Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-09-2017, 09:33 PM

Default Longbow and recurve arrow making

Just wondering if anyone has any experience making there own arrows and what kit they would recommend or any tips on it?

New to recurve and buddy has a longbow so looking into making our own arrows as we target shoot and like take people out as well.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymaker View Post
Just wondering if anyone has any experience making there own arrows and what kit they would recommend or any tips on it?

New to recurve and buddy has a longbow so looking into making our own arrows as we target shoot and like take people out as well.
Do you mean assembling arrows? Because I don't think you want to go down the road of making shafts just yet.

Check out www.3riversarchery.com They have both wooden and carbon arrows. They also have an arrow spine kit. For seeing which spine (stiffness) of arrow your bow likes.
They have fletching jigs, fletches, nocks, points, etc.

They're truly the best source that I've found for all things traditional.

Or, if you live in yyc, go to Calgary Archery Centre. They stock a ton of trad stuff. Most of which they buy from 3Rivers!

Calgary Archery Centre has a trad night every Friday. There are some truly talented trad archers there. Also lots of nerds! LOL.

Cheers
John
www.highlanderhunting.podbean.com
Old 08-12-2017, 04:39 PM

If you want to build your own shafts you only need a dowel cutter and a compression block like these.

Problem is you have to cut a lot of shafts to get enough with the same consistent spine. We also don't have a lot of good arrow wood around Alberta but tamarack works pretty good.

If you just want to assemble arrows I used to buy my shafts from surewood arrows and they are among the best in the business... Unless you can find some of the old forgewood shafts from days gone by.

If your making your own fletching just use the primary feathers from a few Canadian honkers as they make some very durable, extremely waterproof fletching although I'm still partial to an unprocessed wild turkey feather as they're at least as durable as a commercial vane and provide much more guidance over a large broadhead while simultaneously weighing less and looking better.

Goose

Turkey

If you need a dowel cutter and compression block I would sell mine as I dropped out of Trad a few years ago when we started having kids.
Old 08-12-2017, 06:48 PM

In the past I have made footed shafts from boughten cedar shafts , natural wood arrows from the bush ,tapered shafts and built arrows from every shaft type available .
It was fun and enjoyable at the same time
Cat