Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-29-2017, 07:33 PM

Default Awareness at the airport

Some of you may be aware of this,but. Went to On. to visit. Have been looking for a bolt for my.303 for some time now and found one at Elwood Epps he said it should fit but if not I could return for a full refund. On the way back I was detained by the CTSA and two police officers were called in regards to the bolt. The police took my info but as far as they were concerned there was no problem. However the ctsa considered it a part of a weapon and wanted it confiscated the police refused. After several calls to ctsa supervisors they did take the bolt. After 6 agents 2 police and 1 airport safety officer they took the bolt. From bits of conversation I overheard the police and safety officer thought it was foolishness. However the bottom line seemed to be that it was part of a weapon and would not be allowed. The police did not take the bolt it was the ctsa agents. I could have gone out and stored the bolt and have someone come and ship it but time was now getting short and my son would have had a 2 hour drive to get it plus then ship it so I left it to be destroyed I guess. Still no bolt for me.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob A View Post
Some of you may be aware of this,but. Went to On. to visit. Have been looking for a bolt for my.303 for some time now and found one at Elwood Epps he said it should fit but if not I could return for a full refund. On the way back I was detained by the CTSA and two police officers were called in regards to the bolt. The police took my info but as far as they were concerned there was no problem. However the ctsa considered it a part of a weapon and wanted it confiscated the police refused. After several calls to ctsa supervisors they did take the bolt. After 6 agents 2 police and 1 airport safety officer they took the bolt. From bits of conversation I overheard the police and safety officer thought it was foolishness. However the bottom line seemed to be that it was part of a weapon and would not be allowed. The police did not take the bolt it was the ctsa agents. I could have gone out and stored the bolt and have someone come and ship it but time was now getting short and my son would have had a 2 hour drive to get it plus then ship it so I left it to be destroyed I guess. Still no bolt for me.
Are you not telling us that the bolt was in your carry on baggage? Put it in your checked baggage and all is good.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:47 PM

Default Not what I was told

I asked that. The agent said it would have been picked up by a scanner. However a different agent there were six said it may have gone through.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:57 PM

Quote:
I asked that. The agent said it would have been picked up by a scanner. However a different agent there were six said it may have gone through.
You can travel with rifles, guns, bows, machetes and knives in your checked baggage...
Old 12-29-2017, 08:01 PM

Default True

True but arrangements must be made first. I did not realize a piece of steel would not be allowed, when now some knives are.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:08 PM

Sometimes common sense isn't very common. One overly ambitious person is all that it takes to make something out of nothing.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:09 PM

Default It can be a big hassle.

I tried to buy a firing pin for an old 870 shotgun in the USA and have it shipped to Canada, no dice! The part costs $1.50 and looks like a nail.

I was lucky enough to be able to buy one here.
Old 12-29-2017, 08:22 PM

Quote:
True but arrangements must be made first. I did not realize a piece of steel would not be allowed, when now some knives are.
To customs it's a part of a weapon, first question where's the rest of it. If you would have put it in your checked baggage it wouldn't have been a problem, usually if they find a small knife or something you forgot in your carry on they charge $1-2 a day until you make arrangements to pick it up.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:17 PM

Default I'll know better

Not complaining and probably should have known better. Just posted so maybe someone else wouldn't get stuck.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:18 PM

had a big to do at yeg a few years ago over a .38 special casing with a bullet in it . no primer and a hole through the shell for the key ring . basically a piece of scrap to anyone who knows anything about bullets but had to surrender it after a huge interrogation by multiple security agents . gives a guy the warm and fuzzies knowing these guys are looking out for our best interests when we fly .
Old 12-29-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNP View Post
You can travel with rifles, guns, bows, machetes and knives in your checked baggage...
Quote:
awarenesss..................no arrangements are necessary to carry a bolt in your checked baggage. As usual this thread is going sideways......customs is not involved and neither is international online shopping.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:37 AM

It will be interesting if CTSA now has a "file" on you. Next time you fly, note if they give you a little "special" attention. A buddy of mine had a disagreement with a young CTSA person over bringing a Marcum fish finder in his carry on and has found that he is seems to garner more attention when he flies.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:55 AM

That's a lousy thing to have happen but not really surprising these days.

An acquaintance of mine went through airport security with the latest copy of Guns and Ammo Magazine in his carry on luggage to read on the flight and they stopped him because he had a 'gun magazine' on him.......
Old 12-30-2017, 08:16 AM

I am still stunned by the idiocy of these people, or maybe they are just beiing A-holes about the whole thing.
I used to wear a C.I.L. pin on my hat that was shaped like a bullet, with the logo on it. the danged thing is not even 1/2" long.
The only thing that even LOOKS like a bullet is the shape - it's simply a pin for one's lapel, hat , shooting vest, etc. with their logo stamped into the side
I was told I could not fly with the "bullet"!!
I said "It's not a bullet it is a hat pin!"
"It's a bullet, it looks like a bullet so it is a bullet. If you want to get on the plane you will have to take it off"
You just can't make stuff up!
IDJITS!!
Cat
Old 12-30-2017, 08:17 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Ok so one bolt,one fella, six agents....when does this hit Netflix?

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2017, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Ok so one bolt,one fella, six agents....when does this hit Netflix?

Netflix could get an entire series about strange things happening at airport security!
Old 12-30-2017, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobinthesky View Post
Netflix could get an entire series about strange things happening at airport security!

It's been done
Old 12-30-2017, 08:52 AM

These are the same morons who said my laptop was “too heavy” to just be a laptop and were considering taking it apart to find the drugs I must have put inside. Despite having done their swab test, which amazingly enough, doesn’t really alarm off explosive components

I also had them threaten to confiscate my keychain since it “looks like a knife on the X-ray”.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fallen1817 View Post

It's been done

I'll bet it doesn't show the instances we've been talking about.
Old 12-30-2017, 08:56 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteout View Post
These are the same morons who said my laptop was “too heavy” to just be a laptop and were considering taking it apart to find the drugs I must have put inside. Despite having done their swab test, which amazingly enough, doesn’t really alarm off explosive components

I also had them threaten to confiscate my keychain since it “looks like a knife on the X-ray”.
Ewwww you on the radar

Every time we travel, which is every year, I get the complete step aside, extra attention....all good by me....wife just shakes her head....I tell her it's because I am sooooo goooood looking they all wanna frisk me!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-30-2017, 09:02 AM

Years ago, but after 9/11, I was flying to Vancouver and planned to do a little steelheading and cuttie fly fishing after visiting relatives. So I packed my Silex and five fly reels, all loaded with lines, in a carry-on bag. No hooks or knives, they were all in checked baggage. Uh, uh said security, had to be checked in. Boy was I nervous at the carousels but they made in there and back.
Old 12-30-2017, 09:03 AM

I inadvertently left a single .223 round in my knapsack which was then found after going through the scanner at YYC. No biggie, left the round with ctsa, went on my way. No "special" attention thereafter.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:07 AM

Most major airports have a self serve fed ex station at security for shipping banned items. I'm surprised they did not direct you to that. Then again...