be willing to travel for the right price.
If it will see a lot of use and live a rough life, carry on with your Honda/Yamaha plans. But don't expect to find any deals or sales of any consequence with those brand names ... their prices are pretty much fixed.

If it will only see light to moderate use and it won't be bouncing around in the back of a pickup truck, consider a lesser brand name like 'Champion'. I've had my Champion inverter for 5+ years now, and it still runs like new. It's as quiet as the Honda, and costs ~30% less.

http://www.championpowerequipment.co...cts/inverters/
Old 03-23-2017, 12:22 PM

If you are looking at buying used make sure the sellers story adds up you aren't buy "stolen". These things are golden to thieves.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:40 PM

Default Honda

Honda Eu3ooo manual starts comes with wheels and a fold up handle for wheeling it around and only weighs 78 pounds,or you can now piggy back two Honda eu2000's for 4000 watts and can carry both of them

Pm if you need more info as I sell them at work

Pin
Old 03-23-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyperch View Post
Honda has a new 3000 model (couple years old now i believe) that is only 77lbs.

http://powerequipment.honda.ca/gener...eries/eu3000ik
However no electric start on the lightweight 3000 model
Old 03-23-2017, 03:07 PM

Those that have a electric start is it worth it. Are batteries that heavy could you just plug into the truck power to start the unit to shave weight for hauling it around..
Old 03-23-2017, 05:20 PM

Honda 5500 over here. 22 amps per leg. 240 volts and remote start capable and one tough wife to help move it. No complaints, need the power to charge a battery bank when a cloud passes over the solar panels. We do not move it much and start it from a controller in the cabin.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:20 AM

I got my Honda around Mothers day,this is when they have there spring sale.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocpilefsj View Post
I love my Honda eu2000i, not sure if that is enough juice for you but much more manageable than the 3000 weight and cost wise. Mainly use it for camping as I only random camp, won't run the ac on my camper of course but never really needed it either.
Nice little generator, I've had one for 10 seasons now. Change the oil every spring and put a new spark plug in it once. Not sure if it needed it though.
On late season hunts when it's minus 10ish at night I've let it run all night to keep lots of current flowing for the furnace fan.
It'll run the toaster and the microwave but not the AC. Never use the AC when random camping as we are usually only in the trailer to sleep.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:45 AM

I'm with Selkirk on the Champion. 2800 running watts 3100 peak. Runs the A/C on my trailer, not quite as quiet as the Honda or Yamaha, but not a whole bunch louder ( actually had someone comment on how quiet it was and this guy hates generators ). Think it's about 80 pounds, I easily lift it into the truck by myself. Costco has them for $899.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:56 AM

My neighbor borrowed my Honda 3000 for a while. He liked it so much he went and bought a Honda 7000 last year.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:45 PM

Just wanna throw out "kippor" generators I have the 3000 si inverter model, bought it in 2007 with my 5thwheel iv had 0 issues with it its just as quiet as Honda and yammys and I only paid 1200 for it.