Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 10:34 AM

Default Hi Mountain Jerky Cure & Seasoning

Hi folks just curious as to what flavors and on what meat people have tried from Hi Mountain Jerky Cure and seasoning. They offer a lot and i have tried a few. looking to hear from you as i am always looking for another flavor to add to the mix.

Goose - with both peppered and hickory and both were delicious
Deer - with peppered again perfect combo
Elk - with original and to my surprise original had a good flavor to it.

list the meat and and flavor with your thoughts beside it. Thanks
Old 12-19-2017, 10:42 AM

Deer and moose - Mesquite, with lots of added black pepper.

Didn't care for Cajun, nor did anyone I served it to, which is very strange because I love Cajun cooking.

If you want to get rid of the cure, you can sub in a mix of salt, brown sugar, maple syrup and ketchup. But then it's advisable to keep it refrigerated. I do this for whole muscle jerky, but ground jerky gets exactly what's in the instructions.
Old 12-19-2017, 03:26 PM

I've got some hickory blend goin right now ..I usually buy the trunorth ..but couldn't find any right now ..so fingers are crossed on the hickory flavor
Old 12-19-2017, 03:40 PM

i prefer the lem jerky seasoning.. not as salty

LIFE IS TOUGH.....TOUGHER IF YOU'RE STUPID.-------------------“Women have the right to work wherever they want, as long as they have the dinner ready when you get home”
Old 12-19-2017, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by recce43 View Post
i prefer the lem jerky seasoning.. not as salty
Does anyone know where you can purchase just the “cure” as I have an abundance of seasoning, like to make my own primarily with garlic and cracked pepper
Old 12-19-2017, 04:16 PM

I have used the pretty much all of them except the Jalepeno and Cajun flavours. All are good. Mandarin teriyaki is sneaky good, not as salty. I like the hickory and mesquite ones the best, I add a bit of pepper to them as well. I dehydrate all of mine. A friend used to do the pepper blend and then smoke it. Was really tasty.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:00 PM

Just did 10 lbs. 50/50 moose, pork "Hunters blend" snack sticks like the regular flavour except with a hot red pepper kick. I'll smoke them tomorrow with some hickory pucks.
Old 12-19-2017, 05:44 PM

I usually just make out of moose, I like the hunters blend and always cut back on the cure (salt). Smoke with hickory.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:49 PM

Awesome feedback everyone!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shakeyleg02 View Post
I've got some hickory blend goin right now ..I usually buy the trunorth ..but couldn't find any right now ..so fingers are crossed on the hickory flavor
Hickory is great flavor! I am sure you will enjoy it. what meat are you putting it on?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulecrazy View Post
I have used the pretty much all of them except the Jalepeno and Cajun flavours. All are good. Mandarin teriyaki is sneaky good, not as salty. I like the hickory and mesquite ones the best, I add a bit of pepper to them as well. I dehydrate all of mine. A friend used to do the pepper blend and then smoke it. Was really tasty.
Have you used the spicy lime?? it has me interested but hesitant to try it.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtz View Post
I usually just make out of moose, I like the hunters blend and always cut back on the cure (salt). Smoke with hickory.
reducing the cure is a good idea. is there any special requirements doing that? like longer curing time? etc..
Old 12-19-2017, 07:01 PM

I'm using some Mule deer muscle meat ..the flavor is pretty good .. will definitely cut back on the cure next time .it is a bit salty ..I know the trunorth stuff I used to use only uses 1/4 tsp / lb ..not sure why the HM requires so much more ?
Old 12-19-2017, 07:09 PM

I usually cut the cure in half with beef (probably kill me but you can't win 'em all) I bump up the seasoning a bit when making P&G. Jalapeño and Sweet & Spicy batches on the smoker today. I've bumped both of these flavours a bit twice now and still feel it needs more. Especially the S&S. 20-30 mins of smoke and then remove all pucks. New and used.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:38 PM

Any of you guys try your own sausage with the hi mountain home kit? I have a Bratwurst kit im looking to try out this weekend. The kit calls for a high ratio of pork to wild game. Seems like you might as well juts make pork sausage at 5lbs wild game to 19lbs pork. Do you really need to go this much on the pork or can a guy trim that down a bit. I like the taste of wild game and would rather have more wild game flavour coming through that pork. I understand pork makes it more moist but i dont care about that if its at the cost of the wild game flavour. What are you guys doing?
Old 12-29-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Any of you guys try your own sausage with the hi mountain home kit? I have a Bratwurst kit im looking to try out this weekend. The kit calls for a high ratio of pork to wild game. Seems like you might as well juts make pork sausage at 5lbs wild game to 19lbs pork. Do you really need to go this much on the pork or can a guy trim that down a bit. I like the taste of wild game and would rather have more wild game flavour coming through that pork. I understand pork makes it more moist but i dont care about that if its at the cost of the wild game flavour. What are you guys doing?
Bratwurst is more of a pork sausage anyways. anytime we have made it we use straight pork.
Old 12-29-2017, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugenuge View Post
Awesome feedback everyone!!

Hickory is great flavor! I am sure you will enjoy it. what meat are you putting it on?

Have you used the spicy lime?? it has me interested but hesitant to try it.....

reducing the cure is a good idea. is there any special requirements doing that? like longer curing time? etc..
Just did a batch of deer with the Spicy Lime. I would say you need to almost double the seasoning amount. Just didn't have much flavor but the little bit you could taste was pretty good. I think i'll mess with it a bit before I write it off for good.