Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 12-23-2014, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Mind if I ask how much the shipping cost ?
Being located near the U.S. border I have a distinct advantage over most of you . I have a MT. mail box and Dakotaline ships anywhere in the lower 48 for a flat rate of $9.95 whether I buy a dozen snares or 50 dozen .Most recent purchase was,3 DOZEN CUSTOM SNARES ,AS LISTED IN PREVIOUS POST , 2 dozen 110 dukes for 39.95/doz,2 dozen #1 dukes LS FOR $69.96/DOZ ,AND 2 DOZ. #1DUKE COIL SPRINGS FOR $62.95/DOZ. , TOTAL SHIPPING $9.95.. We visit the shipping address down there about every 10 days or so for something or other anyways so I don't have to make a special trip . They have given great service , most arriving from South Dakota in 4 days from time of order . Even with the U.S. dollar difference I am saving money , I also like to support locally but can't afford it .
Old 12-23-2014, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Where are you going to buy your snare parts?

I just made a dozen extensions tonight. I won't say where I had to buy my coyote swivels.
Dave. Halford sells a rig a gajig to mount on the bench . You can build Wammys, swivels,all kinds of snare parts with it. I thinks it's only a few bucks. The cheapest place I found for support wire is the local UFA. 13$ for a 10pound roll. I thunk.halford is 13$ for a 3.5# roll. There's a word Marty uses for this

Last edited by coy coyote; 12-23-2014 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
I also like to support locally but can't afford it .
come on! just a single coyote or a few rats makes up the difference. why support the people who are taking money away from you? and not the people who working FOR you?

not sure, but arn't you paying someone else to process your coyotes. doesn't make sense to cheap out on equipment/gear. when there are many other ways to save money.

no hard feelings. i know we are all trying to save money. but its certainly something to think about.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by coy coyote View Post
Dave. Halford sells a rig a gajig to mount on the bench . You can build Wammys, swivels,all kinds of snare parts with it. I thinks it's only a few bucks. The cheapest place I found for support wire is the local UFA. 13$ for a 10pound roll. I thunk.halford is 13$ for a 3.5# roll. There's a word Marty uses for this
Is this what you are referring to, Coy?

https://www.halfordsmailorder.com/eS...1_0_/_ACBENDER

This is something that I may be interested in investing in. I hammer my ferrules closed and that works fine so I won't be buying a swagger, except maybe the hand swagger that Princess Auto has, I haven't seen that one yet. I plan on making my own snares, etc this summer for next season. I have to do a lot more prep work during the summer so I don't find myself making extensions part way through the season like I am now.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:09 PM

Quote:

This is something that I may be interested in investing in. I hammer my ferrules closed and that works fine so I won't be buying a swagger, except maybe the hand swagger that Princess Auto has, I haven't seen that one yet. I plan on making my own snares, etc this summer for next season. I have to do a lot more prep work during the summer so I don't find myself making extensions part way through the season like I am now.
I believe it is.
Old 12-23-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:

If your only going to build mostly swivels try yutube couple pieces of square pipe or regular pipe and a drill and vice and a scredriver simple easy peasy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20141221_171032.jpg (41.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 12-23-2014, 12:44 PM

Quote:

I built all my snares and extensions this year. I bought an A.R.M bench mount swager. I love this thing, crimps s hooks, cuts cable, and is a lot quieter than hammering. Nothing against hammering but I would save the 40 bucks on a Princess Auto swager and get the real deal. It should last a lifetime, I expect my son to use it if he is so inclined. You should also be able to use this as a tax write off?

Anyways I just thought I would let you know how much I like this tool. It's available a little cheaper from a supplier in Sask.

I'd be curious about the swivel maker from Halfords, let us know how well it works if you go that route.

Edited to add that as a HD mechanic my view on the cost of tools is probably skewed a little. A few purchases on the Snap-On truck and a $200 tool seems cheap lol.

Last edited by Tfng; 12-23-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braggadoe View Post
come on! just a single coyote or a few rats makes up the difference. why support the people who are taking money away from you? and not the people who working FOR you?

not sure, but arn't you paying someone else to process your coyotes. doesn't make sense to cheap out on equipment/gear. when there are many other ways to save money.

no hard feelings. i know we are all trying to save money. but its certainly something to think about.
LOL ..OK , thought about it .. The equipment/gear isn't cheap ,simply less money and yes I'm paying a guy to process my catch cause he does it better than I can and in this case I am supporting a local ..lol . . Sorry but I don't understand how you think " those people " are taking money away from me . Money is money no matter where you spend it and I don't really see how the guys here are working FOR me . After all I'm not the only guy on this thread that has purchased supplies from the States .
Old 12-23-2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyfish View Post
Still gonna keep makng my own ! Like to relax in the evening and whip up 10-20 or whatever I need ! it's better than watching the idiot box !
This not what the NHL playoffs are for?

Those late rounds when there is nothing to trap, sit and make 20 - 30 it does not take long to make a couple hundred.

Making your own sure helps as this year have been trying different cable sizes and lengths. Sure like the kill springs.

some day I'll shoot a deer bigger than my son's.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
LOL ..OK , thought about it .. The equipment/gear isn't cheap ,simply less money and yes I'm paying a guy to process my catch cause he does it better than I can and in this case I am supporting a local ..lol . . Sorry but I don't understand how you think " those people " are taking money away from me . Money is money no matter where you spend it and I don't really see how the guys here are working FOR me . After all I'm not the only guy on this thread that has purchased supplies from the States .

i apologize, i didn't mean to single you out. i really enjoy your post/pics. and i fully understand the importance of saving money, and being able to spend your money where/how ever you'ld like.

just typed out a 1500 word essay on the ahits,agreed minute,BMP's and the affect its having on the fur industry, here in north america. and how its costing canadian trappers money. then deleted it. as its probably best to look into it yourself.
Old 12-24-2014, 06:54 AM

Quote:
i apologize, i didn't mean to single you out. i really enjoy your post/pics. and i fully understand the importance of saving money, and being able to spend your money where/how ever you'ld like.

just typed out a 1500 word essay on the ahits,agreed minute,BMP's and the affect its having on the fur industry, here in north america. and how its costing canadian trappers money. then deleted it. as its probably best to look into it yourself.
No offense taken , we have to stick together for sure . At least we still have our right to discuss and share ideas . Now if you guys up in the Pass area would just shut off the wind for a day or two ..lol ..
Old 12-24-2014, 07:07 AM

i like the wind.

it blows all the granola away!!

hope you have a great check today!!
Old 12-24-2014, 07:34 AM

I looked at the snare shop website, The prebuilt snares I buy from Trapper Gord are a fair bit nicer set up than those. Therefore added cost. I will continue to buy a nice snare set up rather than just cheap. (Then there is the exchange and shipping).
Just like lots of things , a snare bought for 2$ is worth 2$ and a snare bought for 7$ is worth 7$
Old 12-24-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
i like the wind.

it blows all the granola away!!

hope you have a great check today!!
Lol .. good luck to you as well .
Old 12-24-2014, 07:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
I looked at the snare shop website, The prebuilt snares I buy from Trapper Gord are a fair bit nicer set up than those. Therefore added cost. I will continue to buy a nice snare set up rather than just cheap. (Then there is the exchange and shipping).
Just like lots of things , a snare bought for 2$ is worth 2$ and a snare bought for 7$ is worth 7$

The 7 buck snare helps pay for a very lavish catalogue, store and advertising. I prefer to make my own. It is fun and rewarding when you make a catch with your own manufactured snare.
Old 12-24-2014, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kritz View Post
What's worth 7$ on those snare? oh 5$ of sweet love and labor are poured into them. Well if a animal is going to die he might as well die in style. Just joking. Couldn't help it. Merry Christmas.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:08 AM

Quote:

Bragadoe is very right. The local suppliers are more money but all of them support trapping in Alberta a lot more than anyone knows about. Most of the people buying from the states are driving a 60 thousand dollar truck down to pick up their snares shipped from the states and thinking they have really done themselves a good thing. Give your head a shake. One or two yappers more than pay for the savings. The only reason there is snaring in southern Alberta is because of the ATA. Have a good day everyone
Old 12-24-2014, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Bragadoe is very right. The local suppliers are more money but all of them support trapping in Alberta a lot more than anyone knows about. Most of the people buying from the states are driving a 60 thousand dollar truck down to pick up their snares shipped from the states and thinking they have really done themselves a good thing. Give your head a shake. One or two yappers more than pay for the savings. The only reason there is snaring in southern Alberta is because of the ATA. Have a good day everyone
You have some good points but I really have a problem being bent over by my own country like this. I would support them if it was a bit more than the U.S but being %50 more is a kick in the head when your down. It's not right. If they want to try and take advantage like that they won't have my business plain and simple.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:58 AM

That's fine if you setting 25 snares. You start to set a few hundred snares it's a different story. 7 $ a snare at 300 snares that's 2100$. That's retarded. That's 30 more coyotes to catch. It's no different then complaining about paying 20$ for a good skinning job when you can pay 10
Old 12-24-2014, 10:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post

Nube and others that have a US post box for one reason or another, are able to capture some decent prices on pre-made snares. Certainly their money and their perogative to shop outside the Province/Country. I prefer to buy the components from local suppliers but don't pay for their labour to construct snares, I do it.

Just a couple questions....could you explain what the ATA did for snaring in Southern Alberta and what do you consider the boundaries of "Southern Alberta"? I believe alot of people don't know what the ATA does for trappers.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:43 AM

Wow. I didn't expect this to turn into a huge debate. I build my own snares. I did wind up ordering a few thing from the snare shop but it seemed like it was pretty pricey. Cost me 40 bucks in shipping and duty charge and all I ordered was 200 ferrules a coloring book for my so and a book on snaring. Our local stores need to make it so we can order online.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-24-2014, 10:59 AM

Halfords lets you order on line , but I've heard they're shipping can be just as expensive ! I needed a bunch of springs this fall , a 5 minute phone call to Marty and had 100 more springs and triggers in the mail . I believe that trapper gords is the same as well .
It's been a good discussion, learned a few things , that what this place is for , good to know what all your options are !
Old 12-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
You have some good points but I really have a problem being bent over by my own country like this. I would support them if it was a bit more than the U.S but being %50 more is a kick in the head when your down. It's not right. If they want to try and take advantage like that they won't have my business plain and simple.
Agreed , that's my thinking as well . It's like me sending my hides to Martys , I can send them with bare bones postage on Canada snail mail for about $6 each or I can spend $40 for a round trip worth of fuel and drive them there and know that they made it . That means if I have 7 or more hides I can drive it cheaper than the mail , but maybe I'm better off to spend more money and mail my next 30 hides .. Spend your money where you want and enjoy the results of fur caught in your snares , regardless whether or not they are manufactured here or in the States . Don't worry about the debate sureshot , it can happen on any subject, at any time here on AO .
Old 12-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Wow. I didn't expect this to turn into a huge debate. I build my own snares. I did wind up ordering a few thing from the snare shop but it seemed like it was pretty pricey. Cost me 40 bucks in shipping and duty charge and all I ordered was 200 ferrules a coloring book for my so and a book on snaring. Our local stores need to make it so we can order online.
The debate on various subjects is nice here. I think it would be a boring place to be if we all agreed on every subject. A little debate keeps people thinking.

Last edited by Tfng; 12-24-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 12-24-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFNG View Post
The debate on various subjects is nice here. I think it would be a boring place to be if we all agreed on every subject. A little debate keeps people thinking and innovating.
I agree everyone has a different opinion, and I'm glad everyone has stayed civil. The reason I mentioned the online ordering is that I don't use credit cards but have a visa debit card that works online but not for phone orders.

I know Halfords has online ordering but they never have any 5/64 hardware in stock.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 12-24-2014, 01:23 PM

I'm not sure how to get around the visa debit thing. With significantly more planning you could probably mail a cheque for your order. Marty has been claiming to have a new website coming soon for a while now, maybe the new site will have online ordering. I like calling and having a talk with Marilyn and quizzing her on what Marty is up to lol.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:33 PM

If you do online banking i would guess that marty could easily accept an email money transfer. Not to promote marty but. I dont think that would be a big deal to a smaller guy like marty.
Old 12-24-2014, 09:41 PM

Well I looked at trapper gords sight and he's out to lunch on some of his prices $18 for a 100 ferrules that's 12 bucks more than what I just paid from the snare shop. How can he justify that.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureshot View Post
Well I looked at trapper gords sight and he's out to lunch on some of his prices $18 for a 100 ferrules that's 12 bucks more than what I just paid from the snare shop. How can he justify that.
Well we have to support the local trapping community the way I see it is. The Chinese have been supporting me. Buying all those furs. So guess what i'll support them.
Old 12-25-2014, 06:30 AM

you must have extremely short memory coy. if the Chinese for some unforeseen reason don't buy fur. the market tanks.

at there lies the problem. the less we rely on the chinese, the better.

everybody signed the AHTIS, but the US. the US is handicapping the growth of the industry here in north america(and probably around the world aswell).

by supporting the US. your curbing progress that this industry desperately needs to continue to grow.

and for the record. i'm an american. as a trapper its embarrassing/very sad.