Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-06-2018, 11:12 PM

Default Salmon Kitimat river BC

The Kitimat river BC Is a river with very few rapids,the salmon not easy to catch, and a few 20 pounders plus are caught, a size limit of 80 cm. The fast moveing water a challenge for the fly fisherman, sinking lines a must, the 14-18 ft rods a thing of beauty in the hands of the experienced, I saw salmon hooked and landed, and released, by these sportsman. The river has a drift service,but the river easy to access by foot---Eight days on the river was just not long enough.
Old 07-07-2018, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
The Kitimat river BC Is a river with very few rapids,the salmon not easy to catch, and a few 20 pounders plus are caught, a size limit of 80 cm. The fast moveing water a challenge for the fly fisherman, sinking lines a must, the 14-18 ft rods a thing of beauty in the hands of the experienced, I saw salmon hooked and landed, and released, by these sportsman. The river has a drift service,but the river easy to access by foot---Eight days on the river was just not long enough.
Nice! That sounds pretty much awesome to me. How did you do?

I've fished the Skeena and Bulkley but never the Kitimat but always thought about it. Picked up my first double handed spey road this year at 13.5 feet...only problem is...I don't know how to spey cast yet
Old 07-07-2018, 08:20 AM

Quote:
18' rod on the Kiti?
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 AM

Default spey rods

Met salmon fisherman on the Kitimat,from all over, some expert with the spey rod,a pleasure to watch them cast this rod ,long distance.My fishing pard has one, I tryed it for the 1st time,for sure not as easy as it looks,took a little while to get a modest cast.As luck would have it a young girl well know for her casting ability with the spey was fishing next to me--wow a thing of beauty, saw her hook a salmon at incredible distance--got to have one for my next trip--.But 1st a 9 week period in a Northern ont wilderness bear camp.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:57 AM

Default spey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Nice! That sounds pretty much awesome to me. How did you do?

I've fished the Skeena and Bulkley but never the Kitimat but always thought about it. Picked up my first double handed spey road this year at 13.5 feet...only problem is...I don't know how to spey cast yet
A few days on the Kitimat would solve that ----. The skeena was closed, I think until july 15.The main bridge in kitimat has excellant access to the river, with lots and lots of room for everybody,see those big boys roll at point blank range,soooo good for the fly fisherman.
Old 07-07-2018, 12:50 PM

Quote:
A few days on the Kitimat would solve that ----. The skeena was closed, I think until july 15.The main bridge in kitimat has excellant access to the river, with lots and lots of room for everybody,see those big boys roll at point blank range,soooo good for the fly fisherman.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg giphy.jpg (24.2 KB, 307 views)
Old 07-07-2018, 01:49 PM

Years back.... I fished the Kitimat. Caught a beauty fresh run Chinook. Swinging a spoon.

42lbs

And it had white flesh when cooked up.

I’d love to get back there some day.
"I don't always troll, only on days that end in Y."
Old 07-07-2018, 09:27 PM

Default Salmon Fishing

I have fished down South for Salmon and up North too. But to think that the Skeena River would be entirely closed to Salmon fishing would have been unheard of. Will be interesting to see what happens on July 15th. DFO in my opinion has totally lost control of this fishery and hopefully this is rock bottom for the Salmon fishery. Regardless a task force should be set up to find out what is happening to the North Coast salmon in the ocean. Because if numbers keep on dwindling believe me there won't be any Salmon to fish for in the next 10 to fifteen years.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:48 PM

Make sure you keep your stuff locked up in Kitimat. Not doing so can be an expensive mistake.
Old 07-08-2018, 09:37 AM

Default salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by britman101 View Post
I have fished down South for Salmon and up North too. But to think that the Skeena River would be entirely closed to Salmon fishing would have been unheard of. Will be interesting to see what happens on July 15th. DFO in my opinion has totally lost control of this fishery and hopefully this is rock bottom for the Salmon fishery. Regardless a task force should be set up to find out what is happening to the North Coast salmon in the ocean. Because if numbers keep on dwindling believe me there won't be any Salmon to fish for in the next 10 to fifteen years.
The week I was there, they found a net across the skeena, total closure only a matter of time. It was hook and release only on the kitimat until july 1st, pressure from the drifters, and local businesses, because of loss business forced a one salmon limit of 80cm---only a matter of time until total closure province wide.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:22 AM

Default stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckShooter View Post
Make sure you keep your stuff locked up in Kitimat. Not doing so can be an expensive mistake.
As well as all of Alberta.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:24 AM

Default Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
Do I see green, yes for sure I do--------------
Old 07-11-2018, 02:49 PM

Default Kitimat

Quote:
Originally Posted by bessiedog View Post
Years back.... I fished the Kitimat. Caught a beauty fresh run Chinook. Swinging a spoon.

42lbs

And it had white flesh when cooked up.

I’d love to get back there some day.
The kitimat now has a 80cm size limit---you would have to release that big boy---just hate to see a grow man cry-----
Old 07-13-2018, 03:28 AM

Default Kitimat River

A fellow who was rafting the Kitimat drowned this week and they have recovered the body. He was not wearing a life jacket, so be careful out there, especially with the higher than normal water levels.