Canadaís Outdoor Outfitters Wholesale Sports

Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 07-03-2018, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave99 View Post
Agreed. I am very conscious about picking calorie-rich foods to keep the weight down in my pack. I have not been able to bring my daily food rations to under 1.7lbs per day without really forcing myself to go hungry, which is something that I am not willing to do.

If your food rations keep you going even at 1.1lbs per day, thatís great. I know would not have the energy and drive without the extra fuel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks guys, and other suggestions for what else to add? Jerky comes to mind but anything else? I definitely will have to add more. The last two scouting trips I brought a couple extra bars per day. Having only 2000-2500 is calories is ok for a day of two but I'm sure after that I would be feeling tired.
Old 07-03-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshT View Post
Thanks guys, and other suggestions for what else to add? Jerky comes to mind but anything else? I definitely will have to add more. The last two scouting trips I brought a couple extra bars per day. Having only 2000-2500 is calories is ok for a day of two but I'm sure after that I would be feeling tired.
Peanut butter, bacon, and honey on raisin bread...generous portions. Look at calories when you buy your bread and use thick cut bacon. The raisins keep your bread moist and the sandwiches will be fine for a week unrefrigerated. You can work them to about 1200 cals each. 2x per day, plus a generous cup of Costco trail mix for 1000 cals, plus a couple protein bars and a few other packable snacks. Heavier than some foods, but no jet boil required...
Instead of coffee I take a pre-workout with caffeine - mtn ops yeti in green apple tastes decent first thing in the morning.

This is for early season, will take mr noodles and a jet boil late season, along with some tea bags. Still use preworkout for coffee, it helps get my arse going in the morning lol.
Old 07-03-2018, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Peanut butter, bacon, and honey on raisin bread...generous portions. Look at calories when you buy your bread and use thick cut bacon. The raisins keep your bread moist and the sandwiches will be fine for a week unrefrigerated. You can work them to about 1200 cals each. 2x per day, plus a generous cup of Costco trail mix for 1000 cals, plus a couple protein bars and a few other packable snacks. Heavier than some foods, but no jet boil required..
When I used to ultra-run this is very close to what I would take for big runs. Peanut butter sandwiches, salted mini-potatoes with bacon, trail mix, and some kind of bar for when I needed a quick pick-me-up and maybe some chocolate or whatever for fun.

Would also have some kind of electrolyte whatever in my water like a little gatoraid, coconut water, or nuun tablets.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Peanut butter, bacon, and honey on raisin bread...generous portions. Look at calories when you buy your bread and use thick cut bacon. The raisins keep your bread moist and the sandwiches will be fine for a week unrefrigerated. You can work them to about 1200 cals each. 2x per day, plus a generous cup of Costco trail mix for 1000 cals, plus a couple protein bars and a few other packable snacks. Heavier than some foods, but no jet boil required...
Instead of coffee I take a pre-workout with caffeine - mtn ops yeti in green apple tastes decent first thing in the morning.

This is for early season, will take mr noodles and a jet boil late season, along with some tea bags. Still use preworkout for coffee, it helps get my arse going in the morning lol.
some new tricks there, thanks

The Unofficially Official DEER CLUB for BOWHUNTERS.
Any combination of deer species
P&Y measuring standards, Net Inches Only
Meeting the P&Y minimums to qualify
Up to 7 deer totalling 1000" or higher
1000 is Level 1, 2000, 3000...is attainable!

1000 Club w/6, also 700 Muley Club(w/bow), 1 deer away from 2000 Club!
Old 07-11-2018, 08:16 PM

Here's a tip I wish I would have thought of a long time ago.
I'm always uncertain of how much fuel to bring for my stove. So I started just scratching a tally mark on the fuel canister after each time I boil. When the cans run out I'll be able to know how many boils I get from the different size canisters

Ithe wouldn't work well if you cook food, but all I do is boil water and usually about the same amount each time.
Old 07-12-2018, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast_pass88 View Post
Here's a tip I wish I would have thought of a long time ago.
I'm always uncertain of how much fuel to bring for my stove. So I started just scratching a tally mark on the fuel canister after each time I boil. When the cans run out I'll be able to know how many boils I get from the different size canisters

Ithe wouldn't work well if you cook food, but all I do is boil water and usually about the same amount each time.
As a general rule, a 100 gram fuel can, boils 12 litres or maybe 900 ml of water, thats my info from past trips