Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 05:55 PM

Default TACOMA VS CANYON Opinions needed

Looking to get a new truck and both canyon and tacomas are the same price. Am interested in hearing from current owners and such about which one is better and why.

Thanks guys
Old 03-23-2017, 06:01 PM
Banned

I have a 2008 Taco. No complaints. If I ever sell it, I might upgrade to a Tundra.

The Toyota Tacoma TRD - preferred truck of the Special Forces in Afghanistan!

Old 03-23-2017, 06:08 PM

For the same price I would not hesitate on the Toyota. Resale value alone swings the deal to Toyota.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-23-2017, 06:48 PM

I vote Tacoma. They hold there value and are tough as nails. Lots of aftermarket accessories....

Now I look around and wonder if I like them!
Old 03-23-2017, 06:53 PM

Tacoma - hands down.

I'm Assuming you are not looking for payload or towing (in which case I'd recommend a full size) and are able to meet your requirements in the smaller truck platform.....

The Toyota will offer better resale, off road capability, looks, reliability, .......

Nothing I can think of, in a smaller truck platform, would compel me to buy a domestic when it's up against a Toyota.
Old 03-23-2017, 06:57 PM
Banned

My God man... DO NOT buy that GMC/Chev.

Like many have said, look at the resale of each truck... I owe <$19k on mine (2014, bought in Nov '13), and could sell it any day of the week for $30k, multiple times over.

There's a reason the Tacoma had (up until last year) 11 years of unchanged (for the most part) manufacturing. Minus a few interior bits & the headlight/grill/fenders, it was the same truck for more than a decade... That's sayin' somethin'.

To add to that, I am also a proud Tacoma owner. And will gladly put my truck against ANY 1/4 ton Chev-product, any day, any "test"... Hands down, its far superior to any S-10/S-15/Sonoma/Canyon/Colorado.

And Toyotas can still be bought with a manual transmission too ! Mine's a 6sp.

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 03-23-2017 at 07:03 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:04 PM

I use mine for oilfield work, I had a 2010 Colorado and ran it for 4 years. I had some engine problems but they don't make that engine anymore, other problems were sensors and traction control. Smooth ride. I now run a 2014 Tacoma I have 150,000 km on it and besides oil changes and tires all I put in it were spark plugs and a set of front brakes. Doesn't ride as smooth as the Chevy but definitely a tuffer truck. Will buy another taco.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:09 PM

Buddy at work has a new Tacoma. The 3.5 is better on fuel that the 4.0 it replaced with very little power loss. The only problem with the older ones is that they used more fuel than a full sized.

The new 3.5 in a Camry is a blast to drive.

Edit, apparently the new one has more horses

Most drivers will opt for V6 power, where the two trucks differ. Last year's V6-powered Tacoma used a 236-hp 4.0-liter V6, while today's model swaps out the engine for a more advanced 3.5-liter unit. Despite its smaller size, the new powerplant sees an increase of 42 hp for 2016 to a muscular 278 hp. Last year's 6-speed manual remains standard for some V6 trucks, while a newly optional 6-speed automatic replaces the outgoing Tacoma's 5-speed.

As expected, fuel economy figures are improved compared to last year's numbers. V6 models reach up to 19 miles per gallon in the city and 24 mpg on the highway, a big increase over last year's top figures of 17 mpg city/21 mpg hwy.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:14 PM

I looked at both of these trucks about a year ago, I probably would have bought the Canyon had they had any color other then Red in the Trim level I wanted.

I liked the Tacoma, but the biggest thing to me was the seating in the back seat,it felt low to the ground so my knees were high and would have been uncomfortable on an extended trip in the back seat. with two teenagers I didn't think that was a good idea.

If I didn't have people that would regularly ride in the back it wouldn't have been a big problem.

On a side note if you go with the Canyon, don't go to CMP, When they didn't have the color in the trim level I wanted, they said they could get me into one in that color in a lower trim level. i considered it until they told me it was going to be 1k more for the lower trim level....
Old 03-23-2017, 07:42 PM

Taco. For so many reasons.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:44 PM

I went thru all of this last year. Now I own a Tacoma. I wrestled more with the choice then the above posters. The 3rd Gen Tacos are not without their flaws. The only one that Toyota should be bitch slapped for is their total inability to calibrate the shifting of the automatic and the 3.5. It's **** poor, driven as a regular automatic. In tow mode, it drives as a regular automatic should, but if you just run it in drive it is a gutless pathetic excuse for a drivetrain. Most of my rant is over I'd still buy it over the Colorado, call me crazy. Although the 3.5 makes more horsepower then the 4.0, and similar torque, it requires 1000rpm more to reach that torque. That means if you drive it like you stole it, it rips pretty good. Drive it easy, and she's a turd. There are two updates for the tranny, but still don't seem to correct the issues properly yet. I do think Toyota will figure it out eventually.

I have zero doubt the resale of the Tacoma will destroy the Colorado. They both have there pros and cons. Check this thread out too http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...22#post3335722

I like the seating position of the Tacoma, many don't. I also never drove a 17 Colorado. New tranny and motor from the 16. If you want a manual, Toyota for sure. Just go into it with an open mind, and buy what "You" want, not what everyone else thinks is best.

PS I have about 10k on the truck now, I'd say I'm averaging around 12 l/100kms, so decent on fuel, but not stellar considering the size. The Colorado will beat it by a smidgen on fuel.

Last edited by Homesteader; 03-23-2017 at 07:58 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 07:52 PM

I drive a taco. Its horrible on gas. Other than that it drives nice
Old 03-23-2017, 07:58 PM

Do people even buy american vehicles anymore? that's so 1980's

Why is this even a consideration?

10 year old Tacoma and a 2 year old Corolla in my driveway

Zero issues with either
Old 03-23-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post

Zero issues with either
Lots of good domestics on the road. Yes on average the Japanese vehicles may have less trouble, but there's not the spread you think. I've had many trouble free GM full sizes, ymmv
Old 03-23-2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks guys, yes am thinking the tacoma too just for resale. The reason why am considering the canyon and colorado is because they are a rebadged japanese truck made by isuzu. I saw it last year in costa rica under the isuzu banner. They do have very good reviews but i think you guys are right about the resale value
Old 03-23-2017, 08:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryanfewchuk View Post

I drive a taco. Its horrible on gas. Other than that it drives nice
Sorry... I forgot to mention the only "test" a Tacoma may fail. Fuel economy.

But I didn't buy a truck (of any size or brand), to worry about how much gas it uses.

If you're worried about MPG, buy a station-wagon...

Old 03-23-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Think twice

Check out tacomaworld.com bought my first one in 87 next one in 97 sold it a few months ago things are great little maintenance went to test drive a 16 manual and auto different-beasts test drive you'll figure it out I wanted to love it but ended walking away
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
Thanks guys, yes am thinking the tacoma too just for resale. The reason why am considering the canyon and colorado is because they are a rebadged japanese truck made by isuzu. I saw it last year in costa rica under the isuzu banner. They do have very good reviews but i think you guys are right about the resale value
I purchased my Tacoma as brand new in fall of 2013 as a secondary truck to my diesel F250. It runs like a charm with zero issues and I am almost at 100 000 kms now. Occasionally I pull my 19' travel trailer (it is just under 4000lbs dry) and handles it fine but I would not pull anything heavier with it nor do I pull it into the mountains. For me/my needs it works just fine and now it is my one and the only truck.

Bottom line regular oil changes and fuel is all it cost me so far. This is the first truck that I can say this about it. Prior of my Tacoma I had 2005 5.7L Dodge Ram (was an absolute lemon) and after that had 2008 F250 (also had some issues and was very costly to maintain and repair when it does go down).

The resale value on Tacoma is the best of any truck you could buy. You cannot go wrong with Toyota
Old 03-23-2017, 08:40 PM

Every time I look at these little trucks it comes back to fuel mileage. Why bother when you can all the comforts of a full sized truck and basically the same fuel cost. My full sized Chevy gets better mileage than the 4.0 litre Tacoma and the resale value is fine. It might not beat through bush like a little one but it rides like a Cadillac in comparison and I haven't turned a wrench on it since new in 2010. I am not taking a $40,000+ vehicle bush whacking anyway.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
Every time I look at these little trucks it comes back to fuel mileage. Why bother when you can all the comforts of a full sized truck and basically the same fuel cost. My full sized Chevy gets better mileage than the 4.0 litre Tacoma and the resale value is fine. It might not beat through bush like a little one but it rides like a Cadillac in comparison and I haven't turned a wrench on it since new in 2010. I am not taking a $40,000+ vehicle bush whacking anyway.
You do have a point there, but i barely tow and u r comparing a mid level taco to an entry level chev 1500 at 40k. I would like to get something with a few bells and whistles as i wanna keep it for 10 years at least.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:51 PM

Canyon diesel
Old 03-23-2017, 08:52 PM

Taco, and not even close

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-23-2017, 08:55 PM

Default trucks

I have a TACOMA and my oldest son has a Tundra. My daughter-in-law has a new Rav 4. Very few complaints on the vehicles, except the gas mileage.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deer_Hunter View Post

Zero issues with either
A quick look at what is on the road will show how many people buy American. There are as many reasons to buy American as there are to buy foreign.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2750 View Post
I do not think I would agree. The fuel consumption is not great on them that is true but I do not think you can compare the resale value. I paid for mine in Aug 2013 (2013 Tacoma TRD Soprt loaded with heated seats etc) $37,000 with GST and all fees included in this price. I can probably sell it now close to $30K after 100 000 KMS and close to 4 years.

A coworker of mine had 2013 Silverado that he got around the same time I got my Tacoma. He is a GM guy to the core and he already had to trade his back for a new Sierra as Silverado started to show up a lots of rust. The dealer fixing it would only be a slowing down the disaster in making so he let it go with a huge loss. Mind you I am not saying all GM trucks are bad (in fact I have some friends that are quite happy with theirs and I am sure you are too). You can get lemons with all makes and let me tell you I had my share, but personally I have yet to hear negativity on Toyota and especially about Tacomas.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonH View Post
I do not think I would agree. The fuel consumption is not great on them that is true but I do not think you can compare the resale value. I paid for mine in Aug 2013 (2013 Tacoma TRD Soprt loaded with heated seats etc) $37,000 with GST and all fees included in this price. I can probably sell it now close to $30K after 100 000 KMS and close to 4 years.

A coworker of mine had 2013 Silverado that he got around the same time I got my Tacoma. He is a GM guy to the core and he already had to trade his back for a new Sierra as Silverado started to show up a lots of rust. The dealer fixing it would only be a slowing down the disaster in making so he let it go with a huge loss. Mind you I am not saying all GM trucks are bad (in fact I have some friends that are quite happy with theirs and I am sure you are too). You can get lemons with all makes and let me tell you I had my share, but personally I have yet to hear negativity on Toyota and especially about Tacomas.
My SLE 4 door 4X4 (full load except leather) was well under 30 new with 0 percent financing over 80 months. Paid off long ago and still only has a little over 100,000 KM, so still worth 20ish. Pretty cheap driving at just over $1000 a year.

But you are preaching to the quire, I have a 2001 TRD 4 door in the back yard and my daily driver is a Camry. I just cant understand why Toyota cant make fuel efficient trucks.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:26 PM

Resale on Tacoma alone is worth it, as previously stated by other ao member, you should check out the Nissan Frontier aswell, I've owned two of them, and regret getting rid of them!
Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 PM

How are they the same price? The Tacoma has a MSRP of $29,660 and the Canyon has a MSRP of $22,605. Have you loaded up the Canyon with options the Tacoma doesn't have? Based on Kelly Blue book, the 5 year depreciation of a 2016 4 door extended cab 2.5L Canyon was $9,050.00 and the 5 year depreciation of a 2017 double cab 2.7L Tacoma was $8,354.00. My gut feel is alot of the resale value is due to the fact the MSRP is over $7k higher, on a $23k truck, thats alot.
Old 03-23-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
To add to that, I am also a proud Tacoma owner. And will gladly put my truck against ANY 1/4 ton Chev-product, any day, any "test"... Hands down, its far superior to any S-10/S-15/Sonoma/Canyon/Colorado.
Well, according to this comparison test made on the same day, by the same driver, with the same testing equipment, the Tacoma has 7 cubic feet less front and rear interior space even though its only .4" shorter, has a smaller bed, has a lesser payload, has less towing capacity, has less hp, has less torque, has a lower redline, is slower to 30, is slower to 60, is slower 5-60, is slower 30-50, is slower 50-70, and put up a worse number on the skidpad. There aren't actually many areas the Tacoma will outperform the Canyon, and as you can see in the link, the comparison wasn't even close.

Link
Old 03-23-2017, 11:11 PM

The domestics also offer crazy deals to clear out stock, often 10,000 off when the new models come out. Another thing to consider is the finance rate and terms. Toyota only offers a decent rate over a short term, if you need longer terms the rate goes up sharply.