Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2017, 04:52 AM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods

Our company bought the 2016 canyon that was featured at the car show last year. Its been in the shop once a month and overall more than the 2010 Tundra sitting in my driveway. Both Hummers are in the shop constantly for repairs that should not be required on a 100K km vehicle.... Just picked up a newer model pathfinder to drive around town. Go Toyota or Nissan and only the gas pumps will hurt you.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:22 AM

Tacoma. A V6 model will depreciate 4k the first year, and 3k/yr for several years after that.
I have an 07 that I'm happy with.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:57 AM

Had nothing but great experience with the Tacoma. 92 pick up, 00 Taco and 05 Taco. All fetched great resale prices and had issues. Only switched to a F150 due to growing family.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2017, 07:01 AM

Default Tacoma

From personal experience toyota tacoma all the way in the mid size pickup most reliable and tuffest truck.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:07 AM

I have a 2010 manual transmission that I bought new, it now has ~248k on it. It's never let me down, besides regular maintenance the only repairs were ball joints and a u-joint this past year. I don't think mileage is too bad, comparable to my old Nissan Altima.
I test-drive a Dakota at the time and there was no comparison.
Have you given them a test-drive yet?
Old 03-24-2017, 07:10 AM

We had a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer that was a horrible combination of tin cans and plastic. We traded it off for a 2012 Tacoma TRD. The difference is night and day. After 5 years and 128,000 KM it was still solid, no squeaks or rattles, everything still worked as it did when we picked it up. We had no issues with it at all, just regular maintenance. The lease just came due on it and we returned it to the dealer and leased a new 4Runner.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 AM

Am definitely sold on the tacoma, anyone got a good deal in calgary or got some dealer info?.. thanks
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 AM

This should not even be a question. TACOMA. Done.
I have a 2013, awesome truck, reliable, does everything I ever asked of it and more. You will not be dissapointed.
I dealt with Stampede toyota on my last 2 vehicles, the other was an FJ, I miss that thing....
Old 03-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srs123 View Post
Am definitely sold on the tacoma, anyone got a good deal in calgary or got some dealer info?.. thanks
find out the "mean" price for your build. you should be able to have them come down 12-15 points. be prepared to walk away. talk only "all in" pricing.

I got my Taco from Southpoint, at the last sec they tried hard to charge me an admin fee (was prepared to drive down to High River Toyota). they dropped that when I insisted they had 20 mins to firm up our agreed price.

I found Charlesglen and Cochrane Toyota the most expensive on a 2014, picked up a 2015 for 5k less.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-24-2017, 09:03 AM

I traded my 2012 Tacoma with a 4L for the 2016 with the 3.5 and 6speed.

I found the older 4L had more tourque at lower rpm but the 3.5 is very powerful though, it just revs a bit higher. It does get a few more mpg, typically get 10.5-12L/100 on the highway. So pretty decent, considering its powerful and very capable.

The Tacoma holds its value so much better, just look them up used on Kijiji. I traded my 4 year old Tacoma for 28,000, what does a 4 year old chev sell for?

Be cautioned, you may get frustrated with the shifting from 6/5/4, but the transmission does take time to learn your driving habits. It'll still shift 6/5/4 but not as bad.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:05 AM

Also peel off the 265/65/17's and go straight to 265/70/17. They fit like a glove and are 1" taller. It's a super common size, tons of selection and decent price.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:14 AM

If you're a hunter and have quad, the tacoma is not an option, it only has a payload of 1000 lbs. Average person 200 lbs. each, average quad 700 lbs, you go hunting with your buddy and you're already over the max. payload. I guess it would be ok if you guys kill a squirrel, but definitely not a moose.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob_1967 View Post
We had a 2005 Chevy Trailblazer that was a horrible combination of tin cans and plastic. We traded it off for a 2012 Tacoma TRD. The difference is night and day. After 5 years and 128,000 KM it was still solid, no squeaks or rattles, everything still worked as it did when we picked it up. We had no issues with it at all, just regular maintenance. The lease just came due on it and we returned it to the dealer and leased a new 4Runner.
And that shows what a crapshoot it is.
I have a 2007 Trailblazer with 295000 km on the clock.
Other that tires, brakes and the serpentine belt I've done nothing but oil changes since I've had it.
Easily on par with the Toyota Previa I had before that...which I got rid of when it had 450000 km.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeky View Post
I got my Taco from Southpoint, at the last sec they tried hard to charge me an admin fee (was prepared to drive down to High River Toyota). they dropped that when I insisted they had 20 mins to firm up our agreed price.
Typical dealer tactics. Once they know that you want the vehicle, they'll start with the added costs. Generally, people get a better price if the dealer wants to sell the vehicle more that you want to buy it. Always be ready to walk away.

Question about the Taco
We're considering one for our next vehicle. Tacomas have plastic fender flares. I've always thought that flares were breeding grounds for rust. What are AO member's experiences? ..... especially after a decade or so.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:38 AM

Tacoma hands down. Better resale and reliability across the board.

In all my travels, from savannahs in Africa to muddy jungles in the Amazon - I've only ever seen Japanese 4x4's. Tacomas, Hilux, Landcruisers, Pajeros, Patrol's...

There's a good reason for that!

Really like the look of the new Canyons though, and the fuel economy on that diesel engine is the best you can get I think.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by st99 View Post
If you're a hunter and have quad, the tacoma is not an option, it only has a payload of 1000 lbs. Average person 200 lbs. each, average quad 700 lbs, you go hunting with your buddy and you're already over the max. payload. I guess it would be ok if you guys kill a squirrel, but definitely not a moose.
For that reason, and pricing, is why I will be going with a Tundra next year
Old 03-24-2017, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Well, according to this comparison test made on the same day, by the same driver, with the same testing equipment, the Tacoma has 7 cubic feet less front and rear interior space even though its only .4" shorter, has a smaller bed, has a lesser payload, has less towing capacity, has less hp, has less torque, has a lower redline, is slower to 30, is slower to 60, is slower 5-60, is slower 30-50, is slower 50-70, and put up a worse number on the skidpad. There aren't actually many areas the Tacoma will outperform the Canyon, and as you can see in the link, the comparison wasn't even close.

Link
The entire article is an interesting read. We'll see what the long term reliability on the Canyon is.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-24-2017, 11:37 AM

Nissan Frontier, check it out.

Researched Tacoma's for a long time and couldn't find a reason to buy one over a Frontier. Best purchase I've ever made. Better fuel consumption and horsepower with basically any load, when compared to a Tacoma. Roomier cabin and smoother ride.

Canyon and Colorado? Cheaper finishes and mechanical issues galore. Lots of reviews and consumer issues. They used to be half the price of a Tacoma, so it's scary that you're saying a Canyon is the same price...

If it's between a Tacoma and Canyon, get the Tacoma. If you're looking for the best small pickup, get a Frontier.

finally, the earth swung around
Old 03-24-2017, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sky View Post
Typical dealer tactics. Once they know that you want the vehicle, they'll start with the added costs. Generally, people get a better price if the dealer wants to sell the vehicle more that you want to buy it. Always be ready to walk away.

Question about the Taco
We're considering one for our next vehicle. Tacomas have plastic fender flares. I've always thought that flares were breeding grounds for rust. What are AO member's experiences? ..... especially after a decade or so.

on that-make em demo you a bunch of models, costs them money for every kilometre you test drive.

#I Am An Outdoorsman And I Approve This Message

#creativity can't wait for technology
Old 03-24-2017, 12:16 PM

Default Huge Toyota Fan Boy

My first Toyota was a used 4 Runner. It had somewere between 400 and 500 thounsand km. The only thing I had to do on that vehicle was replace the timming belt and the they did the water pump at the same time. This was done as maintenence, as it didnt fail. I had a FJ cruiser that had over 200,000 km and never put a wrench to the thing, it was a tank. I currently own a Tundra that I purchased brand new. I havenet even had a warning light fail. Its been flawless for 3 years.

Thats why I am a fan Boy
Old 03-24-2017, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trochu View Post
Well, according to this comparison test made on the same day, by the same driver, with the same testing equipment, the Tacoma has 7 cubic feet less front and rear interior space even though its only .4" shorter, has a smaller bed, has a lesser payload, has less towing capacity, has less hp, has less torque, has a lower redline, is slower to 30, is slower to 60, is slower 5-60, is slower 30-50, is slower 50-70, and put up a worse number on the skidpad. There aren't actually many areas the Tacoma will outperform the Canyon, and as you can see in the link, the comparison wasn't even close.

Link
That was a test of the new Tacoma, not the 2004-2015 version with the 4.0L... And again, resale is far better with any Tacoma.

Old 03-24-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
That was a test of the new Tacoma, not the 2004-2015 version with the 4.0L... And again, resale is far better with any Tacoma.

So your premise is that I was comparing the Canyon to a 2016 Tacoma, which isn't fair because the old ones are better?

And again, I don't doubt that its better, but I'd love to see some actual depreciation figures from a reputable site. Is it that much better that it covers the approximately $7k difference in MSRP for the Tacoma?
Old 03-24-2017, 04:50 PM

Can't show you a depreciation schedule from any reputable source, but I can tell you that a 10-year old Tacoma can fetch a price of a new canyon today, or almost that. That's from personal experience. How much do you think a 10-year old canyon would be worth?

If I were to choose, I might consider Nissan, though I am not a fan, but non of the domestic brands would even come to mind to look at, in this class of a vehicle (probably most classes, actually). The only thing that "goes" on the Tacomas and 4runners, as far as I am aware, are cv boots, which sucks. Might need a cv boot every 100,000 km or so. Other than that, there are no complaints.
Old 03-24-2017, 07:40 PM

The Canyon has way better tow rating the 3.6L gas has 7000lb rating and the
2.8L diesel has a 7700 rating.

The Tacoma is rated for 6400 lb.

With the Canyon or Colorado you get way more options than the Tacoma, more bang for your buck.

As for the Nissan frontier that was also mentioned, Those trucks at out of the running they havn't changed in 13 years that model is so out dated, but if you go to South America, Caribbean or Asia they have a way newer model.

and that goes same for the ford ranger.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Can't show you a depreciation schedule from any reputable source, but I can tell you that a 10-year old Tacoma can fetch a price of a new canyon today, or almost that. That's from personal experience. How much do you think a 10-year old canyon would be worth?
Really. There are a number of 2005/06 on Kiijiji (Alberta) right now from $7900 -$9000.
Please point me to where I can get a new Canyon for that...I'll pick up one each for me and my two sons.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:21 PM

Maybe shouldn't said today since I have no idea what the market is like now.
However, my buddy sold one last year, 2005 with low mileage of just over 150,000 km, manual transmission for $17,500. The buyer also paid for the windshield and safety.
My other buddy sold his 2005 two years ago, manual transmission and mileage of just over 170,000 km for $18,500. This one was lifted. The buyer paid for new windshield.
The first one also had a set of winter tires on rims that were passed to the buyer. Both vehicles were in great shape. One buyer also had to replace a cv boot on the driver's side about two months after the purchase. Both buyers are still happy campers.

P.S. Took a quick look at kijiji and have not seen too many below $14,000. So my question remains, how much would a 10-year old canyon would be priced at?
Old 03-25-2017, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Strange. I load a quad in my Tacoma every year and pull a small trailer. With ramps against the cab you can close the tailgate. If payload is an issue for you then air bag it.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I would disagree. Kawi 650 and a 53 incher.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-25-2017, 09:55 AM

My opinion is buy neither of them, buy a full size , price of these small cramped trucks is not worth it with the fuel economy on the highway with a full size.My family, (Dad, brothers, son and my self ) have 13 Silverado's with 5.3l and 6.2l between us. Oil changes and tires is all we maintain. Resale is good on them, just remember most vehicles are a necessary liability and all will depreciate no matter the brand. They all wear out and rust, just some worse than others. DogFish
Old 03-25-2017, 10:22 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOGFISH View Post
My opinion is buy neither of them, buy a full size , price of these small cramped trucks is not worth it with the fuel economy on the highway with a full size.My family, (Dad, brothers, son and my self ) have 13 Silverado's with 5.3l and 6.2l between us. Oil changes and tires is all we maintain. Resale is good on them, just remember most vehicles are a necessary liability and all will depreciate no matter the brand. They all wear out and rust, just some worse than others. DogFish
X 2 ! , both of the OP,s alternatives are city dweller crapp cans , made for people who wanna " think " they are driving a pickup truck,,