Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-23-2017, 08:19 PM

Default Digital Callipers for Reloading?

Hey everyone. I would like to purchase a set of decent quality digital callipers for use in reloading. The cabelas callipers seem to get poor reviews. Looking at KBC tools, the digital callipers seem expensive >$100.

Can anyone provide recommendations on moderately priced callipers please?

Thanks!
Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 PM

I have the Carrera
Precision CP8806-T 6-Inch Stainless Steel Digital LCD Caliper Micrometer.

Cost around 30 USD and use it for all my reloading measurements. Very happy with it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-23-2017, 08:38 PM

Personally I like dial calipers, 8" or 12", the 6" a bit small in my hands.
Lee Valley carries them.
http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...,43513&p=43546
Old 03-23-2017, 08:46 PM

I bought an empire one from one of the hardware stores. They make pretty decent levels that I use at work and I figured it would be better then the cabelas one and I really like it. Was messing around with it measuring brass and looking at my reloading book, measured exactly what it was in the book over and over. No missed readings. I'm happy with it but that's what I figured when I bought mine.
Old 03-23-2017, 08:56 PM

Go to a machine shop tool supplier who deals with KAR or SOWA.
KAR Tool carries the INSIZE brand. SOWA carries ASIMETO.
These are not Mitutoyo quality but we have had examples of both brands in the shop for years and they are very good. They quite often have a sales flyer and the prices are good. Another decent brand that won't break the bank is Fowler.
These are WAAAAAY better quality than the stuff from Princess Auto, Cdn Tire, Busy Bee etc.

http://kar.ca/digital-caliper-0-150m...ng-206617.html

http://www.sowatool.com/Catalogue/7/...gital+Calipers

I use a 27 year old 6" Mitutoyo dial caliper with the .10" per rev dial, can't stand the .20" per rev dials....
Old 03-23-2017, 09:42 PM

Mastercraft one is fine $43.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/ma...-0586800p.html
Old 03-24-2017, 02:08 AM

Buy once and cry once, you'll find many more uses for a good dial caliper than just reloading.
Old 03-24-2017, 06:48 AM

Some think if it costs more, it must be better. Never had any issues at all with my Mastercraft digital caliper. Got it on sale for less than $20.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunluvr View Post
Some think if it costs more, it must be better. Never had any issues at all with my Mastercraft digital caliper. Got it on sale for less than $20.
x2. We sometimes compared the $15 Mastercraft against a Mitutoyo a friend had when we were on the lathes. Other than the fact that the Mitutoyo could read down to 1/10000", which we never needed for our applications, the numbers were always the same. Doesn't hurt as much though if the old hands drop a $15 tool. Still always nice to have the best you can afford.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post

They come on sale at times. Seem to be decent quality.

Grizz
Old 03-24-2017, 08:24 AM
Shooting Xs

Bought two from CT on sale for $15.00 ,both gave different measurements on the same item and both were incorrect when tested against a set of Mitutoyo calipers, maybe I was just unlucky there. One got filed ,the other is in my range box for rough measuring of groups.
X2 on the INSIZE calipers ,good value IMHO ,test well and zero issues with using them the last couple years.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:57 AM

The best way to find out if a caliper is repeatable is to find someone with a set of measuring guide blocks, and test the calipers against them. Some of the cheaper calipers are repeatable, while some are not.

Look on Kijiji for someone selling mitutoyo, fowler, star, etc. I have picked up a good set of almost new Mitutoyo digital calipers on kijiji for $45... You shouldn't need waterproof ones for reloading.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:46 AM
Banned

i use mitutoyo and starrett but thats because i use my measuring tools every day.

like rembo said the insize and asimeto brands are a great budget brand.

anything else i wouldn't waste my time with. although for reloading the standards aren't all that high you could probably get away with a $30 set. i do occasionally buy cheap sets but only so i can use the points to do layouts or something and i'll scratch it right into the material.
Old 03-24-2017, 10:08 AM
Banned

Quote:
Diddo... Have the same one. It's cheap, but repeatable results.

Here's a good video describing the differences between cheap & expensive calipers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpGUOTVBZ3c

Old 03-24-2017, 10:15 AM

I bought mine from Lee Valley Tools. No complaints from my end.
Old 03-24-2017, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sitting Bull View Post
I bought mine from Lee Valley Tools. No complaints from my end.
Same here.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:41 PM

Lee Valley has a selection. Price is higher but so is the quality. However many use a mastercraft with no issues
Old 03-24-2017, 01:43 PM

One bit of advice, keep spare batteries to fit the digital calipers, nothing is more frustrating than dead batteries rendering the tool useless.

Because I can't follow my own advice, and at best it's 25miles one way to buy new batteries, dial calipers have replaced the digital ones.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 03-24-2017, 02:37 PM

Quote:

I have two sets, they are as accurate as my Mituyo ones. If you wait or put in a sales alert at Canadian tire they go one sale for 12-18$ pretty regular.
Old 03-24-2017, 03:21 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
I have two sets, they are as accurate as my Mituyo ones. If you wait or put in a sales alert at Canadian tire they go one sale for 12-18$ pretty regular.
i'd return the mitutoyo you have then! or if it's spelt like that you probably bought a knockoff set

a guy in our shop had a 6" mastercraft set and you could make it read 18"

i can slam my 12" set of mitutoyos open and closed and it will still read the same. i'll take the pepsi challenge any day against those crappy things
Old 03-24-2017, 04:28 PM

I have a Mastercraft digital the batteries are always dead does anyone else have that problem?

I use a Mitutoyo dial caliper these days, I used to use a vernier type when I was able to see the marks
Old 03-24-2017, 04:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post

I have a Mastercraft digital the batteries are always dead does anyone else have that problem ?
Mine's on its second battery in ~ 6-7 years... Probably need to replace it again this year.

Old 03-24-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
I have a Mastercraft digital the batteries are always dead does anyone else have that problem?
I noticed that the thin plastic case can easily flex inward and the foam lining can turn the caliper on.
Auto off would be nice, but simply tearing out a small piece of the foam over the power switch solved the problem for me.

Quote:
I use a Mitutoyo dial caliper these days, I used to use a vernier type when I was able to see the marks
Vernier calipers are very tough, and never have a dead battery, but do require young eyes.
They are the best way I know to learn to read a vernier scale.

IMHE, all beam calipers are very 'touch' and force vector sensitive, and do require a light and consistent user technique to prevent the tool from deflecting from proper alignment and causing reading variation.
Avoiding excessive force on the 'thumb' roller is essential, and more consistent readings are often possible by gripping the jaws inline with the object to be measured.

IMHE, no beam caliper is as consistently accurate as a proper micrometer, but they also require a light and consistent user technique.

Good Luck, YMMV.
Old 03-24-2017, 05:51 PM

You really don't need any more accuracy than that provided by a decent dial caliper.
For 85% of your reloading needs a vernier caliper is all you'll ever really need.. don't get caught in the techno trap.

The old fashioned Lyman case length jig is amazing for trim lengths BTW

Digital calipers are quasi nice, but are a money pit with their appetite for batteries.

FWIW: I've got all 3 types of caliper, and prefer my dial one best since the old peepers ain't what they used to be.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-24-2017, 07:20 PM

My mastercrap pair is consistent enough for my use. If my 2.785 is always 2.785 then the gospel is 2.785 even if it's actually 2.788. Repeatability is key. As for batteries. The spare is in the case and they're 3 years old and still on their first.

I don't use them for neck turning or anything requiring extreme precision. As it stands my shooting is still the greatest variable to consider.

My pair does have an auto off of about 5 minutes.

Colin
Old 03-24-2017, 07:25 PM

Default Calipers

Hornady dial calipers very accurate and simple to use
Old 03-24-2017, 08:03 PM

Thanks very much everyone!!
Old 03-24-2017, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish_e_o View Post
i'd return the mitutoyo you have then! or if it's spelt like that you probably bought a knockoff set

a guy in our shop had a 6" mastercraft set and you could make it read 18"

i can slam my 12" set of mitutoyos open and closed and it will still read the same. i'll take the pepsi challenge any day against those crappy things
No need to be a dick about this. I didn't say the Mastercrafts were as good as the Mitutoyos, just that used right I can get the same reading from them as I do the Mitutoyo Verniers. SLAMMING verniers around is NOT the right way to use cheap or expensive ones. For reloading ammo there is only so much precision required. I would not use the Mastercrafts for fine machining or precise work but for trim length and those sorts of measurements you don't need a $1000 tool. If you do need the expensive stuff buy it, but for general reloading it is massive over kill.

Verniers are ALL subject to the user applying CONSISTENT pressure when measuring things. They don't have the pressure regulated thumb screw found on the more accurate micrometers. That said, used right, cheaper Verniers will do the job for reloading.
Old 03-25-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
I have 2 of these, measures accurately. I think I bought them on sale for like $12 a piece.

Kevin
Old 03-25-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
No need to be a dick about this. I didn't say the Mastercrafts were as good as the Mitutoyos, just that used right I can get the same reading from them as I do the Mitutoyo Verniers. SLAMMING verniers around is NOT the right way to use cheap or expensive ones. For reloading ammo there is only so much precision required. I would not use the Mastercrafts for fine machining or precise work but for trim length and those sorts of measurements you don't need a $1000 tool. If you do need the expensive stuff buy it, but for general reloading it is massive over kill.

Verniers are ALL subject to the user applying CONSISTENT pressure when measuring things. They don't have the pressure regulated thumb screw found on the more accurate micrometers. That said, used right, cheaper Verniers will do the job for reloading.
They're precision tools and need to be treated accordingly.

Grizz