Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Default License info needed!

Tried to google for info and can't find a straight answer - although my internet savvy may be a bit limited. Figured I would ask here before phoning fish and wildlife.

The zone I hunt in has a general season for either sex whitetail, archery only general tags for either sex mule deer, archery only general tags for either sex elk, and an archery season for either sex whitetail (wmu 234). I have a draw tag for mule doe. 90% of the deer I have taken in the last 20 years have been between 50-100yds so I figured I would practice up and try a bow this year for the first time.

Can I take a whitetail in the archery only season and another in the rifle season? Can I take a mule doe on a general tag in the archery only season and then fill my draw tag in the rifle season? New to the bowhunting world so I just want to clear on what the rules are.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-23-2017, 11:22 PM

As I understand it and I am 98% sure of this. No on the two whitetail. Yes on the mule deer. Read the section of the regs that lays out how many of what types of licenses a resident can hold. Page 19 in the paper regs. You can have 1 General whitetail hunt either archery or rifle with that tag no supplemental tags for that unit. You can purchase a general Mule deer tag and hunt either antlered or antlerless in that WMU during archery. Your Antlerless Mule deer draw is good for the rifle season also something I just learned I have the same draw for a different WMU you can also use that tag during the archery season.

Last edited by Freerider; 08-23-2017 at 11:31 PM.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:47 AM

what zone is your mule deer special license for? 234?
Old 08-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The moose View Post
what zone is your mule deer special license for? 234?
Yep. For 234
Old 08-24-2017, 08:16 AM

Archery only SEASONS and General SEASONS are what you are working with.

If you have an antlerless special license, it's valid during both types of SEASON until you use it.

You cannot hold more than one license valid for antlered mule deer at one time.

So you cannot have an antlered special license and a resident mule deer license at the same time in the same year.

You can only hold one resident whitetail license at a time, supplemental license is not available in 234.

LC
Old 08-24-2017, 08:24 AM

No for whitetail. Yes for mule deer if your special license is an antler-less, no if antlered. The system wont let you buy conflicting tags so i suggest you just go purchase them and then you will know what you have and don't have for both seasons.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughgoat View Post
No for whitetail. Yes for mule deer if your special license is an antler-less, no if antlered. The system wont let you buy conflicting tags so i suggest you just go purchase them and then you will know what you have and don't have for both seasons.
If you do that purchase them in the order of importance...because some lesser importance ones (depending on your scale of importance) will cancel out the options to buy the others.

LC
Old 08-24-2017, 08:47 AM

Look under the License Costs and Combinations section of the Regs. It's all there.

Don't confuse seasons with licenses.

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-24-2017 at 08:52 AM.
Old 08-24-2017, 08:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
If you do that purchase them in the order of importance...because some lesser importance ones (depending on your scale of importance) will cancel out the options to buy the others.

LC
How so? You need to buy the general mule before the special?
Old 08-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Banned

OP, if you really want to try and put more deer in your freezer then you can do so by travelling to some different WMU's. You are allowed more than one resident Whitetail tag but not if you only hunt 234.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:18 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post

LC
I'm trying to figure out how the order you buy your tags will affect other tag purchaces. I can see that happening if you screw up on your draw applications, but once all the draws are awarded the system should automatically lock you out of buying a wrong tag. If you try to buy a general mule deer tag and you have been drawn for a special Antlered Mule deer, then system won't sell you the general. I think it works like that for all the tags. I have an antlerless moose draw this year, so I'm sure if I tried to buy a General Moose tag, system would not allow it.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
I'm trying to figure out how the order you buy your tags will affect other tag purchaces. I can see that happening if you screw up on your draw applications, but once all the draws are awarded the system should automatically lock you out of buying a wrong tag. If you try to buy a general mule deer tag and you have been drawn for a special Antlered Mule deer, then system won't sell you the general. I think it works like that for all the tags. I have an antlerless moose draw this year, so I'm sure if I tried to buy a General Moose tag, system would not allow it.
Lefty Canucks advice is sound.
The system will let you purchase either. But once you choose the other will be locked out. Unfortunately some will opt out of their draw and purchase the general license, they then will be locked out of the drawn license. There was a thread last year about a fellow that bought a general license for elk to bowhunt in a specific WMU in the archery season, but then was unable to buy his drawn license for another WMU.
So be careful about how you go about purchasing the license.

OP the short and quick of it. No to the whitetail, only one for either Archery and General season. You can Purchase both general and your antlerless special license. You may hunt both during the Archery season in WMU 234, but only your special antlerless during the general season.

MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-24-2017, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC View Post
The system will let you purchase either. But once you choose the other will be locked out. Unfortunately some will opt out of their draw and purchase the general license, they then will be locked out of the drawn license. There was a thread last year about a fellow that bought a general license for elk to bowhunt in a specific WMU in the archery season, but then was unable to buy his drawn license for another WMU.

OP the short and quick of it. No to the whitetail, only one for either Archery and General season. You can Purchase both general and your antlerless special license. You may hunt both during the Archery season in WMU 234, but only your special antlerless during the general season.

MAC
You sure Mac? I thought Ninja had it right. Would seem to be a flaw in the system if they allowed you to buy a general tag when you had been drawn for a special license that would normally prohibit also getting a general. That would seem to simply allow people to abuse the draw system, drawing but not buying and still getting another tag. If true it seems a loophole that should be closed.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:57 AM

Quote:

MAC
We no longer have the option of not purchasing the special license, in order to purchase a general tag. They stopped allowing that a few years ago.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
You sure Mac? I thought Ninja had it right. Would seem to be a flaw in the system if they allowed you to buy a general tag when you had been drawn for a special license that would normally prohibit also getting a general. That would seem to simply allow people to abuse the draw system, drawing but not buying and still getting another tag. If true it seems a loophole that should be closed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
We no longer have the option of not purchasing the special license, in order to purchase a general tag. They stopped allowing that a few years ago.
I may be wrong, I have never run up against it myself. I buy what I draw.
I do know it was at some point.
MAC

Save time... see it my way
Old 08-24-2017, 10:25 AM

Quote:
I may be wrong, I have never run up against it myself. I buy what I draw.
I do know it was at some point.
MAC
This did happen in the past, but to stop people from preventing others from drawing, and then not purchasing the tags themselves,and letting the tags go to waste, they stopped allowing this.
Old 08-24-2017, 10:28 AM

Yah that doesn't make sense. They make you hunt on your special tag and you can't buy general.
Old 08-24-2017, 07:17 PM

Thanks to everyone for the replies!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:25 PM

Default draws vs general

If you draw a mule doe tag but not the buck you will have the option of purchasing the general tag and your draw tag. The catch is that normally the general mule tag in the archery season is good for either the buck or doe but since you have a draw for mule doe you must use your draw tag on a doe regardless of when or how it was taken. And of course the draw tag is exclusive to the drawn WMU. Therefore the general mule in this particular case is only good on an open season mule buck. So you can only have one mule buck one mule doe. So the drawn doe tag is the only one applicable to the Nov draw season not the buck and not a second doe. However you can still archery hunt the doe in Sept and Oct. The general Whitetail is good for either buck or doe and is good during archery and rifle seasons but is still only good for one deer.