Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2021, 02:09 PM

Default $30/yr random camping fee

Surprised this wasn't posted yet..

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...year-1.5954254

I think this is drastically needed, BUT only if the majority of the proceeds go to enforcement.

Last edited by JB_AOL; 03-18-2021 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Fat fingers
Old 03-18-2021, 02:20 PM

I have no problem with that, $30 annually is still cheap, should be at least double Taxpayers that don't use random camping or crownland camping don't need to help foot the bill for clean up by what pig campers leave behind.
Old 03-18-2021, 02:33 PM

Won’t solve the problem just a new way to collect money from the public in my opinion

Offenders could have been fined do to littering and environmental offenses if it was really about addressing the issue
Old 03-18-2021, 03:00 PM

The number of campers has quadrupled since Covid and they all need to learn that the land can tolerate only so much abuse. I agree with the user fee approach but also think a lot more littering fines should be handed out.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:22 PM

Make it $30 a night. Thin out the swine herds.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
This, it is unfathomable to me that people out there random camping and leaving a pig sty is considered normal behavior in Alberta. Not enough wilderness and to many people. Good gawd, the feces alone is enough to make a guy gag.

Thomas Sowell
Old 03-18-2021, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 270person View Post
Obviously you are not on a fixed income (pension) that your buddy in Ottawa is trying to take away.

Just to be clear... I do support the $30/yr but not any more than that. The penalties should be directed to the abusers.

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-18-2021, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
This, it is unfathomable to me that people out there random camping and leaving a pig sty is considered normal behavior in Alberta. Not enough wilderness and to many people. Good gawd, the feces alone is enough to make a guy gag.
Yup people are disgusting.

We were camping mid week, early season, camp ground pretty empty. In our immediate area maybe 3-4 camp sites and all separated by a slot or two.

Came back to our campsite at Pigeon Lake one evening and noticed one of the bushes right next to our camp site and quite near (maybe 25-30 feet) from where we cook was "decorated" with toilet paper like tp and crap ribbons on a Christmas tree.

Seems to have been a pretty good place for some idiot to take a dump I guess and let the paper get blown into the bushes ..... what disgusting pigs do this?

Ironically, the bathrooms were less than 100m away .......... unblvbl

so this happens in camp grounds too.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:56 PM

I agree $30. is ok, but I have always budget myself accordingly. What I mean is that I only have so much money monthly, yearly, so if I have to pay more for this, it has to be taken from someone. I afraid it is charities and other donations that will be clawed back again. 30 may not snap the back this time, but add it up over a year and it takes a guys living money away fast.
Old 03-18-2021, 03:57 PM

The 30$ isn’t the end game....the ability to levy a large fine to those who don’t have a permit will be tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 03-18-2021, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blgoodbrand1 View Post
The 30$ isn’t the end game....the ability to levy a large fine to those who don’t have a permit will be tho.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This! And make no mistake, unlike handing out fines for littering they will have no trouble finding people to enforce this.

That being said $30 for the year is reasonable. User pay system. With gas going so be well over a dollar by Summer 30 for a whole year is probably not going to make it break a trip.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:27 PM

Can’t see it Changing much. Just another tax to be paid
Old 03-18-2021, 04:46 PM

Lol and guess who is probably going to be excempt from the fee.
Old 03-18-2021, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bezzola View Post
Lol and guess who is probably going to be excempt from the fee.
Vaxxers?

Oops wrong thread..lol
Old 03-18-2021, 04:54 PM

One more tax for us to enjoy the outdoors while others will probably enjoy it for free. No way do I support it.

Tired of paying the freight only because of the color of my skin.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilt134 View Post
Can’t see it Changing much. Just another tax to be paid
X2, let’s give them our money, it’s for everyone’s good don’t ya know. I’d support harsher fines for those that break the rules. No need for group punishment.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:09 PM

Default fees

I am totally in favor of a minor fee. I only use the backcountry for about two weeks of the year, but it would be nice to see a bit of enforcement to hammer on the slobs. If my thirty bucks goes towards that, it's money well spent!
Have to say, I was back in the carbondale for a week of elk season last year, and all the camp areas seemed in good shape with no blatant pig-styes that a lot of people are complaining about. Even that late in the year, people were really out to enjoy the area and it was FULL! That many people kicking in for maintaining the area should be a good thing.
Old 03-18-2021, 05:25 PM

Just wondering if this is per person or family?Family with 3 kids would be 150.00
Old 03-18-2021, 05:45 PM

Don't even think it. Someone may be watching

Burglar: Aren't you going to call the cops?
Farmer: Why? Nobody knows you're here
Old 03-18-2021, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollGRG View Post
Obviously you are not on a fixed income (pension) that your buddy in Ottawa is trying to take away.

Just to be clear... I do support the $30/yr but not any more than that. The penalties should be directed to the abusers.

Oh ya. Justin and I talked regularly on Facebook.

Give your head a shake.
Old 03-18-2021, 06:32 PM
Gone Hunting

The 30 bux isn't really a big deal. Just another tax that solves nothing, BUt like Mulehan said those same enforcement personnel who struggled to find and fine the litterers will have no problem fining those with no 30 dollar permit.

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 03-18-2021, 06:39 PM

The concept is wonderful yet pigs will be pigs and it will be very tough to monitor. I haven't read it yet does this entitle anyone to pull over anywhere they wish and camp?
Old 03-18-2021, 07:22 PM
Banned

$30 is fair. The fine for littering while random camping should be huge.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:29 PM

It will cost a bundle to follow-up on whomever was at that spot to ticket them. Also, I can see it now. "that litter was there when we got there" Then down the road we go...

Camp in designated spots. Maybe specify 'some' new areas? Yet, that is it.

Mother nature is in enough trouble right now.
Old 03-18-2021, 07:57 PM

Another day, another fee. Unless this fee is super easy to implement, easy to pay for (a few clicks on a smart phone), and the money actually goes to enforcement it’s hard for me to support this. I don’t random camp but is it really then wild west out there? Overall it just sucks these losers go camping, leave a mess, and pretty much force us to have this discussion.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:53 PM

Another tax that will not stop the idiots. There should be a $2000 fine for littering. That might wake a few up.
Old 03-18-2021, 08:56 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Hutchinson View Post
It will cost a bundle to follow-up on whomever was at that spot to ticket them. Also, I can see it now. "that litter was there when we got there" Then down the road we go...

Camp in designated spots. Maybe specify 'some' new areas? Yet, that is it.

Mother nature is in enough trouble right now.
The co's travel through regularly, Stop at each spot and pick one licenced vehicle. Tell them they are responsible for clean up. Have them take pics upon departure, for their protection. If the co finds litter, at least he has something to follow up on. Once this process is established, there will be no 'It was already there".
Old 03-18-2021, 09:18 PM

I think the road tax fuel I pay for my off-road vehicle should go to the outdoors. I think my registration fee for my off highway vehicle should go to the outdoors. Directly
I not for s second think they need to charge a fee for back country use. Once we go down that road it will get worse.
I already pay fees to go hunting, and I buy tags I never intend to use unless I happen to come across the animal by mistake.

I also do the majority of my camping during hunting season. As I spend a week or more out hunting. So now they want me to pay another fee on top of the fees I pay to hunt.

If they have a problem with people leaving garbage, wrecking the trails then start to fine them.

Instead they are to busy handing out no insurance tickets to kids riding 50cc bikes and quads, all under the guise of public safety.

Better use of enforcement out west would go a long ways to dealing with the issues. The government say they are broke, yet when they are rich we dont get a break.
No more fees. We already pay enough.
Old 03-18-2021, 09:33 PM

I don't feel the need to pay to use something I already own.

I don't get why so many others of you feel like you need to give the government more money for what you already give them money for, but hey, give 'er! Those corporations aren't going to subsidize themselves!
Old 03-18-2021, 09:35 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntwat View Post
The co's travel through regularly, Stop at each spot and pick one licenced vehicle. Tell them they are responsible for clean up. Have them take pics upon departure, for their protection. If the co finds litter, at least he has something to follow up on. Once this process is established, there will be no 'It was already there".
To add. Before any fees need to be charged, all areas closed by our last government need to be reopened.