Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 01:01 PM

Default Fobs and cold weather

Some friends bought a 2012 Dodge Journey, on boxing day it was -28 they had left it parked for about 6 hours went to start it "key not detected "they left it till the next day. Next day the Journey was plugged in and the temp went up to -20 it started. The dealer told them its common for the newer vehicle's with fob's to have this "key not detected" problem after -15 if its not plugged in.

Sounds like car dealer horse flop to me, anybody else ever have this problem?
Old 12-29-2017, 02:30 PM

Never. Not ever. And I never plug my vehicles in. Sounds like a cop out.
Old 12-29-2017, 02:44 PM

I've heard about it happening here, try another fob or get another made up!
Old 12-29-2017, 02:54 PM

what's not to beleive?

dodge wouldn't start in -28, plug it in over night, then it starts? what's not to believe?
Old 12-29-2017, 03:05 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by makin tracks View Post
what's not to beleive?

dodge wouldn't start in -28, plug it in over night, then it starts? what's not to believe?
Hee Hee Hee
Old 12-29-2017, 03:09 PM

Quote:
what's not to beleive?

Car wouldn't turn over or make any noise display said "key not detected" dealer said it was because the fob won't work if the vehicle was not plugged in.
What has the block heater got to do with the fob?
Old 12-29-2017, 03:35 PM
Banned

Well for Starters it’s a Dodge.

I have a 2015 F-150 with push button start,
Never an issue.

Not sure how,
it’s a “newer” vehicle.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:52 PM

2014 Ram with fob. Never had this issue. Just sat at the airport not plugged in for 7 days. Fired right up on Boxing Day night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-29-2017, 05:00 PM

Default Dodge

If it is a push button start. Push the button using the fob, not your finger, it should then recognize it. This will usually work if the battery in the fob is dead.
Surprised the dealer did not recommend this. Also in the event of a dead battery in the fob. It may not open the doors. If you push the tiny button on the fob, and pull it apart, there is a key inside that will manually open the doors.
Hope this helps
Old 12-29-2017, 05:04 PM

If message said key not detected would start with replacing FOB battery or trying another FOB. The truck doesn't know how cold it is till the ignition is turned on, so the truck never new it was -28 so should have at least lit. up the instrument panel.
Old 12-29-2017, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfman View Post
If message said key not detected would start with replacing FOB battery or trying another FOB. The truck doesn't know how cold it is till the ignition is turned on, so the truck never new it was -28 so should have at least lit. up the instrument panel.
That's what I would think
They tried both fobs, pushing the button, I tried to boost, no clicks or even dash lights would come on just the same message
Old 12-29-2017, 05:43 PM

maybe due to tolerances ? cold it becomes unable to connect, with block heater running the temp increases and you have contact. so far as i see it the sales guy told you the truth as he knows it, , far as i can tell he was right. try it again at -14 and see if it works?

i would question why you would come to a outdoor forum for info rather than find a dodge forum that fits your vehicle. likely more people with the same vehicle and way more chances to find the info that you are looking for.

i prefer less complicated rides with way less electronic gizmos, they just seem to break down a lot less. you results may be different though.

Last edited by makin tracks; 12-29-2017 at 05:52 PM.
Old 12-29-2017, 06:01 PM

Quote:
i would question why you would come to a outdoor forum for info rather than find a dodge forum that fits your vehicle. likely more people with the same vehicle and way more chances to find the info that you are looking for.
When did the general discussion become outdoor only ? LOL
Old 12-29-2017, 06:09 PM

[QUOTE

i would question why you would come to a outdoor forum for info rather than find a dodge forum that fits your vehicle. likely more people with the same vehicle and way more chances to find the info that you are looking for help

May be somebody else on the forum had the same issue, and had a quick fix.
I don’t see a problem with the OP asking a question.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:23 PM

They use the same fobs as the Caravan and they had a recall. My wife's van did the same and needed to tow it there where they replaced the module and 2 fobs at no cost.

Check the vin on Chrysler website to see for any outstanding recalls.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:40 PM

I can't imagine it having anything to do with the temperature.
The fob isn't communicating with the vehicle. I wouldn't accept the excuse they're giving you. Likely end up stranded somewhere, sometime you don't wanna be.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:41 PM

Quote:
maybe due to tolerances ? cold it becomes unable to connect, with block heater running the temp increases and you have contact. so far as i see it the sales guy told you the truth as he knows it, , far as i can tell he was right. try it again at -14 and see if it works?

The Block heater will warm up engine ONLY. To me this does not seem to be an engine contact problem, more of a communication issue with FOB and Module, no changes of temp there with or without block heater plugged in................ What does it hurt to ask a question in any general forum regardless of type of forum?? I'm sure there are many auto techs, plumbers, dentists, welders etc. that can answer a related question in there field without going to a specifics forum. I'll gladly give my $0.02 cents (for free) in the automotive field.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:07 AM

don't see any harm in asking, just thinking it would be more productive to ask on a dodge auto forum, where there is likely to be way more with the same experience.

unless the key fob has been left in the vehicle i would assume that it was in a warm house and the vehicle was the one experiencing the cold temps. thus my train of thought. lol.