Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 01-04-2017, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Exactly. Only reason I do mine is that I lost my wallet......
Did it have a bag of coke, hash and $300 in it?

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:08 AM

I shovel my driveway/sidewalk and my neighbour's, who is seventy some years old. If he is the first one to get to it, then he shovels mine, which I told him not to on numerous occasions, but the guy just keeps at it. He uses a blower if snow is deep enough (which really wasn't in the past couple of years) and does half the block worth of sidewalk when he uses it. I only use a shovel, three-four times a day if necessary, if I am around. I only shovel mine and his, since the neibourgh on my other side never bothers to do squat and he ain't old or disabled.

Some people are just too ******* lazy and have no respect for anyone but themselves, the way I see it. It ain't new though, at least in my town. I remember the days when I had to push the stroller with my daughter in it and had to keep to the roadway most of the time because the tards did not bother keeping their sidewalks clean. There are also some that keep their driveways snow free, but never bother themselves with the sidewalks. I understand though, who gives a **** about others: elderly, people with kids, or anyone else for that matter.

I have an elderly widowed/single lady neighbour living on my streets. Her neighbour, who isn't that young himself, keeps her driveway and sidewalk in tip top shape. During summers, she walks herself up and down the block. In the winter, she sometimes comes to her driveway and walks about two houses down because no one usually shovels beyond that point. Sad but true, as they say.

My parents in Ontario had some new neighbours move in just about ten houses down the street some time in spring (a few years back). Comes the first winter and they don't seem to care about the sidewalk. A couple weeks went by and they shovelled the driveway but not the sidewalk. I am assuming that at that point one of the neighbours has had enough and called the city. The sidewalk was snow free within an hour and the family received a pretty hefty bill for the services provided. Their sidewalks were always snow free ever since.

To me it is just a common sense. And yes, I am all for what was described in the paragraph above: too lazy yourself - pay for someone else to do it; either you find someone or the city/town will find one for you, usually much pricier.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:28 AM

Even though the cardiac rehab program told me not to shovel snow, I still do as it is a good workout. So far, so good although I am contemplating a snowblower if we ever get back to normal snowfall levels.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:32 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I think shoveling sidewalks has become a lost art, seems like 2/3 of the people on my street must have broken backs or shovels or both. Watched one almost eat it when they slipped on their 6" lumpy, bumpy, man made glacier, man are people gettin lazy.
Yup because there is nothing thier phone can do about it, sometimes you gotta get out and do a little bit of labour.

Oh no forgot the phone can be used to make a call to get someone else to do it and if something goes wrong it is thier fault...sad trend eh!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-04-2017, 05:34 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacotensis View Post
Did it have a bag of coke, hash and $300 in it?
It did, it is now less $300 and the wallet is in the dumpster.
Great tip for shovelling snow eh.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 01-04-2017, 05:55 AM
Gone Hunting

Our neighbour has a backpack leaf blower that he brings out as soon as it quits snowing, and does our front sidewalk, the walkway up to the house and our vehicles. I have never asked him to do it, and he refuses payment. I do however, buy him some top drawer rib steaks in the spring for his kind actions. When I still had my blower, I would do the sidewalks & driveways of the seniors around us. I enjoyed doing the work and found it very rewarding(I refused to accept any payment).
Old 01-04-2017, 06:49 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonob1 View Post
Exactly. Only reason I do mine is that I lost my wallet......
Oh my!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
My wife used to get on me as soon as the snow stop hitting the ground to get out there and clean the sidewalk off. For the first few years of marriage I did it just to keep her happy (and quiet).

Then one day I came home and there was an ambulance pulled over a few houses down the block from ours. Paramedics were loading another neighbour from down the street into the back. By the time I parked my truck and walked over they were pulling away. The snow covered sidewalk was a bright red in colour. I was informed by two RCMP that were standing there that the lady from down the street slipped in the snow, fell backwards and hit her head. They were taking pictures of the scene. The sidewalk was clear for some distance and she fell about 10 feet into an uncleared section.

A couple days later I read in the local newspaper how our neighbour fell and hit her head, was transported to emergency and died a few hours later. She left a husband and two teenage kids behind.

I heard that the neighbours two houses over were never charged by the RCMP because they failed to clear the sidewalk in front of their house even though you were responsible for doing so according to the city bylaw. But that didn't stop the family of the lady who fell from bringing a civil case against them. I don't know the outcome of the case but I do that it dragged on for a long time and by the time it was finished they were no longer married.

I've had one of the cleanest sidewalks on whichever street I lived on since.
truly sad
Old 01-04-2017, 09:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergerboy View Post
I wonder if the snow shoveling and lawn maintenance is supposed to be provided by the home owner in their rental contract. That's usually how it goes.
I know the owner of the property...definitely not in their contract...It's been a rental for 10 years now. Two families before the currents tenants, both of whom were very good at keeping walks clear and lawn neat.
The current renters have been their going on two years...they have let the lawn go to pot and as I say they hardly ever shovel.
The owner lives on the coast and comes to visit and check the property every spring...I think she's going to be more than a bit surprised when she sees how bad the lawn/yard looks now.
Odd...they always seem to have time/money to drink beer in the backyard...just never do any maintenance. The only reason I haven't called the authorities is they are fairly quiet.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:46 AM

I'm another picky one about doing the shoveling. Love a nice clean look. My driveway is connected to my elderly neighbors. When the snow stops me and my neighbor 2 doors down will tackle most of our end of the cul-de-sac. I use one of those wide pushers, 2 strokes down the driveway before we leave (finish after work), the front walk and the side walk 1-2 doors down on both sides. Makes life easy.
Everbody knows my pet peeve is tire tracks on an undone drive way. My sister was the dd on new years, and asked before she pulled up if it was okay after the snow dusting....message received!!

Last edited by nast70; 01-04-2017 at 09:54 AM.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:59 AM

Usually keep mine clear, but until the city comes to clean up the massive mess they pushed up onto the sidewalk along my entire sidewalk its not happening.

Not worried about anyone slipping as they would have to climb up a 4-5 foot rock hard and iced up snowbank first to get on the sidewalk path.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2017, 12:09 PM

Default Stihl Power Sweep

Picked up a stihl weedwacker/power sweep combo, a couple years ago. Works great.

https://youtu.be/7agygTzqeDc

PB43
Old 01-04-2017, 12:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post
Usually keep mine clear, but until the city comes to clean up the massive mess they pushed up onto the sidewalk along my entire sidewalk its not happening.

Not worried about anyone slipping as they would have to climb up a 4-5 foot rock hard and iced up snowbank first to get on the sidewalk path.

Sent from my SM-G925W8 using Tapatalk
I just shovel it right back in the road
Old 01-04-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Shoveling snow, cutting lawns, tidying your property, painting fences etc. If you don't have the time, ability or money to do it, don't buy a house.
Or hire somebody to do it for you.
Old 01-04-2017, 12:51 PM

In cow town I find rental properties are terrible. The guys do not shovel snow and do not cut their grass. You can walk down a street and it is always the same houses that never shovel or take care of the property. I talked to one guy who stated it's not his property but the landlords so he is not doing anything.
Old 01-04-2017, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ren008 View Post

Not sure were you are, but in Calgary, the City says you are responsible for that mess too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
I just shovel it right back in the road
And they say you are not supposed to do that. They want you to shovel it onto your lawn.

As Mel Brooks said, "It's good to be the king."

ARG

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjemac View Post
It has been scientifically proven that a 308 round will not leave your property -- they essentially fall dead at the fence line. But a 38 round, when fired from a handgun, will of its own accord leave your property and destroy any small schools nearby.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post
Not sure were you are, but in Calgary, the City says you are responsible for that mess too.

And they say you are not supposed to do that. They want you to shovel it onto your lawn.

ARG
I know I'm not, but, when my 80 yo mom comes to visit she has safe place to park and walk, the clown who runs the plow in our town seems to think the plow is his own personal smoke pit, never seen him drop the blade or fire up the sander, must be nice to get paid to drive around and smoke, that snow is just for him, should he ever figure how to use the hydraulics on that thing!
Old 01-04-2017, 06:12 PM

What do you all think about the city/town being responsible for sidewalk snow removal?
It is standard practice in many let's say more fiscally responsible places and with the taxes we pay there is no reason why it should not be.
I moved to a town about 2.5 yrs ago that does just that and I gotta say it's pretty dang sweet to see a little value for my $ once in awhile.
Almost makes up for the p.o.s garbage collection system they switched to compliments of g.f.l
Old 01-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by couleefolk View Post
Sounds like you believe that if someone has a different perspective than you do that automatically makes them wrong. Maybe the people that want their neighbors to live exactly the way you expect them to should move to a better neighborhood. My nearest neighbor is .25 miles away, and if he has an old house it is not for me to tell him to build new. We had one hermit living in the nearby village that apparently had buckets full of cigarette butts in his house, along with his chickens and goats and a few rats, plywood nailed on the sides of his house, but no one ever seemed to stop him from living that way, it's called minding your own business.
Ok so now he lives 10 feet from you in the city, which this thread is about, and his crappy run down house makes it so you cant sell yours unless you drop the price 20 grand. Or your kids have to walk on the street because he wont shovel his walks. You comments are appreciated however they have absolutely nothing to do with this post. Any neighbor that does or does not do things that are required by law and it bugs you its certainly not a time to mind your own business.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Au revoir, Gopher View Post

ARG
You're wrong on this. Any snow that is located on a path or sidewalk that is adjacent to the road and a resident is responsible for clearing can be placed onto the road. The bylaw that covers this is 20M88
Old 01-04-2017, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musk e View Post
What do you all think about the city/town being responsible for sidewalk snow removal?
It is standard practice in many let's say more fiscally responsible places and with the taxes we pay there is no reason why it should not be.
I moved to a town about 2.5 yrs ago that does just that and I gotta say it's pretty dang sweet to see a little value for my $ once in awhile.
Almost makes up for the p.o.s garbage collection system they switched to compliments of g.f.l
You know what it takes for the city to clear all sidewalks? Lots of manpower and lots of machines. To shovel your 75' of sidewalk is nothing compared to thousand kilometers if the city had to maintain. And if everyone pitches in it will be cleared in no time.

You also need to remember to get value for your dollar the city already makes sure that you get clean drinking water to your house and what ever you dump down the sewer it is not your problem, Also they make sure that they haul your trash to the dump and I could go on and on.
Old 01-04-2017, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordtruckin View Post
Personally I take it as a matter of pride to keep your walk cleaned.
You and me both.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM
Banned

Old 01-04-2017, 07:00 PM

With regard to the City plowing snow onto your sidewalk. (Calgary)
Quote:
8. What happens if I move my car and the snow gets plowed onto my sidewalk?

In some cases, excess snow may end up on the sidewalk after plowing. Citizens can call 311 and Roads will evaluate the location and remove the snow from the sidewalk as required.
http://www.calgary.ca/Transportation...-bans-FAQ.aspx

With regard to shoveling snow onto City streets.
Quote:
(7) The owner or occupant of a parcel of land adjacent to a Street may remove ice and
snow from the Sidewalk or Pathway adjacent to the parcel and place it on the
Roadway or Boulevard of a Street but shall not remove any ice or snow from the
rest of the parcel and place it on the Roadway or Boulevard of a Street.
67-7 from
http://www.calgary.ca/CA/city-clerks...88-Streets.pdf

Shovel away!!!
Old 01-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Banned

Quote:
I disagree. Whats next, the city has to cut my lawn? Most lawns in the city are partly on city property.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobtodrick View Post
I know where you're coming from.
Not to turn this into another 'bash the young people', but at 62 I shovel my walk (and the widow ladies next door) before and after work, if necessary.
The house on the other side of mine is a rental and home to five 20 somethings...all pretty fit looking and they shovel their walk twice a winter, if that.

I am with you on this one. I wear out a shovel every year....Several neighbors need the assistance and I like the exercise.

My neighbor on the other side of me is a new Canadian.....errrr I mean simply, a lazy guy. Weeds and long grass in the summer and a snow pack driveway/sidewalk in the winter.

He and his family; kids 13-17 and guests walk up my cleared driveway to their door.....Arrrrg.

It is a kids lost revenue. I remember walking several blocks after a fresh show fall shoveling walks for $.25 each.
Thankfully there were no driveways back then.

Good thread........

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
Call it pride. I also call it basic civic duty.

Colin
x2
Old 01-04-2017, 07:05 PM

Of course it would take a lot of machines and manpower.
But only a fraction of what is wasted by many incompetent or corrupt citys.
many places manage to provide this service for its citizens includimg my town so it is doable for them somehow is all I am saying.
Winnipeg is another place that does this or did anyhow I can not confirm off hand if they still do.
I am sure Edmonton could as well if they cut back on the little things like building arenas for billionaires for instance.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Of course it would take a lot of machines and manpower.
But only a fraction of what is wasted by many incompetent or corrupt citys.
many places manage to provide this service for its citizens includimg my town so it is doable for them somehow is all I am saying.
Winnipeg is another place that does this or did anyhow I can not confirm off hand if they still do.
I am sure Edmonton could as well if they cut back on the little things like building arenas for billionaires for instance.
That resource is called an inmate. Word has it there are buildings full of them in the province with nothing on their minds.

We have two lives: The life we learn with and the life we live with after that.
Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 PM

god put it there god can get rid of it
shoot where their
going not where they been,