Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-23-2017, 11:02 PM

Default Corporate Land - can it be hunted?

I've tried to look a bit, but I can't find much information about the opportunity to hunt on corporate land in Alberta? First off, is it possible? And secondly,I assume I would contact the company and ask them directly, but does anyone know if there are specific individuals to ask for this information?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2017, 11:26 PM

I'd venture that most deeded land in Alberta is "corporate". Yes with permission you can hunt it.

Could you be a bit more specific about what you're talking about? To hunt my neighbors " corporate" land I call the house and ask permission. To hunt Transalta corporate land would take a bit more effort.

"I find it interesting that some folk will pay to use a range, use a golf course, use a garage bay but think landowners should have to give permission for free. Do these same people think hookers should be treated like landowners?" pitw
Old 08-23-2017, 11:50 PM

Any corporate land is private land and the same regulations will apply as if the land belonged an individual or a partnership or any other means of ownership other than public. There is no question about this part.

I would assume that you are talking about ABC Farming Ltd. (in general) and if this is the case, the permission you are looking for can be obtained from the main shareholder, president or a director of the corporation, which at least 7 out of 10 times is the same person. The reaming 3 out of 10 times it is the person's spouse (or the ownership is split 50/50 among the two).

If you are talking about some large corporation, and I do not mean large according to the amount of land that they own, you will have more difficult times finding an individual to ask for permission since you will not be able to contact that individual directly. I doubt that this is the case though.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:18 AM

Ya I'm looking more for the large company option, like a gas, oil, or logging company.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 08-24-2017, 07:05 AM

Starting this close to hunting season with such a request may get you closer to your goal by next hunting season.

By the time the BOD get their legal team involved, and a risk vs reward analysis is complete, you may get an answer.

Good luck.

There are no absolutes
Old 08-24-2017, 08:31 AM

Find the owner and ask. But due to liability reasons I highly doubt a company is going to say yes to a stranger.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:00 AM

Corporate land is like any other private deeded land. You need explicit permission. And I can't imagine the legal department of any corporation OK'ing that one. There is zero reason for them to take on the risk... you getting hurt, you shooting someone or something, you damaging their facility, anti's getting on their case... PLUS many/most companies have a very clear weapons in the workplace policy. They don't let their own employees bring firearms on the property; why would they let you? I can't see any company allowing it.

Last edited by Okotokian; 08-24-2017 at 09:06 AM.