Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-28-2014, 11:32 AM

"From a safe and respectful distance" ????

Firstly...If he was at a safe and respectful distance to start... Why didn't he remove himself from the situation when the "safe and respectful distance" started closing. IE. When the young bull started to move towards him.

Secondly... Did anyone else notice, or think he was making the situation WORSE by provoking the Elk by sticking the camera in his face trying to get photos still...

moron...
Old 07-10-2014, 02:42 PM

lol some people go to far
Old 07-19-2014, 08:08 PM

Oh wow , what an experience!
Old 07-22-2014, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverbc View Post
btw...that young elk was put down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGQExgOxZMQ
Quote:
"My first thoughts were "wow, he's getting pretty damn close here." But I've been up close before without incident. I hoped being still and passive would see him pass on. When he lowered his antlers to me, I wanted to keep my vitals protected and my head down. I felt that standing up would provoke him more and leave me more vulnerable to goring. I think that while protecting myself with my head down, having my head down was a signal that I was rutting with him. I was concerned at first, but when he started rearing back and lunging at me later on, I got scared and ****ed off. That's when I wagged my finger at him to cut that **** out. I was relieved to see the Ranger coming.

So I guess at some point if the Ranger hadn't of pulled up, I would have had to disengage the best I could. I've joked with my friends that at least he took me for a buck and not a cow!"
From the description. Thanks for the link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyzinger View Post
Wow he's lucky to have walked away from that one. I kept expecting one of those spikes to nail him.
I was kind of hoping. Although its really the person shooting the video that is a knucklehead. They had an easy shot at fixing this situation. At least the photographer can claim he didn't want to make it worse by standing up. Although the swaggering way that he smiles his stupid grin makes me think he was just being a moron. And he obviously knew what he was doing lowering his head like that. If he was really trying to protect himself he'd be on his back using his legs. Or sprinting to the nearby vehicles.